VA Pharmacy Shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

workingfarmer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true VA now has a pharmacy shortage so title 5 benefits for the hybrid T38 positions do not apply since it's considered a shortage position?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it true VA now has a pharmacy shortage so title 5 benefits for the hybrid T38 positions do not apply since it's considered a shortage position?
no, still getting hybrid 38 benefits

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
WTF did you get that from? The shortage if occurs means management can break Title 5 rules on hiring and firing and pay. For pay, only in your favor. On hiring, only if you want outsiders.
it's on the VA shortage occupation list internal on sharepoint on your end; and also on the latest VHA Critical Staffing Shortage Memo and apparent has been "critically short" for the last 5-6 years at the minimum according to "God knows what" calculations done by for shortage occupations while the outside markets are saturated

For both job series 0660 and 0661s hiring managers are skipping over veteran preference and dont require them on the questionnaires on public announcements any more

of course internal announcements never required such conditions but I am astounded by how many public announcements for 0660's do not require this preference anymore due to this memo

From VA HR:
"Pharmacist position is on the staffing shortage list so veterans preference does not apply in this instance. Although hybrid title 38 occupations follow title 5 Veterans’ preference rules, as required by the Merit Systems Protection Board (Graves v. VA, 117 M.S.P.R. 697 (2012)), 38 U.S.C. § 7412 waives the requirement to apply Veterans’ preference to external applicants for appointments made to shortage occupations that FY."

Right, 0660's have been shortaged since the 1990s and have direct Title 5 hiring. Title 5 benefits still apply though. And actually, we can waive, but we traditionally don't. It is my understanding that for merit promotions, veterans preference still applies.

Right, 0660's have been shortaged since the 1990s and have direct Title 5 hiring. Title 5 benefits still apply though. And actually, we can waive, but we traditionally don't. It is my understanding that for merit promotions, veterans preference still applies.
so the hiring managers have the option to waive veteran preferences or it's just embedded by default for the public job announcements due to this clause?

Optional, not mandatory. Has to be ahead of time though.
Ok since it's from the 1990s it sounds like an archaic HR recruiting tactic assuming vets weren't capable to get educated and bring in any value to these "highly demanding" professions "back in the day"

What I can't wrap my head around is that the vet preference is optional for HT38s with crit shortage staffe memos and T38s while there's a stipulation that ONLY vets can be hired to be VA HR job series. How does that even make any sense?

Ok since it's from the 1990s it sounds like an archaic HR recruiting tactic assuming vets weren't capable to get educated and bring in any value to these "highly demanding" professions "back in the day"

What I can't wrap my head around is that the vet preference is optional for HT38s with crit shortage staffe memos and T38s while there's a stipulation that ONLY vets can be hired to be VA HR job series. How does that even make any sense?
Welcome to OHRM, the same organization that ordered me not to fire some for being AWOL because he was in jail pending a felony conviction.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
AWOL is subjective to open interpretation outside of active duty since there is really no lawful verbal order even though VA supervisors seem to think there is.

The word Fire does not exist in the VHA regs ;)

AWOL is subjective to open interpretation outside of active duty since there is really no lawful verbal order even though VA supervisors seem to think there is.

The word Fire does not exist in the VHA regs ;)
I would think after two months of not showing up and documenting it, I could get a dismissal. Nope. It took until two years later to get him transferred to a sinecure unit to hire behind him.

• Wow