Pharmacist salary after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Back in 1990...
In [southern California], union pharmacists earned $13.25 an hour in 1980 compared to $25.50 today. That’s pretty good, considering that their pay hike was nearly 42% greater than inflation during that period.

It is particularly impressive when compared to the average worker, whose real income (after adjusting for inflation) has dropped about 10% since 1980.

$53,040 in 1990 USD ($25.50/hr at 2080 hrs) would be equivalent to about $106,520 today

Members don't see this ad.

I’m earning somewhere between $65 and $70 per hour. And I know I’m making more than many in my state. It sounds great until you realize you could work less and make more with less than a four year degree as a travel RN. Like somebody else posted above, I didn’t anticipate the stress levels and the erratic hours involved in pharmacy life. I would likely have been happier and better compensated after medical school. Pharmacy was a poor and short-sighted decision on my part.

Also note: my worksite has lost a couple of new grads over the past few years when they failed their boards more than one time. So there is always the possibility you could graduate as a PharmD, only to wind up not able to work as a pharmacist.

Reactions: 1 users
Am I the only one here who prefers to work less than 40 hrs a week?

I loved it when I was staff and I had 32 hrs, that extra off day makes a huge difference.. especially in retail. Spend that time to invest in yourself, spend time with family and in the long run it’s gonna be infinitely better than the $500 you made that day

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I loved it when I was staff and I had 32 hrs, that extra off day makes a huge difference.. especially in retail. Spend that time to invest in yourself, spend time with family and in the long run it’s gonna be infinitely better than the $500 you made that day
Loved my schedule but not the paycheck. Maybe it would have been different if I didn't have student loans. I'm much happier now with my guaranteed 40.

I would love to. I just can’t yet.