Pharmacists can't write excuse notes???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't recall saying I would give patients unnecessary testing to avoid making them mad. If you can cite me on that I'd love to either clarify or recant that because that isn't a good idea

With regard to patients being sent to the doctor's office for a runny nose and the doctor simply discussing symptoms and relevant past medical history with the patient, you stated:
If a patient takes the time to drive to a doc's office, I don't think they are getting good primary care if they aren't offered more of an interaction than that (which maybe they decline, but it should be provided)

What necessary intervention for a runny nose are you providing in that interaction?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With regard to patients being sent to the doctor's office for a runny nose and the doctor simply discussing symptoms with the patient, you stated:

"If a patient takes the time to drive to a doc's office, I don't think they are getting good primary care if they aren't offered more of an interaction than that (which maybe they decline, but it should be provided)"

What necessary intervention for a runny nose are you providing in that interaction?

Using old school quotation marks due some crazy formatting that developed with the other stuff

He did say interaction and not intervention. Im assuming he means a physician-patient interaction in the form of a formal assessment/history/physical and whatever advice or plan comes of that.

There's always a nuance to whatever complaint the patient has. Just as I wouldn't be comfortable being he ultimate source to evaluate say a subtle neurological problem, a primary may not be comfortable with the nuance of evaluating chest pain or syncope and send them to me for the final say. I would still a thorough exam and history even if it is just musculoskeletal chest wall pain and nothing further is needed.

He wasn't implying unneeded testing or medications.

Reactions: 1 users
He did say interaction and not intervention. Im assuming he means a physician-patient interaction in the form of a formal assessment/history/physical and whatever advice or plan comes of that.

There's always a nuance to whatever complaint the patient has. Just as I wouldn't be comfortable being he ultimate source to evaluate say a subtle neurological problem, a primary may not be comfortable with the nuance of evaluating chest pain or syncope and send them to me for the final say. I would still a thorough exam and history even if it is just musculoskeletal chest wall pain and nothing further is needed.

He wasn't implying unneeded testing or medications.
Okay, but the symptom was runny nose. It wasn't chest pain. I wouldn't be arguing about a person with chest pain being sent to urgent care. I appreciate the clarification on intent though. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
+1
Yeah, the medical student seems to be too hung up on a bit of semantics, or they might just be ignorant of the reality of healthcare in the US.

Hopefully they'll become a bit wiser once they actually have real world experience and the novelty of the letters behind our names wears off.

Exactly, this is either an issue of semantics or a gross misconception of pharmacist-facilitated self-care and of pharmacist training and practice. Either way, they don't seem to realize how unnecessary and inappropriate it would be for a pharmacist to refer every person that came up to the pharmacy counter with a question about how to treat whatever symptom they are presenting with. Pharmacists have been making recommendations for self-care and assessing the need for referral since the advent of community pharmacy (The Role of the Pharmacist in the Health Care System). Saying it's inappropriate for pharmacists to provide this service is straight-up wrong.

I'm actually all about this sb[randomnumbers] fellow. Imagine how much easier work would be.

"Hey, I'm having trouble falling asleep. Is there a good sleep aid out in the aisles you can recommend?"
"I'm sorry. They removed the part of my brain that can identify problems and conjure potential remedies in pharmacy school. You need to go see a physician."

"I got athlete's foot. Got an antifungal you recommend?"
"Sorry, that's not in my scope of practice" *continues counting, smile on face*

****, this guy is going to revolutionize our practice.

Reactions: 8 users
:laugh: you're going places.
He is correct. Just because the law allows someone to do something doesn't mean that they are competent in their abilities to perform said thing. Pharmacist training is not designed to provide a foundation for competent clinical diagnosis and patient management, regardless of what the law allows. I would love to have you any of the dozens of patients that seemed straightforward but had underlying life threatening diagnoses that I have come across this year alone- the patient who comes in for the sniffles but had a carotid artery aneurysm that could easily have proven fatal if not for a thorough physical, the patient with vague fatigue and fever that had extensive vegetations on a heart valve, the patient with a headache that had a brain tumor but had symptoms that were nearly identical to the one with birth control headaches or the other one with new onset sleep apnea- I could go on and on. Medicine isn't easy if it is practiced correctly, and competence is a hard-earned thing that requires thousands of hours of foundational work followed by thousands of hours of clinical practice centered around direct diagnosis and management of patients.

