Pharmacist stuck working as a tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lcow2004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I haven't posted here in a long time but I seem to be stuck in a situation that I am hoping someone else can relate to and maybe offer suggestions on how to get out of it. I graduated pharmacy school about 6 years ago and was fortunate enough to find a job as a pharmacist right after in NYC. About a year in, I got pregnant and was let go. I wasn’t able to find another pharmacist job after for awhile (apparently nobody wanted to hire me knowing that I would have to be out on maternity soon after) so I decided to just stay home and resume my job search after having my baby. About six months after delivering, I started looking again but seemed like the job market was even tougher so I ended up taking a pharm tech job hoping that would transition to a pharmacist job shortly after (which they promised they would consider doing when I joined). It’s now been about 5 years and I’m still working here as a pharm tech. I’ve seen half a dozen new pharmacists hired on (many of which were new grads and foreign pharmacists) and some of these have already moved on to their next jobs but I’ve been passed over every single time. I’ve even tried applying for pharmacist jobs at other places and even out of state but no takers. I’m not sure if employers just see me as only able to do tech work now but I feel like it’s already been 5 years and the longer I’m not able to find a pharmacist job the likelihood of me getting back to being a pharmacist is getting even smaller. I’ve also told my current employer that I’d quit if they don’t give me a pharmacist position but I’m worried because I’m not able to find any other pharmacy related jobs elsewhere. Anyone been in this situation before?

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Hello everybody,

I haven't posted here in a long time but I seem to be stuck in a situation that I am hoping someone else can relate to and maybe offer suggestions on how to get out of it. I graduated pharmacy school about 6 years ago and was fortunate enough to find a job as a pharmacist right after in NYC. About a year in, I got pregnant and was let go. I wasn’t able to find another pharmacist job after for awhile (apparently nobody wanted to hire me knowing that I would have to be out on maternity soon after) so I decided to just stay home and resume my job search after having my baby. About six months after delivering, I started looking again but seemed like the job market was even tougher so I ended up taking a pharm tech job hoping that would transition to a pharmacist job shortly after (which they promised they would consider doing when I joined). It’s now been about 5 years and I’m still working here as a pharm tech. I’ve seen half a dozen new pharmacists hired on (many of which were new grads and foreign pharmacists) and some of these have already moved on to their next jobs but I’ve been passed over every single time. I’ve even tried applying for pharmacist jobs at other places and even out of state but no takers. I’m not sure if employers just see me as only able to do tech work now but I feel like it’s already been 5 years and the longer I’m not able to find a pharmacist job the likelihood of me getting back to being a pharmacist is getting even smaller. I’ve also told my current employer that I’d quit if they don’t give me a pharmacist position but I’m worried because I’m not able to find any other pharmacy related jobs elsewhere. Anyone been in this situation before?

As someone that was previously a hiring manager, we tend to avoid older people 55+, preggos, and women that are risk of being preggo like the plague. I think, and I know you might not want to hear this, but you have to decide between being a mother and being a pharmacist. pharmacy used to be a great choice for mothers as they could work part time as a pharmacist. But now, with the employment situation evolving the privilege of working part time is shrinking, especially with women would could become preggo.

try to see it from management's side. Why waste thousands of dollars on training hours for someone that might become preggo and drop out leaving a massive scheduling hole for months for us to fill and then all the legal issues with terminating a preggo employee, possible lawsuits, ect not to mention the all the PTO. It's just not worth the risk. Tech's make good money. Why are you not happy working as a technician? a 6 year gap is a huge red flag for any hiring manager and you will be viewed as damaged goods and a employment risk.

Have you considered going back to school for an indemand major such as nursing or computer science?

the best,

Modest

Reactions: 2 users
So 3 years ago when you were telling everyone how great pharmacy is, you have only been workng as a tech this whole time?

Honestly I don't think the market will change too much in 2018 than it is now. Pharmacy unemployment is still very low compared to most professions and still a good guarantee for a decent salary. Overall, it is still a very good field to go into.

I think there are good opportunities. You just need to find a way to differentiate yourself from others.

