PHARMACIST SHORTAGE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sozetone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize iv'e been offline since covid, but when did Pharmacist supply become short? i see CVS cutting operational hours citing "Pharmacist shortage". I see Wags offering high sign on bonuses citing "pharmacist shortage". WTF? thats not possible. I can only assume what they mean is "NO PHARMACIST REASONABLY WANTS TO DO THIS ACTUAL JOB"...LOL. CORRECT?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You can debate the semantics between "pharmacist shortage" and "shortage of pharmacists willing to work in the current conditions "if you want. At the end of the day, there's a functional shortage of practicing retail pharmacists and we're seeing some of the pay raises and sign on bonuses that go with that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

SsQrHZG.gif

In the geographic area I'm in, the only places currently shutting their doors due to lack of pharmacists are the members of the "triad of evil" (CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid). One can only assume that pharmacists have just gotten wise and would rather leave the profession than work at such places. It's about time.....

I had to read the title 12 times to make sure I read it correctly.

• Haha
Basically there’s not a shortage of pharmacists. There’s only a shortage of pharmacists that are willing to work at Walgreens, CVS and the like.

Reactions: 4 users
Walgreens in my state has been having hard time retaining their pharmacist per my pharmacist friend.

Basically there’s not a shortage of pharmacists. There’s only a shortage of pharmacists that are willing to work at Walgreens, CVS and the like.
This…reputation, word of mouth, atrocious working conditions, & stagnant pay finally seem to be having an impact.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out when student loan pauses end (in a few months?)