The law can feel free to grant the practice of diagnosis and care to whomever it wants, but I maintain that those who are not physicians are largely going to be completely lacking in true medical competence.

Reactions: 1 user
With regard to patients being sent to the doctor's office for a runny nose and the doctor simply discussing symptoms and relevant past medical history with the patient, you stated:

There's actually a physical exam that goes along with a runny nose that allows one to determine what testing and treatment are indicated. The intervention depends on the evidence gathered from a complete exam.

He is correct. Just because the law allows someone to do something doesn't mean that they are competent in their abilities to perform said thing. Pharmacist training is not designed to provide a foundation for competent clinical diagnosis and patient management, regardless of what the law allows. I would love to have you any of the dozens of patients that seemed straightforward but had underlying life threatening diagnoses that I have come across this year alone- the patient who comes in for the sniffles but had a carotid artery aneurysm that could easily have proven fatal if not for a thorough physical, the patient with vague fatigue and fever that had extensive vegetations on a heart valve, the patient with a headache that had a brain tumor but had symptoms that were nearly identical to the one with birth control headaches or the other one with new onset sleep apnea- I could go on and on. Medicine isn't easy if it is practiced correctly, and competence is a hard-earned thing that requires thousands of hours of foundational work followed by thousands of hours of clinical practice centered around direct diagnosis and management of patients.
The law can feel free to grant the practice of diagnosis and care to whomever it wants, but I maintain that those who are not physicians are largely going to be completely lacking in true medical competence.

[ tongue in cheek ]
So, help me understand something that I'm missing.
Are Physician Assistants just operating at such a higher level if they can garner the knowledge and understanding of thousands of hours of foundational work into just ~110 credit hours?
Out of those ~110 hours, which are the ones that contain the unobtanium? Which of those 112 hours would have to be added to a Pharm.D. curriculum to make pharmacists competent in their abilities to perform said thing?

If that's not the case, and Physician Assistants are deficient, why are they allowed to diagnose and manage patients?

[ / tongue in cheek ]

EDIT:

I actually agree with you, aside from the more mystical vagueries you're referencing.

The only part I take issue with is that the vast majority of family health docs I interact with are mediocre at best.
You're in the 99th percentile compared to them.

Reality isn't meeting expectation in my experience.

The only real reason pharmacists don't have the same programs / privileges / status as NPs and PAs is that our lobbying / professional organizations are super weak and lack focus.

Last edited:
[ tongue in cheek ]
So, help me understand something that I'm missing.
Are Physician Assistants just operating at that much of a higher level if they can garner the knowledge and understanding of thousands of hours of foundational work into just ~110 credit hours?
Out of those ~110 hours, which are the ones that contain the unobtanium? Which of those 112 hours would have to be added to a Pharm.D. curriculum to make pharmacists competent in their abilities to perform said thing?

If that's not the case, and Physician Assistants are deficient, why are they allowed to diagnose and manage patients?

[ / tongue in cheek ]

EDIT:

I actually agree with you, aside from the more mystical vagueries you're referencing.

The only part I take issue with is that the vast majority of family health docs I interact with are mediocre at best.
You're in the 99th percentile compared to them.

Reality isn't meeting expectation in my experience.

The only real reason pharmacists don't have the same programs / privileges / status as NPs and PAs is that our lobbying / professional organizations are super weak and lack focus.
Well, there's the 2,000-3,000 hours of actual patient management in the seCond year of their training, and the fact that their first year is half basic sciences but half focused entirely in history, physicals, and pathophysiology. And then there's the fact that they have to practice under a physician that is there for consult in most states that can provide them with knowledge in areas they are lacking.

NPs though- the majority of them are completely incompetent coming out of the gate, outside of CRNAs.

