Pharmacists administering vaccinations...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't remember the brand. It's been a year and I moved cross country and am no longer using that brand currently. You can tell the needle is duller b/c if you have to use a 2nd bottle of vaccine to draw from it's harder to penetrate the rubber with the needle. No angle. You just go in straight and sometimes it flops a bit, like the needle is not firmly in place in the center and it's not sharp enough to go in without more pressure. Crap, I say.

The sound ours made was sort of like a finger snap, hard to miss. I do distract people by talking and all that, but if you don't tell them there will be a sound, they get a little disturbed. I settled for "When you hear a little click, it's already done."

yah, the retractables we had would be "bendy" too. but i still prefer them to having to flick up the protective cover. i just go from arm to sharps container if i don't have a self-retracting needle.

Members don't see this ad.

Well - first, we don't get paid by the rx - mostly on salary/hourly, etc....

If the rx count increases, so does our labor model - we get more staff to compensate - really no busier than any other day, particularly since the actual rx can be run anytime - it doesn't have to be run at the time you give the injection.

From the public health perspective, it is more available at a pharmacy than anywhere else. Just try to get into see a physician for a URI & you wait 5 days in my area (fortunately long enough for the URI to resolve), so a flu shot appt is waaaaay down there on the list of "needs to be seen" pts.

In my area, there are no nurses to give the injections. We have a huge shortage of nurses, so pharmacists do them.

Flu shots are a huge money maker for the corporation/pharmacy, altho the individual pharmacist doesn't make any more money.

Its also a way to get out there & talk to your patients about all sorts of things. You'd be surprised what comes up in that conversation. You build trust, credibility, reinforce accessibiliity & frankly spend the time with the patient the physician can't/won't.

As for students in CA giving them - yes they can, after training & certification. But, actually giving them will depend on whatever contractual arrangement the pharmacy/corporation has with the school. At that point, it becomes a matter of liability coverage the school carries for the student in an out-of-school setting. If I have an intern on a rotation, they can do it under my supervision. But, if I have an intern who is just working & not on a rotation, no they cannot, even if its the same intern. It gets complicated, but has to do with what our contract with the school is & whose liability coverage applies.

For pharmacists administering - be sure your liability coverage extends to injections - not all do. Even more important for those who don't carry their own coverage - make sure your employer liability covers extended services like these.

yep, your regular customers really appreciate not having to go to a flu clinic and wait in line to get the shot. you get an extra rx. can counsel the benefits of flu and pneumonia shots for patient's that you clearly know need it. etc.