Pharmacist Volunteer opportunities

Started by iamaninja
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

iamaninja

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently looking for a job in the Bay Area and have limited experience. I was thinking its probably a good idea to try and volunteer somewhere to make myself useful and gain some experience. I would like to get into hospital pharmacy and volunteering somewhere that I could gain an inroads into hospital would be great. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Any ideas?
 
I'm currently looking for a job in the Bay Area and have limited experience. I was thinking its probably a good idea to try and volunteer somewhere to make myself useful and gain some experience. I would like to get into hospital pharmacy and volunteering somewhere that I could gain an inroads into hospital would be great. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Any ideas?
how did you get your license if you have a limited experience?
 
Last edited:
Limited experience outside of school, and I've been out of pharmacy for about 4 years so wouldn't mind getting back in the swing of things while job hunting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For realz? That seems more fun

Can you get into hosp by doing overnights or some other undesirable shift? That would help. I don't know about that particular job market but I see overnight Positions around here quite a bit
 
Anyone work in a hospital with volunteer pharmacists?

I'm guessing it's uncommon and not a very feasible way of gaining inpatient or outpatient hospital experience and/or networking.

Most pharmacy volunteering that I'm familiar with involves scut work, cashiering, etc. and is done by kids trying to get into pharmacy school.

Maybe attending professional meetings would be a better way to network?

Best of luck!
 
professional poker player[/QUOTE]

Glad to see a fellow poker player! How many WSOP tournaments have you played in?
 
For realz? That seems more fun

Can you get into hosp by doing overnights or some other undesirable shift? That would help. I don't know about that particular job market but I see overnight Positions around here quite a bit

Ya I have no problem taking undesirable shifts to get my foot in the door.

professional poker player

Glad to see a fellow poker player! How many WSOP tournaments have you played in?[/QUOTE]

Spent 3 summers playing the WSOP.
 
For realz? That seems more fun

Can you get into hosp by doing overnights or some other undesirable shift? That would help. I don't know about that particular job market but I see overnight Positions around here quite a bit

Probably going to have a hard time getting hired to work at night with the 4 years of not practicing pharmacy, as most nightshift pharmacists are by themselves.
 
Probably going to have a hard time getting hired to work at night with the 4 years of not practicing pharmacy, as most nightshift pharmacists are by themselves.

And no matter where they work, they will be working at that facility for 6 months or more on the day and evening shifts until they learn the main ropes.

As for other volunteer opportunities, what about the Haight-Ashbury clinic or other free or low-cost clinics in the SF area?

BTW, how are you going to explain THAT gap in your work experience? Not my problem, I realize. Gosh, and I thought my own semi-retirement and home-based business would be hard to explain away. I took advantage of yesterday's icebox to do some CEs. That actually felt kind of good. 🙂
 
And no matter where they work, they will be working at that facility for 6 months or more on the day and evening shifts until they learn the main ropes.

As for other volunteer opportunities, what about the Haight-Ashbury clinic or other free or low-cost clinics in the SF area?

BTW, how are you going to explain THAT gap in your work experience? Not my problem, I realize. Gosh, and I thought my own semi-retirement and home-based business would be hard to explain away. I took advantage of yesterday's icebox to do some CEs. That actually felt kind of good. 🙂

Ya the free clinics or low cost clinics were ideally the area I'd like to try and volunteer in, even if I don't get much practical work experience it would be nice to help out people in need.

As for the gap I am just being up front about it and highlighting the positive skills that I developed playing poker.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ya the free clinics or low cost clinics were ideally the area I'd like to try and volunteer in, even if I don't get much practical work experience it would be nice to help out people in need.

As for the gap I am just being up front about it and highlighting the positive skills that I developed playing poker.

Are you serious about playing poker or just kidding!?!😱
 
Ya the free clinics or low cost clinics were ideally the area I'd like to try and volunteer in, even if I don't get much practical work experience it would be nice to help out people in need.

As for the gap I am just being up front about it and highlighting the positive skills that I developed playing poker.

Did you try SF general am care clinics ? They have evening clinics there as well. Not the cream of the crop patient population but amazing people to work with overall and extraordinary pharm running the place.

Are you a UCSF grad ? Did you try getting in touch with Alumni association ?
 
Are you serious about playing poker or just kidding!?!😱

Nope, there are a whole subset of people who play the game professionally, mainly online but that has changed within the last 1.5 years with the DOJ clamping down on the main offshore sites.
Did you try SF general am care clinics ? They have evening clinics there as well. Not the cream of the crop patient population but amazing people to work with overall and extraordinary pharm running the place.

Are you a UCSF grad ? Did you try getting in touch with Alumni association ?

No did'nt go to school in the area, I will look into this clinic and appreciate the info.