Pharmacist training would have to change substantially for you to become actual midlevel clinicians. Only about a third of medicine is medication management, and you can't make up for your lacking in everything else by tripling down on one area.

Well, there's the 2,000-3,000 hours of actual patient management in the seCond year of their training, and the fact that their first year is half basic sciences but half focused entirely in history, physicals, and pathophysiology. And then there's the fact that they have to practice under a physician that is there for consult in most states that can provide them with knowledge in areas they are lacking.

NPs though- the majority of them are completely incompetent coming out of the gate, outside of CRNAs.

Pharmacist training would have to change substantially for you to become actual midlevel clinicians. Only about a third of medicine is medication management, and you can't make up for your lacking in everything else by tripling down on one area.
Yeah, I couldn't imagine actually practicing as a mid level.
I honestly wish mid-level wasn't even a thing.

There's so much room for us to move around within our profession, but nobody wants to pay for it. Everyone wants to play M.D.

If the doom-sayers are proven right and retail pharmacists are replaced by robots I'll just go enroll at the CIA and learn to make pasta.

There's actually a physical exam that goes along with a runny nose that allows one to determine what testing and treatment are indicated. The intervention depends on the evidence gathered from a complete exam.
To each their own, but that sounds like a huge waste of money for the patient and the healthcare system.
I suppose I could have placed necessary in bold in my original post :)

Last edited:
To each their own, but that sounds like a huge waste of money for the patient and the healthcare system
Bad medicine is how India ended up with various XDR bugs, how people go without treatment for strep throat because they figure they're just fine and end up with bad mitral valves, etc etc. You wanna live in a country with bad medicine, that's on you. India is a great example of what happens when anybody can just hand out drugs without medical training.

Bad medicine is how India ended up with various XDR bugs, how people go without treatment for strep throat because they figure they're just fine and end up with bad mitral valves, etc etc. You wanna live in a country with bad medicine, that's on you. India is a great example of what happens when anybody can just hand out drugs without medical training.

I agree with Mad Jack.

Imagine if we lived in a country where people didn't prescribe responsibly!

You'd have crazy stuff happening, like resistance to Cipro rising by 45-50% in a matter of 20 years!

Can you imagine???

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Mad Jack.

Imagine if we lived in a country where people didn't prescribe responsibly!

You'd have crazy stuff happening, like resistance to Cipro rising by 45-50% in a matter of 20 years!

Can you imagine???
Antimicrobial resistance in India: A review

We've got nothing on countries with fast and loose prescribing by profit-driven prescribers. And we've actually been trained to prescribe responsibly via recognition of viral versus bacterial etiologies based on presentation, which tbph isn't easy to do if you don't have a lot of practice at it.

I think there's a misconception that pharmacists doesn't ask follow up questions and doesn't suggest to patients when they should be seeing their doctor

I had someone asking me where the OTC water pill was, I didn't just point it out to her and send her on her way, I asked why she needed it and when she showed me her swollen legs that made a dent when pressed, I referred her to the hospital... she thanked me for weeks after they found out that it was indeed her heart that was the problem

I wonder if sb247 is going to be an ER doc, I really want to see how thorough he really is, esp with the current culture where ER docs just throw Z-paks at everyone lol

I don't get all the hype about pharmacists becoming a "midlevel" practitioner, considering we are currently the top level of our field. I guess I've been lucky to never work in the retail sweatshops out there, but I've been quite happt with the level of prestige and autonomy that has come along with my job. Maybe I'd feel different if I was a new grad dealing with the frightening job market?

I think there's a misconception that pharmacists doesn't ask follow up questions and doesn't suggest to patients when they should be seeing their doctor

I had someone asking me where the OTC water pill was, I didn't just point it out to her and send her on her way, I asked why she needed it and when she showed me her swollen legs that made a dent when pressed, I referred her to the hospital... she thanked me for weeks after they found out that it was indeed her heart that was the problem

I wonder if sb247 is going to be an ER doc, I really want to see how thorough he really is, esp with the current culture where ER docs just throw Z-paks at everyone lol
Your local ED is inadequate if that's true in your area

So, in summary of the thread, because this is getting circular:

Med student states the opinion that pharmacists aren't equipped to do self care consultations.

