pharmacist to med-student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxgirl10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating pursuing medicine after finishing a six year pharmacy program and after working for one year. I am extremely unhappy with my current position and feel that a career change is necessary.

I'm just not sure how to proceed. It has been 5 years since I have taken physics and organic, 6 years since bio and chem. All of the pre-med prerequisites have been completed but my gpa is poor.

Do I have to do a masters to improve my GPA and then apply to med school. Do my old prerequisites even count? I have heard of specific two-three year programs that are catered for non-traditional students who have to re-take there prerequisites, but does anyone know what the official title is? or an example of one?

Sorry for the long post, im new here. I hope I posted in the correct section. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

what don't you like about being a pharmacyst?

I completed post graduate pharmacy to become a clinical pharmacist. So, though I have only been working for one year, I am actually about two years out of school. I think the reasons for my unhappiness surround the fact that I want to be more involved in patient care. I am always being pulled off the medical floor to attend administrative meetings and so forth. In order to help patients and be a part of the health care team I have to be available, and I find that most of the time I have to miss medical rounds.

I have discussed this issue with my mentor and many other older clinical pharmacists. They all say the same thing. Either I have to enter academics (I have some experience in that, but NO interest full time) or accept the situation as is. Basically the pharmacy job I am looking for does not exist right now. As some of these individuals are extremely accomplished and have experience in their fields I am inclined to believe them.

Hope this clarifies, thanks for the post.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm fearing what you're saying about pharmacy and patient interaction. I'm currently in pharmacy school but I'm applying to med school right now. From what I hear, being a pharmacist is very advantageous when applying to med school considering the medical knowledge that you have. Good Luck!

i want to hear more myself, im contemplating taking the MCAT...

That's interesting, I actually heard that applying to med from a professional program (pharm) would give the med school doubts because they don't want people who use professional programs as a stepping stone rather than a road to a career. But your situation was not pre-planned so I guess you don't have to worry about that.

That's interesting, I actually heard that applying to med from a professional program (pharm) would give the med school doubts because they don't want people who use professional programs as a stepping stone rather than a road to a career. But your situation was not pre-planned so I guess you don't have to worry about that.

Honestly, when you think about, any person from a professional background applying to med school has a lot of endurance. If a person has completed 6 years of hard course work AND still wants to pursue medical school, then it shows they aren't clowning around.

If I was an Adcom I would without a doubt accept a pharmacist b/c they are probably the most aware of what career they want b/c they have seen the health care field first hand

s
I am contemplating pursuing medicine after finishing a six year pharmacy program and after working for one year. I am extremely unhappy with my current position and feel that a career change is necessary.

I'm just not sure how to proceed. It has been 5 years since I have taken physics and organic, 6 years since bio and chem. All of the pre-med prerequisites have been completed but my gpa is poor.

Do I have to do a masters to improve my GPA and then apply to med school. Do my old prerequisites even count? I have heard of specific two-three year programs that are catered for non-traditional students who have to re-take there prerequisites, but does anyone know what the official title is? or an example of one?

Sorry for the long post, im new here. I hope I posted in the correct section. Thanks in advance!

I am starting medical school in August 2008. Just like you, I have realized that pharmacy couldn't give me the depth of clinical interactions I was looking for after practicing retail for 6 years.

Even though the reasons that led me to pharmacy may be different than yours, I can definitely assert you that one primordial question every med school adcom will want a non-trad applicant to answer is: WHY MEDICAL SCHOOL NOW? and implicitly they want to know WHAT EXACTLY YOU ARE PLANNING TO DO WITH YOUR MEDICAL DEGREE (ie: pharmacy experience makes you want to focus in a specific area of medicine).
Another question that you should sincerely answer to yourself is: ARE YOU WILLING TO SACRIFICE A WELL PAID JOB FOR GOING BACK SCHOOL FOR AT LEAST 7 YEARS AND POSSIBLY INCREASE YOUR DEBT BY ANOTHER $100,000 ? It seems like a stupid question, but take time to really ponder it. If Your answer is YES, then ask yourself WHY? and think about it again. OK...... I guess you get my point.

As far as your grades, the oldest prerequesites that I submitted were 11 years old. So, I assume that yours will count too. Nevertheless, I would recommend that you contact the school's admission office directly and ask them about your old prerequesites.

I don't know what kind of grades you had, but adcom does not give any preferential treatments to graduate/professional students. If you have at least a 3.6 overall GPA and MCAT score of 30, you should be competitive at most of the US allopathic schools. I also recommend that you contact the Deans of Admission from the different schools you are planning to apply to see how competitive your grades are. Some schools differ in the way they evaluate a graduate/professional student by puting more emphasis on undergrad classes vs graduate/professional classes or vice versa.

The special Masters and the Post-baccalaureate Premedical studies are 2 programs that many non-traditional students pursue in order to increase their GPA and gain acceptance to medical schools. A few medical schools actually will offer you an acceptance granted you do well in their post-bacc program. I am not too familiar with these programs but you can google these programs online, you should be able to get plenty of info. Again, I don't know how bad your grades are but these programs should be the last resort in your case considering the amount of classes that you have already taken to get your PharmD. As I said before, contact the different medical schools and talk to the Dean of Admission. You'll be surprise to how receptive they are, especially to non-trad student. Here's a link from aamc: http://services.aamc.org/postbac/.

There are also Osteopathic Medical schools, they tend to be friendlier to older, "non-trad" applicants. If you interestered in primary care and/or working in underserved areas, this might be a good fit for you.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'll try to help you as much as I can. GOOD LUCK whatever your decision!!!!

Last edited:
i know someone who graduated with a bachelor's intended for med school application but then she didn't like "the problems of being a doctor" and therefore, applied to pharm school instead.

she's in her 2nd year of pharm school.