I think it is still possible as ony of my friends did it recently in CA and I am starting to look into this myself as I think this retail business (CVS) is not very good for me. I think the key is to make yourself stand out from all the other people that are also applying and I think you will be okay even in competitive market. Good luck!

I think you will be fine. You are still early in the process. Just try to make sure you differentiate yourself when you get into pharmacy school and do rotations that are align with your area you are trying to get into. If you can differentiate yourself from your classmates, you should be able to land a specialized residency and get into your area of specialize and have good job security.

...and that's why you need to differentiate yourself differently from other people :)

Despite all the gloom, I would still say that pharmacy as a career choice overall is still very good. Relative to other fields, pharmacy still has low unemployment and still pretty much guarantees a very good salary for the relatively easy amount of work and low responsibility needed. True it is not like how it was 10 years ago but overall still a very good option.

I'm really hoping that provider status will come around and help alleviate the situation like the article mentions. This should really help expand the role of pharmacists as they become recognized as the "true drug expert" and help break into new areas in the profession.

Despite all the gloom, I would still say that pharmacy as a career choice overall is still very good. Relative to other fields, pharmacy still has low unemployment and still pretty much guarantees a very good salary for the relatively easy amount of work and responsibility needed. True it is not like how it was 10 years ago but overall still a very good option.

These trends are all cyclical. In a few years when this wave of retiring pharmacists have retired, there will be increased demand of pharmacists again. I don't really worry about all the talk about too many pharmacy schools and too many graduates. If anything, this will get people to look more at non traditional roles for pharmacists leveraging provider status to expand the pharmacy profession :nod:

I am passionate about pharmacy because I can make a positive impact on patient lives!

Well put. Besides the job market is something nobody can control. Even if the job market is not good now when you are thinking about pharmacy school, this can easily change in the next few years by the time you graduate and vice versa. Things may not look good now but as many of the baby boomers are retiring in the next few years, this should open up a lot of jobs as well as opportunities in MTM and pharmacists being recognized as providers!

I completely agree with this. If pharmacy is your calling, you should do it no matter what anyone else tells you. If you are truly passionate about this field, you will find experiences that will make you stand out and help you differentiate yourself from the crowd and become a successful pharmacist.

Despite all the gloom, I would still say that pharmacy as a career choice overall is still very good. Relative to other fields, pharmacy still has low unemployment and still pretty much guarantees a very good salary for the relatively easy amount of work and low responsibility needed. True it is not like how it was 10 years ago but overall still a very good option.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 45 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you suggesting she kill the child and put that she is childless and sterile in her resume? How exactly can she choose between being a mom and being a pharmacist? Perhaps you meant she needs to just give up being a pharmacist?

Anyway OP forgive the tangent. Frankly you are in a tough spot. Most pharmacists wouldn’t be willing to work as a tech, period. Add to that that you have been doing it for five years I suspect most employers are going to think you are crazy. I suspect the only people willing to hire you are people who would want to take advantage of you like this employer is.

Why on earth did you allow even one pharmacists to be hired before you? THAT is when you should have given management your ultimatum- assuming it ever made sense to be hired as a tech in the first place. Once you accepted that job and let them pass you over (multiple times) you taught them that they can walk all over you. Good luck ever improving that situation.

Reactions: 11 users
Are you suggesting she kill the child and put that she is childless and sterile in her resume? How exactly can she choose between being a mom and being a pharmacist? Perhaps you meant she needs to just give up being a pharmacist?

Anyway OP forgive the tangent. Frankly you are in a tough spot. Most pharmacists wouldn’t be willing to work as a tech, period. Add to that that you have been doing it for five years I suspect most employers are going to think you are crazy. I suspect the only people willing to hire you are people who would want to take advantage of you like this employer is.

Why on earth did you allow even one pharmacists to be hired before you? THAT is when you should have given management your ultimatum- assuming it ever made sense to be hired as a tech in the first place. Once you accepted that job and let them pass you over (multiple times) you taught them that they can walk all over you. Good luck ever improving that situation.
My dear owl, i'm not defending discrimination. That is impossible. I am just attempting to explain how the machine/system unfortunately works. :(

Reactions: 1 user
So 3 years ago when you were telling everyone how great pharmacy is, you have only been workng as a tech this whole time?
my old friend stoich! how you been mate? I've seen you on r/pharmacy posting and it warms my heart seeing you doing god's work. Are you saying OP is a troll? It does seem weird that OP would say how pharmacy is so amazing while OP is having trouble finding work as a pharmacist.