The consensus from pharmacists:

It's a farce to suggest that every self care consultation should or even *could* be performed by a physician due to the sheer volume of patients, lack of access, and the incredible increase in cost at the societal level.
The assumption that physicians, for minor issues at the community/urgent/ED level, are operating at the level expected is false.
Viewpoints presented from community perspective, I'm assuming.

Physician consensus:
H&P absolutely must be done got all patients, because a serious underlying issue could be found, no matter how small the main complaint.
No one is qualified to do H&P besides physicians, except maybe PAs.
The assumption that physicians, for minor issues at the community/urgent/ED level, are operating at the level expected is true.
Viewpoints presented from academic & specialty (critical care?) Perspective.

Did I get this right?

EDIT:

Note for Mad Jack,

You'd be shocked at the availability of antibiotics for purchase without a prescription within the Spanish speaking community in the US.

In Austin and San Antonio, anyone can purchase amoxil, doxy, tetracycline (especially scary), and many other Rx only drugs via Facebook

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
But also the opposite in terms of MDR bacteria. Keeping a patient with a cold out of the doctors office would be more helpful for that.

But also the opposite in terms of MDR bacteria. Keeping a patient with a cold out of the doctors office would be more helpful for that.
Unless pharmacists can just hang out whatever drugs they want, like in India... That's how they ended up with what they've got.

Unless pharmacists can just hang out whatever drugs they want, like in India... That's how they ended up with what they've got.
We definitely agree that OTC antibiotics are not good :)

p.s. What is Perinsolitum?
oh, per insolitum. I still don't know what it means though
Through/By unaccustomed alive. All to rarely leads to death. ???
I clearly don't speak/understand latin :/

Last edited:
We definitely agree that OTC antibiotics are not good :)

p.s. What is Perinsolitum?
oh, per insolitum. I still don't know what it means though
By unaccustomed. All to rarely leads to death. ??? I clearly don't speak/understand latin
It's nonsense- it seems when I was flipping my sig back and forth autocorrect screwed it up, because latin

No debate that systemic antibiotics should be Rx-only - but what about actual OTC drugs in the United States? If having a runny nose or having an episode of heartburn can be a symptom of something more serious, shouldn't we remove patients ability to self-treat and self-manage any of those things with OTC products? We should probably eliminate OTC drugs all together, and require anything that is classified as a drug, i.e. approved by the FDA to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease, require a visit to the doctor and a prescription. Otherwise, the FDA is taking liability here that it probably shouldn't - giving people the reassurance that they can just self-treat those hemorrhoids or that sore throat. /s

A visit to the doctor and receiving a full physical exam for any and every minor ailment would sure be nice, but isn't realistic. Plus, the waste of resources and potential for overdiagnosing and overtreatment probably outweigh the benefits. I still haven't seen any data indicating pharmacist-facilitated self-treatment of minor ailments leads to fatal missed diagnoses and significant harm to public health. The abx resistance example isn't relevant to US practice since systemic abx are not available OTC, and rightly so. Any condition for which systemic abx is indicated does not fall under the definition of a condition that can be self-diagnosed, self-treated, and self-managed.

No debate that systemic antibiotics should be Rx-only - but what about actual OTC drugs in the United States? If having a runny nose or having an episode of heartburn can be a symptom of something more serious, shouldn't we remove patients ability to self-treat and self-manage any of those things with OTC products? We should probably eliminate OTC drugs all together, and require anything that is classified as a drug, i.e. approved by the FDA to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease, require a visit to the doctor and a prescription. Otherwise, the FDA is taking liability here that it probably shouldn't - giving people the reassurance that they can just self-treat those hemorrhoids or that sore throat. /s

A visit to the doctor and receiving a full physical exam for any and every minor ailment would sure be nice, but isn't realistic. Plus, the waste of resources and potential for overdiagnosing and overtreatment probably outweigh the benefits. I still haven't seen any data indicating pharmacist-facilitated self-treatment of minor ailments leads to fatal missed diagnoses and significant harm to public health. The abx resistance example isn't relevant to US practice since systemic abx are not available OTC, and rightly so. Any condition for which systemic abx is indicated does not fall under the definition of a condition that can be self-diagnosed, self-treated, and self-managed.
Given that this discussion was centered around the idea of pharmacists as providers capable of diagnosing and prescribing, your whole post is kind of meaningless, because my point was that if pharmacists become prescribers, they will do more harm than good. In your current state, you are not providers, and do far more good than harm.

