Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Pharmacists: 10th highest paying job!
Started by BMBiology
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I love how all doctors are surgeons, psychiatrists, or general practitioners.
lol, yeah we're doing pretty well.
But c'mon...opportunity cost is real. I can't wait for some future publication to do an actual OC comparison between careers.
But c'mon...opportunity cost is real. I can't wait for some future publication to do an actual OC comparison between careers.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I remember when I worked as a nurse, I had a few female co-workers who were trying to land themselves a pharmacist if you know what I mean. People in the healthcare industry respect you guys/gals. They think you are smart and have the mighty $$$.
lol, yeah we're doing pretty well.
But c'mon...opportunity cost is real. I can't wait for some future publication to do an actual OC comparison between careers.
+ 401 k + health benefits + stock options (for some of you) = a physician salary - residency - malpractice insurance - headache
I remember when I worked as a nurse, I had a few female co-workers who were trying to land themselves a pharmacist if you know what I mean. People in the healthcare industry respect you guys/gals. They think you are smart and have the mighty $$$.
LOL-- All the female nurses must be married or something or too into the doctors, because I've never seen any love towards the pharmacists.
A lot of nurses flirt with me when I'm on the unit. It's usually the worst of the worst, but it's something.LOL-- All the female nurses must be married or something or too into the doctors, because I've never seen any love towards the pharmacists.
+ 401 k + health benefits + stock options (for some of you) = a physician salary - residency - malpractice insurance - headache
If you think about it, if most pharmacists worked the hours physicians work we'd come out even or above even if you got OT. In most cases pharmacists work 40 hours a week, typically I don't see many jobs where they have to stay late or come in too early. Most physicians I know get to work around 7 and don't leave until 5-6. I believe they average workweek for most is between 55-60 hours. We'll never top specialists unless you run a successful independent, but the internists if you worked the same hours we'd come out pretty much the same.
If you think about it, if most pharmacists worked the hours physicians work we'd come out even or above even if you got OT. In most cases pharmacists work 40 hours a week, typically I don't see many jobs where they have to stay late or come in too early. Most physicians I know get to work around 7 and don't leave until 5-6. I believe they average workweek for most is between 55-60 hours. We'll never top specialists unless you run a successful independent, but the internists if you worked the same hours we'd come out pretty much the same.
I recall reading a report that broke down pay by hour for different specialties. Pharmacists came out ahead of many of them. If you're willing to work two full time jobs you can hang with the big boys, but many of us chose this profession because we didn't want that type of work life.
If you think about it, if most pharmacists worked the hours physicians work we'd come out even or above even if you got OT. In most cases pharmacists work 40 hours a week, typically I don't see many jobs where they have to stay late or come in too early. Most physicians I know get to work around 7 and don't leave until 5-6. I believe they average workweek for most is between 55-60 hours. We'll never top specialists unless you run a successful independent, but the internists if you worked the same hours we'd come out pretty much the same.
My wife is subspecialist and she usually puts in 50 hours/week. Hours are pretty good unless she has an early 7am surgery case.
A lot of the internists I work with are working 55-60 for much less
D
deleted158872
on the same website, i found only 3 full-time pharmacist positions in the entire country: http://www.careercast.com/jobs/results/keyword/pharmacist
Keep scrolling there sparky 😉
Websites that rank the pharmacist job as a high ranked job seem to be in cahoots with the deans who open up new pharmacy schools.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In cahoots with the websites? Hardly...there isn't any money left to give Forbes, Yahoo, and CareerBuilder once the Bureau of Labor Statistics cashes their check.
Pharmacy does pay well, most I know make between 105-145k a year. That's not fluffing numbers, for full-time 40 hr a week work most make around that much.
only chicks I seem to find barking up my tree are techs!
they seem to get more desperate if they're in their 30's/single...
man would they be disappointed if they married me...dreams of a 6-figure lifestyle of the rich and famous...stuck maxing out roth 401k, making monthly budgets, and driving a 15 y'old ford, lol
they seem to get more desperate if they're in their 30's/single...
man would they be disappointed if they married me...dreams of a 6-figure lifestyle of the rich and famous...stuck maxing out roth 401k, making monthly budgets, and driving a 15 y'old ford, lol
The only reason nurses were interested in me is because I'm naturally hot 😎
..
Last edited:
10 new schools just opened on the news....
10 new schools just opened on the news....
I didn't say everyone is doing well!
The reason why nurses flirt with MDs over pharmacist has a lot to do with frequency and level of interaction. Most nurses only know the pharmacist over the phone vs a young doctor giving her orders. Once your name becomes known as a department director, and you show yourself on the floor representing pharmacy, there is a bit more attention being paid to you.
But as a 30 something married guy, my word of advice is: tread carefully to where so many has easily gone before. Too many MDs who are smart have dumped their wives who stood by their side while they were poor students for the gold diggers who will haunt them. I met my wife the first year as pharmacy students, I wouldn't betray her for she was there when I came crashing home a tired resident after a 20 hr day. Stand by those who earned your loyalty.
But as a 30 something married guy, my word of advice is: tread carefully to where so many has easily gone before. Too many MDs who are smart have dumped their wives who stood by their side while they were poor students for the gold diggers who will haunt them. I met my wife the first year as pharmacy students, I wouldn't betray her for she was there when I came crashing home a tired resident after a 20 hr day. Stand by those who earned your loyalty.
But as a 30 something married guy, my word of advice is: tread carefully to where so many has easily gone before. Too many MDs who are smart has dumped their wives who stood by their side while they were poor students for the gold diggers who will haunt them. I met my wife the first year as pharmacy students, I wouldn't betray her for she was there when I came crashing home a tired resident after a 20 hr day. Stand by those who earned your loyalty.
*Applause*
I applause you but at the same time it is sad that being a decent person and doing what you are supposed to is considered applause-able nowadays lol.The reason why nurses flirt with MDs over pharmacist has a lot to do with frequency and level of interaction. Most nurses only know the pharmacist over the phone vs a young doctor giving her orders. Once your name becomes known as a department director, and you show yourself on the floor representing pharmacy, there is a bit more attention being paid to you.
But as a 30 something married guy, my word of advice is: tread carefully to where so many has easily gone before. Too many MDs who are smart have dumped their wives who stood by their side while they were poor students for the gold diggers who will haunt them. I met my wife the first year as pharmacy students, I wouldn't betray her for she was there when I came crashing home a tired resident after a 20 hr day. Stand by those who earned your loyalty.
I can't imagine myself doing otherwise in your position though--would you say it was hard or something? Just curious.
I applause you but at the same time it is sad that being a decent person and doing what you are supposed to is considered applause-able nowadays lol.
I can't imagine myself doing otherwise in your position though--would you say it was hard or something? Just curious.
Disclaimer: I'm a Chinese american, divorce is shameful until my generation. My parents didn't see each other for a few years having been separated by the Pacific and they stayed true to each other.
That's where individual beliefs comes into play, what kind of a person you want to be. As 30 somethings, we are not naïve to the things in life. My eyes aren't blind but I also remember my wife's kindness and sacrifices.
So to answer your question, no, it's not too hard when you can remember and want to come home to your family. There is too much injustice in the world already, but at least in my home, there will be no repaying kindness and loyalty with betrayal.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 748
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 540