Reactions: 4 users
Winner. Somebody get this guy an award.

Reactions: 15 users
As someone that was previously a hiring manager, we tend to avoid older people 55+, preggos, and women that are risk of being preggo like the plague. I think, and I know you might not want to hear this, but you have to decide between being a mother and being a pharmacist. pharmacy used to be a great choice for mothers as they could work part time as a pharmacist. But now, with the employment situation evolving the privilege of working part time is shrinking, especially with women would could become preggo.

try to see it from management's side. Why waste thousands of dollars on training hours for someone that might become preggo and drop out leaving a massive scheduling hole for months for us to fill and then all the legal issues with terminating a preggo employee, possible lawsuits, ect not to mention the all the PTO. It's just not worth the risk. Tech's make good money. Why are you not happy working as a technician? a 6 year gap is a huge red flag for any hiring manager and you will be viewed as damaged goods and a employment risk.

Have you considered going back to school for an indemand major such as nursing or computer science?

the best,

Modest

This post is pure nonsense. More women are being hired then men.

As to OP, you need to talk to whoever does the hiring. The DM should give you the answers you need. If told you aren't next in line, it's time to leave.

These threads really make no sense. You have an insider advantage, you get to actually speak to the person that does the hiring.

Last edited:
These trolls are very aggressive

Reactions: 7 users
This post is pure nonsense. More women are being hired then men.

As to OP, you need to talk to whoever does the hiring. The DM should give you the answers you need. If told you aren't next in line, it's time to leave.
There are many more female pharmDs graduating than male pharmDs. If we are talking pure nonsense I would say there are more pregnant women being hired than pregnant men as pharmacists but that doesn't mean they arn't being discriminated against. My old eyes have never seen a preggo woman hired as a pharmacist. Have your eyes seen differently?

Imagine having your mind pregnant with a dream of not being discriminated against. The dream is your baby; then having a still birth.

How does it feel to really lose?

Have you ever been so hungry you couldn't sleep?

If theres food for thought then im guilty of greed.

Last edited:
There are many more female pharmDs graduating than male pharmDs. If we are talking pure nonsense I would say there are more pregnant women being hired than pregnant men as pharmacists but that doesn't mean they arn't being discriminated against. My old eyes have never seen a preggo woman hired as a pharmacist. Have your eyes seen differently?

Imagine being pregnant with a dream of not being discriminated against and then having a still birth.

How does it feel to really lose?

Have you ever been so hungry you couldn't sleep?

If theres food for thought then im guilty of greed.
View attachment 265235

Um, the OP isn't pregnant.

Also you can't ask if a person is pregnant during an interview which goes back to the original statement your post is nonsense. More women are hired then men. According to you none of these women should be hired since all could get pregnant at any time.

I have no clue why the rest of your post was even added.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Five YEARS?! BS. Why weren't you applying to other pharmacist jobs during this period?

No way this is true. I'm not even sure it's legal for an RPh to work as a tech? o_O

Also @stoichoimetrist, excellent detective work.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is rather late to ask this question now. The 'advice' from this forum should have been sought years ago.

Now. My sources in NYC are not extensive but they are reliable enough to know that there are jobs to be had working for independents still. Just ask our friend Sparda. You might not be getting benefits or health insurance (that is working for chains) but there are plenty of pharmacies who would take weekend/vacation coverage. You are not looking in the right places.

Everything modest_anteater said sounds like the words coming out of an incel.

I agree with owle. You shouldn't have let it go this long. In fact, you probably should have sued whoever fired you if it happened after you became pregnant if you believe the firing was pregnancy related. Even if it wasn't, chances are it would have scared them into not firing you.

Honestly at this point though, you're in a tough spot. You have to give an ultimatum and follow through.