Given that this discussion was centered around the idea of pharmacists as providers capable of diagnosing and prescribing, your whole post is kind of meaningless, because my point was that if pharmacists become prescribers, they will do more harm than good. In your current state, you are not providers, and do far more good than harm.

One of the central arguments in this discussion is that pharmacists supposedly cannot assess whether a patient's self-report of a symptom can be self-managed or requires medical attention, since that might fall into the realm of diagnosing, and pharmacists can't diagnose, and so they should refer anyone with a runny nose to a physician.

One of the central arguments in this discussion is that pharmacists supposedly cannot assess whether a patient's self-report of a symptom can be self-managed or requires medical attention, since that might fall into the realm of diagnosing, and pharmacists can't diagnose, and so they should refer anyone with a runny nose to a physician.
It's more that a pharmacist can't tell a runny nose from a CSF leak, so they shouldn't have any involvement in diagnosis period.

Looks like my attempt to /thread failed.

LOL. I'll summarize these rabbit holes later.

It's more that a pharmacist can't tell a runny nose from a CSF leak, so they shouldn't have any involvement in diagnosis period.
Third time I've said this: a recommendation for escalation of care is a recommendation. It is based on patient assessment; and, depending on the appropriateness of the recommendation, it can have real world consequences for the patient.

For real though, it's not like you would get MR imaging on every person with a runny nose. You don't know for sure if it's a CSF leak either. There is some utility to assuming that it's probably the more likely option. We're both going to refer a person with a recent trauma history for additional tests.

I will say as both a pharmacist and soon to be physician, there's a lot of stuff I thought I understood but I really just had no idea. I want to support pharmacy scope expansion so badly, but nowadays I'm just wondering how much more there is I don't know that I don't know.

P.S. Please don't take this the wrong way. It's not disrespect.

I will say as both a pharmacist and soon to be physician, there's a lot of stuff I thought I understood but I really just had no idea. I want to support pharmacy scope expansion so badly, but nowadays I'm just wondering how much more there is I don't know that I don't know.

P.S. Please don't take this the wrong way. It's not disrespect.
I really appreciate your comment. I don't think that anything I've said has suggested a scope of practice expansion for pharmacy. Recommendations for OTC products is well within pharmacy scope of practice.

That wasn't even the main point. Are you that dense?
A big part of your point was based on a premise I've generally found to be untrue in my area. Just pointing out that if it is true in yours, that your city isn't getting a proper standard of care.

Third time I've said this: a recommendation for escalation of care is a recommendation. It is based on patient assessment; and, depending on the appropriateness of the recommendation, it can have real world consequences for the patient.

For real though, it's not like you would get MR imaging on every person with a runny nose. You don't know for sure if it's a CSF leak either. There is some utility to assuming that it's probably the more likely option. We're both going to refer a person with a recent trauma history for additional tests.
This all completely is left of field of the original point of this thread, which is that pharmacists shouldn't be writing notes, because they're completely unqualified to do so. As to whether to escalate care, I believe you can advise patients with their desired course of action just fine, but other than that things are dicey. You are who a patient sees when they elect not to seek care, because you do not provide medical care, but rather advise for the optimal course of action on the course that the patient has already chosen, or facilitate a choice, such as getting a flu vaccine, that they have already made. Sure you can do common sense things, (oh, you have a head injury, see a doctor maybe) but so can literally anyone else.

A big part of your point was based on a premise I've generally found to be untrue in my area. Just pointing out that if it is true in yours, that your city isn't getting a proper standard of care.
One, I didn't make the original statement. Two, that was not a big part of his/her point. You can actually even ignore that part and just focus on the first part. Do you disagree with that too?

