Pharmacist to plea "No Contest" in chemotherapy compounding error.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I searched, but didn't find this posted anywhere. I was in a Medication Error Assessment meeting during my hospital rotation, and this ISMP article came up for review.

Article for reference

The main take home point: According to the news report, a former Ohio pharmacist will plead no contest next month to involuntary manslaughter of a 2-year-old child who died in 2006 as a result of a chemotherapy compounding error.

The error was that of isotonicity I believe - too much 23.4% NaCl according to the article. Very sad - I hope this doesn't set a precedent though. This is an American this time, which kind of changes my feelings about the issue.
 
I searched, but didn't find this posted anywhere. I was in a Medication Error Assessment meeting during my hospital rotation, and this ISMP article came up for review.

Article for reference

The main take home point: According to the news report, a former Ohio pharmacist will plead no contest next month to involuntary manslaughter of a 2-year-old child who died in 2006 as a result of a chemotherapy compounding error.

The error was that of isotonicity I believe - too much 23.4% NaCl according to the article. Very sad - I hope this doesn't set a precedent though. This is an American this time, which kind of changes my feelings about the issue.

It's already been posted. Haha. Fail.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my 12 hour shift with no break has made me delerious....still made me laugh, thanks!
I hear ya! My day was crazy, too. Enjoyable, but crazy nonetheless.

So... we got killed today! One girl called off, the system was down for 3 hours between 8 and 11am, our morning pharmacist was a floater, the order was delivered this morning, and our script count was comparable to a Monday morning- not a Wednesday morning.
 
Note that Monday still a busy day in USA. Used to be in UK but since pharmacies have been collecting repeat scripts etc from Drs surgeries(offices), Monday has become a quiet day (relatively) as Drs closed for week end. No Gp provides cover these days at weekends, taken care of by specialist firms who sometimes import Drs from EU for weekend. Two deaths recently.

I prefer to work Mondays now, Tuesday is horrendous, as are Fridays.

Saturdays and Sundays, where worked are 'catch up' days.

johnep
 
Note that Monday still a busy day in USA. Used to be in UK but since pharmacies have been collecting repeat scripts etc from Drs surgeries(offices), Monday has become a quiet day (relatively) as Drs closed for week end. No Gp provides cover these days at weekends, taken care of by specialist firms who sometimes import Drs from EU for weekend. Two deaths recently.

I prefer to work Mondays now, Tuesday is horrendous, as are Fridays.

Saturdays and Sundays, where worked are 'catch up' days.

johnep


Super duper.