Pharmacists + Drugs = ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a really sad day for Midwestern.
During the term break, one of our PS-2's was caught at a WAG diverting a controlled substance. She was fired on the spot by WAG, and they apparently are intending to prosecute.

Do you all think that there is redemption from drug abuse for a pharmacist? Or is the proximity and opportunity too great for an abuser to resist?

On another sad note, Dean Slatkin of my school is officially on a unspecified leave of absence. :(

Members don't see this ad.

drug diversion puts the whole profession in a bad light...

as a pharmacist you may go through some counseling etc. however if you have any problems before you get licensed you are NEVER going to get licensed as a pharmacist... the tempations are too great for those who are addicted or selling drugs...

Oh the stories I could tell.

Let me just say this...

I have known pharmacy students and pharmacists who had problems and couldnt beat them. (notice have known...as they are no longer here)

I know pharmacy students and pharmacists who DID beat the problems.

There are programs out the for Pharmacists in rehab (PRN).

There are also a good collection of lost causes.

Originally posted by lord999
This is a really sad day for Midwestern.
During the term break, one of our PS-2's was caught at a WAG diverting a controlled substance. She was fired on the spot by WAG, and they apparently are intending to prosecute.

Do you all think that there is redemption from drug abuse for a pharmacist? Or is the proximity and opportunity too great for an abuser to resist?

On another sad note, Dean Slatkin of my school is officially on a unspecified leave of absence. :(

I think this intern should be booted from MWU and never allowed to be a pharmacist. If I had to take a guess, I would say that she was probably selling it for cash...but I don't know all the facts.

Addiction is a tricky issue...Dr. Fisher, one of the professors,
is an expert in that area. He teaches a course solely on substances of abuse and lectures for CE credits. He'll tell you that addiction, physical or psychological is very difficult to overcome (Lord999, this is just a comment for those unfamiliar with him). I think that even though an RPh may be "rehabilitated", they may slip and go back to using their drug(s) of choice when things get stressful or when life just isn't being fair.

On another note, I wonder if Dr. Slatkin's LOA is health related? He's kind of a big guy. I think what CPG needs is a dean that will not keel over to the wishes of the DO students with regards to the use of the classrooms in the Cholla building. The college needs strong leadership...something which I feel it has lacked. I guess as long as the money was flowing in, nothing else mattered
:(