It seems you don't live in an area with good physicians- the percent of patients presenting with respiratory infections that merit a Z-pak is perhaps one in ten at best. I can count the number of Z-paks we prescribed in six weeks of outpatient IM on my two hands and have a couple fingers to spare, only bad doctors hand them out like crazy.

It seems you don't live in an area with good physicians- the percent of patients presenting with respiratory infections that merit a Z-pak is perhaps one in ten at best. I can count the number of Z-paks we prescribed in six weeks of outpatient IM on my two hands and have a couple fingers to spare, only bad doctors hand them out like crazy.
Bruh. Thanks for this post.
This illustrates why perspective is so important.

If you were discussing this with a group of PGY-2 pharmacists instead of a bunch of crusty retail pharmacy goofs, I'm sure they'd be insisting that all pharmacists are elite medication experts with a place in every clinic with no extra training.

I think we're all talking about two different tiers of doctors.

You specialty M.D.s are used to doing laps at the pool with clones of Michael Phelps.

We pharmacists are the lifeguards at the Y watching Grampa Bupkis, M.D. do calisthenics in his speedo in the shallow section.

I'll edit this post later with an image of how many Zpaks we've dispensed in the past couple months when the flu flared up. I'll also point out that we do about half the volume of prescriptions of a typical CVS/Walgreens/Wal-Mart pharmacy.

I have an M.D. who does 10 day ZPAKs, every time, for crying out loud.
"That's how I've always done it. 5 days of antibiotics isn't enough"

Hopefully that will help illustrate the point they're trying to make.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh, I'll also say that in regard to edema, you could have wasted an immense amount of her time as well- if I was working up every patient I had with pedal edema for heart failure, I'd be thrown out of the office. It's like referring everyone with chest pain to the ER, it's just a huge waste of resources for everyone involved. So if acting, your anecdote supports my assessment that pharmacists lack the clinical acumen to provide anything but common sense advice (see your doctor) in the vast majority of situations. And the reason I'm stating all of this is because I'm tired of "provider" creep. Pharmacists are pushing for more patient care and expanded scope not because of qualifications, but because of market saturation leading to desperate scrambling to find new work to be done.

Bruh. Thanks for this post.
This illustrates why perspective is so important.

If you were discussing this with a group of PGY-2 pharmacists instead of a bunch of crusty retail pharmacy goofs, I'm sure they'd be insisting that all pharmacists are elite medication experts with a place in every clinic with no extra training.

I think we're all talking about two different tiers of doctors.

You specialty M.D.s are used to doing laps at the pool with clones of Michael Phelps.

We pharmacists are the lifeguards at the Y watching Grampa Bupkis, M.D. do calisthenics in his speedo in the shallow section.

I'll edit this post later with an image of how many Zpaks we've dispensed in the past couple months when the flu flared up. I'll also point out that we do about half the volume of prescriptions of a typical CVS/Walgreens/Wal-Mart pharmacy.

I have an M.D. who does 10 day ZPAKs, every time, for crying out loud.
"That's how I've always done it. 5 days of antibiotics isn't enough"

Hopefully that will help illustrate the point they're trying to make.
The fact that bad doctors exist doesn't mean pharmacists can practice good medicine.

The fact that bad doctors exist doesn't mean pharmacists can practice good medicine.

Oh, I know; that's not the argument I'm making.

We started down this rabbit hole via someone saying "well pharmacists shouldn't do the thing they've commonly been doing for decades" If that's the case, please forgive me for being trite, and show me the bodies. Show me the lawsuits.

We've gone from that initial opinion to saying "well, because they might miss X" which heavily implies that the average physician would catch X in the community setting. I'm attempting to illustrate that the last statement is highly doubtful.
It's intended to dispel the assertion that the average PCP in the community setting is going to catch a, let's be honest, super rare case of cranial CSF leak where the only symptom mimics allergic rhinitis, because that assertion is being used to support the notion that self care assessments by pharmacists are inappropriate.

FYI, in one month we dispensed #294 250mg azithromycin tablets. (48 Z-paks)
1/5 of these were dispensed alongside Tamiflu.

