Pharmacists #2 in Gallup Poll.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If the public was aware of the amount of errors made by nurses, they would not be number one.

number one in med errors, maybe....

Members don't see this ad :)
not saying we're perfect.....but I call 'em like I see 'em.

In my area, the # of errors I see is scary. Careless, incorrect voicemail messages, poor communication, lack of drug knowledge, incorrect written RX's. Accidents waiting to happen...

If the public was aware of the amount of errors made by nurses, they would not be number one.

sorry i'd have to disagree abt dat, B4 a bed side nurse makes a med error, it must have come from the doctors and it is the fnction of the pharmacist to check it out before bringing it to the floor. U cant blame the nurse whose soul purpose is not the medication. They help by confirming if it is right or wrong, and u cant blame them. Most doctors dont know their patients, try to give med orders over the phone without the right pronounciation(different doctors from different backgrounds), and if there's med error who can blame the nurse who has 6 patients to take care of.

And trust me their ethics is way better. Pounded into their brains during school.

sorry i'd have to disagree abt dat, B4 a bed side nurse makes a med error, it must have come from the doctors and it is the fnction of the pharmacist to check it out before bringing it to the floor. U cant blame the nurse whose soul purpose is not the medication. They help by confirming if it is right or wrong, and u cant blame them. Most doctors dont know their patients, try to give med orders over the phone without the right pronounciation(different doctors from different backgrounds), and if there's med error who can blame the nurse who has 6 patients to take care of.

And trust me their ethics is way better. Pounded into their brains during school.

What?

Well seeing as in a hospital they pretty much give all the meds (short of weird IV pushes), that would make them #1 in med errors by default...

The fact they give the meds doesnt mean they ordered them and by the way they do cross check the doses (which is the function of the pharmacist) but u'd be surprised at how pharmacist would not cross check the doctors orders b4 bringing them and expecting the nurse to do the job. Then the patient is kept waiting for the meds.

And now that the nurses are now susceptible to a medical lawsuit u'd be surprised at how extra careful these nurses are to giving the wrong medication

And talking about IV pushes different nurses have their different technique and ways to deal with those. If u've not been there u wont understand. So i'm about to get both of these 2 similar but different worlds, mayb i'd be able to see it from ur standpoint when i get to pharmacy school.

but from a nurse's standpoint at present i believe the nurses do most of the job that a physician or a pharmacist ought to be doing.

Hope no offense

I totally agree with u. we are all humans

Well seeing as in a hospital they pretty much give all the meds (short of weird IV pushes), that would make them #1 in med errors by default...

Agreed. If you're the one giving 90% of the medication then it would only follow that on average, 90% of whatever med errors occur would involve you administering the medication.