If you do decide to go job hunting elsewhere, there's no explaining why you were a tech for so long. Even a employment gap that long is unexplainable barring medical complications. You would have to go to extremes to be even remotely competitive at this point. Apply to the middle of nowhere. Fudge your resume.

Reactions: 1 users

the best,

Modest

Aren't you in school? Where did you hire people? Certainly not in a pharmacy.

A lot of your posts say that you are looking for a spouse. No offense but it's no surprise that you don't have one.

Reactions: 9 users
Being a technician would be a good experience. I would have so much fun. Here is a list of what I would do as a technician.
1. Less responsibility. I would work slowly and act dumb.
2. Piss a customer off and tell them the pharmacist will help you now.
3. Making mistakes for fun and watching the pharmacist react just for kicks. (ie typing tramadol as trazodone, or giving people a few extra benzos per fill just cause you want to test the pharmacist in charge)
4. Calling in sick on a Monday and then visit and hold up the drive through window.
5. Mixing IV bags incorrectly and pretend I was distracted planning my wedding.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Let's not forget waiting till the busiest time of the day and then feeling the need to text all 400 facebook friends "OMG...I'm SOOOO BUSY!!!!" But I think the real focus of this thread should be about how women feel being called "preggo"?

No way this is true. I'm not even sure it's legal for an RPh to work as a tech? o_O

This has been discussed elsewhere as far as legality. I think it was concluded that you CAN'T work as a tech if you hold a pharmacy license....

Five YEARS?! BS. Why weren't you applying to other pharmacist jobs during this period?

cuz this whole post is fake. come on now, people love the drama and the idea that their advice can "help" so here we are.

This has been discussed elsewhere as far as legality. I think it was concluded that you CAN'T work as a tech if you hold a pharmacy license....

While I agree on the legality, I feel like I’ve seen a certain big retail pharmacy chain bring in pharmacists to fill in for techs during license renewal periods. Apparently the story goes that the techs let their license lapse, and until they would get reinstated, they could only pull pharmacists to fill the hours.

If techs let their license lapse they should be fired (as having the license is a basic condition of employment)

cuz this whole post is fake. come on now, people love the drama and the idea that their advice can "help" so here we are.
Do you really think trolls make multiple SDN accounts years in advance, hibernate those accounts and bring them back at random times to post things like this? Seems like too much work.

I'm not so sure it's completely fake for one reason, the OP seems to be a foreign graduate from a nonbordering country, I don't care if they have an RPh, most wouldn't consider the application. But now, I would consider the application completely a nonstarter, because it would be impossible even in NYC to explain to a hiring manager why they worked so beneath their license for so long as it throws too many red flags.

And drama is a relative concern, we do give and receive help, and you are no exception to both sides of this as I remember when you were having your own doubts, but I agree, this person has not been on the level as NYC is a large enough labor market to be continually applying. There are people who can be helped, but this story is incomprehensible as there either has to be more in context (can't speak English or has a bad reputation) or the Op does not understand how the US market works.

“Pharmacy” is still a great profession for many. “Being a pharmacist” is not. She technically didn’t specify.

Unless pharmacists provide any skills or have a background perceived as valuable (verifying 500 rx a day does not count) they are just cannon fodder for retail. No need to hire people out of work for any period of time when you can roll the dice on new grads.

How can you be let go for having a kid? Nonsense. This thread is crazy pants. A small boil on your toe festered for 5 years and now you need a double amputation. I'm typically pretty softhearted but JH Christ.

Actually, the job market for pharmacists is very strong in the field of driving Uber.

• Haha
I'm not so sure it's completely fake for one reason, the OP seems to be a foreign graduate from a nonbordering country, I don't care if they have an RPh, most wouldn't consider the application. But now, I would consider the application completely a nonstarter, because it would be impossible even in NYC to explain to a hiring manager why they worked so beneath their license for so long as it throws too many red flags.

And drama is a relative concern, we do give and receive help, and you are no exception to both sides of this as I remember when you were having your own doubts, but I agree, this person has not been on the level as NYC is a large enough labor market to be continually applying. There are people who can be helped, but this story is incomprehensible as there either has to be more in context (can't speak English or has a bad reputation) or the Op does not understand how the US market works.

Have you missed out on modest anteater all these years?

• Angry
Let's not forget waiting till the busiest time of the day and then feeling the need to text all 400 facebook friends "OMG...I'm SOOOO BUSY!!!!" But I think the real focus of this thread should be about how women feel being called "preggo"?
I preferred knocked up when I twice spawned the next generation

I dunno, why would someone go online and tell lies like this.

You are a good guy tho, that much is true.

I like to ask the OP some basic questions.

Did you keep your pharmacist license active while working as a tech? Did you applied to be a technician with a technician license.

Your scenario does not fit with current strict pharmacy regulation. Pharmacist cannot work as a tech with a pharmacist license in hand. Generally, applying to grad intern position is also not an option with a pharmacist license in hand.

It doesnt matter if you are pregnant, were pregnant, or planning to be pregnant, it is not a reason to keep you as tech status....im sorry to say this post sounds untrue...aka fake.

Aren't you in school? Where did you hire people? Certainly not in a pharmacy.

A lot of your posts say that you are looking for a spouse. No offense but it's no surprise that you don't have one.
Mmm nice personal attack! I see you are a fan of ad hominems. I hired people at a large international company of 15,000 it was not related to pharmacy at all.

Being a technician would be a good experience. I would have so much fun. Here is a list of what I would do as a technician.
1. Less responsibility. I would work slowly and act dumb.
2. Piss a customer off and tell them the pharmacist will help you now.
3. Making mistakes for fun and watching the pharmacist react just for kicks. (ie typing tramadol as trazodone, or giving people a few extra benzos per fill just cause you want to test the pharmacist in charge)
4. Calling in sick on a Monday and then visit and hold up the drive through window.
5. Mixing IV bags incorrectly and pretend I was distracted planning my wedding.

"5. Mixing IV bags incorrectly and pretend I was distracted planning my wedding. " dude this could kill someone. Not fun to joke about.

Hello everybody,

Troll be gone. This is why no one takes sdn seriously. You won’t find this type of post on reddit. You added too much sauce to this pasta.

"5. Mixing IV bags incorrectly and pretend I was distracted planning my wedding. " dude this could kill someone. Not fun to joke about.

Quality of techs can be really bad sometimes, which is what he's pointing out. Sometimes it's hiring failure, sometimes it's people who just don't give a ****

Quality of techs can be really bad sometimes, which is what he's pointing out. Sometimes it's hiring failure, sometimes it's people who just don't give a ****

That poster is referring to one of the most well known pharmacy errors of all time. An IV tech messed up a dilution and a child died. Her excuse was that she had a wedding she was planning and was distracted.

• Wow
You guys are wild. Pharmacy community is becoming completely f****d up. The post in this thread is unbelievable. I hope karma throws those of you who deserve it in a dark hole.

You guys are wild. Pharmacy community is becoming completely f****d up. The post in this thread is unbelievable. I hope karma throws those of you who deserve it in a dark hole.

I'd be careful then if I was you.

Reactions: 6 users
I like to ask the OP some basic questions.

Did you keep your pharmacist license active while working as a tech? Did you applied to be a technician with a technician license.

Your scenario does not fit with current strict pharmacy regulation. Pharmacist cannot work as a tech with a pharmacist license in hand. Generally, applying to grad intern position is also not an option with a pharmacist license in hand.

It doesnt matter if you are pregnant, were pregnant, or planning to be pregnant, it is not a reason to keep you as tech status....im sorry to say this post sounds untrue...aka fake.

I have an active pharmacist license now. When I was a tech, I lost the license for a few years due to some personal issues but I reapplied and have my license now. I was able to work as a tech because I also got a tech license and was not able to find a pharmacist job. I was told by my employer that I could work as a tech temporarily and then when a pharmacist job opens up, I can then apply for it. I actually didn't mind the time as a tech because it gave me a chance to work less hours and take care of my baby but now I am looking for a pharmacist job.

Now that makes more sense why you could work as a technician.