This is entertaining, but I think it really boils down to social tradition of the M.D.s protecting the mysticism surrounding their profession

Reactions: 4 users
There's days I dispense 10 zpaks, 5 courses of amox, 2 augmenting and a clinamycin or two at a pharmacy that fills 120 scripts a day. The idea that US doctors are not responsible for the speeding train of abx resistance is laughable.

But hey, at least they take the time to figure out it's viral infection and not a csf leak before giving the zpak is laudable. (I'm also proud that my csf leak example is being used as the rationale against self care/rph suggestions ).

Reactions: 3 users
Oh, I know; that's not the argument I'm making.

We started down this rabbit hole via someone saying "well pharmacists shouldn't do the thing they've commonly been doing for decades" If that's the case, please forgive me for being trite, and show me the bodies. Show me the lawsuits.

We've gone from that initial opinion to saying "well, because they might miss X" which heavily implies that the average physician would catch X in the community setting. I'm attempting to illustrate that the last statement is highly doubtful.
It's intended to dispel the assertion that the average PCP in the community setting is going to catch a, let's be honest, super rare case of cranial CSF leak where the only symptom mimics allergic rhinitis, because that assertion is being used to support the notion that self care assessments by pharmacists are inappropriate.

FYI, in one month we dispensed #294 250mg azithromycin tablets. (48 Z-paks)
1/5 of these were dispensed alongside Tamiflu.

This is entertaining, but I think it really boils down to social tradition of the M.D.s protecting the mysticism surrounding their profession
There's probably an uncommon thing presenting as a common thing at least once a week in primary care when I'm rotating through. 99% of those patients would be misdiagnosed by a pharmacist. A lot of them carry serious diagnoses to boot.

There's probably an uncommon thing presenting as a common thing at least once a week in primary care when I'm rotating through. 99% of those patients would be misdiagnosed by a pharmacist. A lot of them carry serious diagnoses to boot.
So your evidence that what pharmacists have been doing for decades is causing rampant harm is an anecdote that they might misdiagnose something "probably once a week"?

This reply is not linked to proper post, but broo..... you have to learn how to get the answer you want and then "hang-up". Someone agreed with you, and you kept debating the same point... good God let me hope I never reach that level of smug.

This reply is not linked to proper post, but broo..... you have to learn how to get the answer you want and then "hang-up". Someone agreed with you, and you kept debating the same point... good God let me hope I never reach that level of smug.
Ah, I thought he was being sarcastic.

This all completely is left of field of the original point of this thread, which is that pharmacists shouldn't be writing notes, because they're completely unqualified to do so. As to whether to escalate care, I believe you can advise patients with their desired course of action just fine, but other than that things are dicey. You are who a patient sees when they elect not to seek care, because you do not provide medical care, but rather advise for the optimal course of action on the course that the patient has already chosen, or facilitate a choice, such as getting a flu vaccine, that they have already made. Sure you can do common sense things, (oh, you have a head injury, see a doctor maybe) but so can literally anyone else.
Thanks, my point exactly. It's fine if I advise someone on a cold or allergy medication. Goodness that was a long road for that conclusion

We do recommend flu vaccines though. They are administered using criteria from standing orders. We don't have to wait for the patient to bring it up :)

Last edited:
100% of those patients would not be diagnosed by a pharmacist. Pharmacists don't diagnose. Did any of those cases mimic conditions that could be treated using OTC products without a referral?

Are you a doctor or pharmacist ?
A physician. He or she wrote about treating patients in a primary care setting. Also, he or she thinks pharmacists can't recommend flu vaccines. If he or she is a pharmacist he or she is definitely punking us.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wish pharmacists acted more like dentists.
Just do whatever you want because your board couldn't give less of a crap.

There was (is?) a dentist in Waco running a sleep apnea clinic. It's amazing.
Another managed their spouse's levothyroxine for years.

Ah, I thought he was being sarcastic.
Literally all of my posts are spewed forth from the eye of terror.
I should change my sig line to "SARCASM FOR THE SARCASM THRONE"

Last edited: