Pharmacists Fight Mandatory Mail-Order Prescriptions

Started by Ericokle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NY pharmacists have been trying to get this passed for at least 8 years now and really have gotten nowhere though I can't fault Dennis to trying (he's totally a nice guy too).

And, honestly, when people have mail order issues (lost meds, late fills etc) I give them little of my time. They wanted to go to mail-order to save money on copays and premiums and when it gets screwed up they should feel the pain. I'm not going to waste hours on the phone (as referred in the article) to get you a 2 week supply only to never see you again until you need me to save the day again. I'm also not gonna answer questions for you about your mail-order drugs when you can't get through to medco.

Also, we should all be happy with mail-order because it frees up time for us to counsel.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And, honestly, when people have mail order issues (lost meds, late fills etc) I give them little of my time. They wanted to go to mail-order to save money on copays and premiums and when it gets screwed up they should feel the pain.


Be nice, some Rx benefit programs require you to use mail order. Also, people have different financial situations than yourself. Saving $5-10 per Rx for someone who takes numerous medications adds up.

Trust me, most people would prefer being able to go to a real pharmacy.
 
my brother is being forced to use mail order to get his protonix......a 3 month supply when he got it at my pharmacy was like $160 and now he is being charged closer to $200.......wtf?

I like how they force you in to it..........
 
Our insurance plan has mandatory mail order after the 2nd or 3rd fill. We didn't choose it to save money on copays or premiums. All of my husband's employer offered plans have it. I don't like it, but we don't have any mechanism to resist.

OT: Is that a pic of the new little boy's soon to be room? LOVE IT!
 
I know that CVS allows you to get your 90 day meds at mail-order prices if you have caremark insurance. Although I don't know many employers that offer caremark as their insurance provider other than CVS/Caremark.

It was nice, a few 90 day brands for only 45 bucks in-house.
 
The thing about trying to pass legislation, is that it is very rarely "mandatory" by the definition of the word. You can still get it via community pharmacy, but you'll be charged a considerably higher copay.

My firsthand experience: my girlfriend's birth control. She got a new rx from yearly checkup and so I figured I would fill it for her, out of convenience. Insurance rejected a 3-month supply, but it went through for one month at $10 copay. Next month, again $10. Month #3, suddenly $20. I called and asked why, and the friendly representative tells me the plan allows only two retail fills before a "penalty" is charged. My girlfriend was not aware of this, nor was I made aware during the two previous months when submitting the claims. While I'm on the phone, I ask if I can get an override, since she needed to start her cycle in a few more days, and mail order usually takes over a week to arrive. The friendly representative informs me then that "if the patient wants it today, they're going to pay a higher copay, they should've just used mail order from the start."

Worst part is, it's not even that the copay doubled from $10 to $20, it's that if you do go mail order, it's $20 for 3 months, so you're paying triple the price. Mandatory? No, of course not; you have the choice to pay an extra $40.
 
The thing about trying to pass legislation, is that it is very rarely "mandatory" by the definition of the word. You can still get it via community pharmacy, but you'll be charged a considerably higher copay.

My firsthand experience: my girlfriend's birth control. She got a new rx from yearly checkup and so I figured I would fill it for her, out of convenience. Insurance rejected a 3-month supply, but it went through for one month at $10 copay. Next month, again $10. Month #3, suddenly $20. I called and asked why, and the friendly representative tells me the plan allows only two retail fills before a "penalty" is charged. My girlfriend was not aware of this, nor was I made aware during the two previous months when submitting the claims. While I'm on the phone, I ask if I can get an override, since she needed to start her cycle in a few more days, and mail order usually takes over a week to arrive. The friendly representative informs me then that "if the patient wants it today, they're going to pay a higher copay, they should've just used mail order from the start."

Worst part is, it's not even that the copay doubled from $10 to $20, it's that if you do go mail order, it's $20 for 3 months, so you're paying triple the price. Mandatory? No, of course not; you have the choice to pay an extra $40.

I believe PA's legislation takes things like this into consideration. However, no one has any interest in passing it anytime soon.
 
NY pharmacists have been trying to get this passed for at least 8 years now and really have gotten nowhere though I can't fault Dennis to trying (he's totally a nice guy too).

And, honestly, when people have mail order issues (lost meds, late fills etc) I give them little of my time. They wanted to go to mail-order to save money on copays and premiums and when it gets screwed up they should feel the pain. I'm not going to waste hours on the phone (as referred in the article) to get you a 2 week supply only to never see you again until you need me to save the day again. I'm also not gonna answer questions for you about your mail-order drugs when you can't get through to medco.

Also, we should all be happy with mail-order because it frees up time for us to counsel.

Ive Known Dennis for over a decade....if anyone can pass this legislation it will PSSNY; It will happen sooner or later. Immunizations took a long time for NY, but it happened. I remember going to PAWNY meetings and listening to endless hours of legislation. I have faith in them...
 
Ive Known Dennis for over a decade....if anyone can pass this legislation it will PSSNY; It will happen sooner or later. Immunizations took a long time for NY, but it happened. I remember going to PAWNY meetings and listening to endless hours of legislation. I have faith in them...
Just over a month until Pharmacy Advocacy Day in Albany!