It is great to hear that you have your pharmacist license reinstated. If there were any probation on your license, it would make your application less desireable.

I hope all goes well for you.

While I agree on the legality, I feel like I’ve seen a certain big retail pharmacy chain bring in pharmacists to fill in for techs during license renewal periods. Apparently the story goes that the techs let their license lapse, and until they would get reinstated, they could only pull pharmacists to fill the hours.

I don't know about chains, but I have seen (rarely!) pharmacists scheduled to replace technicians when for whatever reason, no technicians were available to work. However the pharmacists were paid at a pharmacist salary, and they were still pharmacists, even if they were doing the work that would have normally been done by technicians (ie cart/pyxis/omnicell replenishment.) I can't imagine any employer asking a pharmacist to "fill in" as a technician, and then downgrade them to technician pay that day.

It could possibly vary from state to state, but from talk on this board, in most states, 1 is either a pharmacist or a technician, they can't be licensed as both.

I have an active pharmacist license now. When I was a tech, I lost the license for a few years due to some personal issues but I reapplied and have my license now. I was able to work as a tech because I also got a tech license and was not able to find a pharmacist job. I was told by my employer that I could work as a tech temporarily and then when a pharmacist job opens up, I can then apply for it. I actually didn't mind the time as a tech because it gave me a chance to work less hours and take care of my baby but now I am looking for a pharmacist job.

As ALWAYS with these kinds of stories, there is always ALOT more then is told by the OP. As someone else mentioned, if your license currently has any restrictions, that would explain why you are not able to get a pharmacist job. In which case, you need to work on getting those restrictions removed, you will have a much better chance of getting a pharmacist job at that point .

I don’t believe it would be “illegal” for a pharmacist to work as a tech in most states. Don’t interns do it all the time in most states? Why would it be legal for an intern and illegal for a pharmacist?

More practically, what can a tech do that a pharmacist can’t? Would it be more ‘legal’ to give the pharmacist an RPh job code but pay them a tech rate and only allow them to do tech work? Functionally what would be the difference?

I don’t believe it would be “illegal” for a pharmacist to work as a tech in most states. Don’t interns do it all the time in most states? Why would it be legal for an intern and illegal for a pharmacist?

More practically, what can a tech do that a pharmacist can’t? Would it be more ‘legal’ to give the pharmacist an RPh job code but pay them a tech rate and only allow them to do tech work? Functionally what would be the difference?

I agree, but it's actually illegal in FL as techs are licensed ("registered") separately than pharmacists, Brushwood actually told a couple of anecdotes about Walgreens pulling this stunt in Miami getting them sanctioned. To work as a tech, you actually have to have a tech license even if you have a pharmacist one and a pharmacist education! In FL, you would code as a pharmacist but work tech, but the difference is the authorization to be in the pharmacy is role-dependent (as well as ratio dependent in the states that require it still).

I agree, but it's actually illegal in FL as techs are licensed ("registered") separately than pharmacists, Brushwood actually told a couple of anecdotes about Walgreens pulling this stunt in Miami getting them sanctioned. To work as a tech, you actually have to have a tech license even if you have a pharmacist one and a pharmacist education! In FL, you would code as a pharmacist but work tech, but the difference is the authorization to be in the pharmacy is role-dependent (as well as ratio dependent in the states that require it still).

How do interns work as techs then? Or do you suppose that is illegal as well?

Do you have a link to those sanctions? I am willing to believe this when I see it with my own eyes. ;)

No country for failed pharmacists

How do interns work as techs then? Or do you suppose that is illegal as well?

Do you have a link to those sanctions? I am willing to believe this when I see it with my own eyes. ;)

Minutes only go back to 2011, my memory of this was around 2007-2008.

We actually have had this discussion before, remember the old intern supervision ratios in FL that finally had the Board repeal them around the 2010 era? The issue was that under the ratios, interns over a certain limit were used as techs without the relevant tech license, which caused a nonissue in the pharmacy, but paperwork headaches at the Board for hours tracking.

\
This is expressly illegal in my state. As is pharmacists seeking tech permits.

So interns can't work as techs in your state? Interesting. I would think that would really limit employment options for them.