Pharmacists Leaving WAG like crazy!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SkiPharmer

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The market I am in WAG has lost over 30 RPh's in the last two months and have only hired 40 new grads. They were only giving people 32 hours a week, treating the RPh's like crap and cutting tech hours like crazy and now they are losing everyone. They had a conference call and want everyone to pick up one shift extra a week AND you will get your name in a drawing for a $10 gift card! YAHOO! I find this insulting. They never once talked about WHY people are leaving or how to fix it. It amazes me how the big wigs just don't get it..........
 
Let wags collapse. It'd be the best thing for the public welfare and the profession. Think of all those in management who terrorized us as they are thrown under the bus. What to do with them?


Human millipede!
 
But where are they going? Can't really think of any place that would accommodate a mass exodus, especially if it was a nationwide occurrence.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Stop trying to scare the pre pharmacy and pharmacy students!

There is NO saturation. These pharmacists were probably lazy or just didn't work hard enough. They don't deserve to earn so they can feed their children and pay their mortgage.

Please stop complaining. I have a friend who dropped out of college and is only making $15 a hour. If he can make it then a pharmacist with 250 k in student loans can make it as well.
 
Haha im not trying to scare anyone, it's the truth! They even had to close a few pharmacies one night cuz there was no coverage. Target is hiring up here, that's where a few went
 
Stop trying to scare the pre pharmacy and pharmacy students!

There is NO saturation. These pharmacists were probably lazy or just didn't work hard enough. They don't deserve to earn so they can feed their children and pay their mortgage.

Please stop complaining. I have a friend who dropped out of college and is only making $15 a hour. If he can make it then a pharmacist with 250 k in student loans can make it as well.

Bowel Movement Biology strikes again!!
 
Stop trying to scare the pre pharmacy and pharmacy students!

There is NO saturation. These pharmacists were probably lazy or just didn't work hard enough. They don't deserve to earn so they can feed their children and pay their mortgage.

Please stop complaining. I have a friend who dropped out of college and is only making $15 a hour. If he can make it then a pharmacist with 250 k in student loans can make it as well.
sir...if itz lyk ds..do u noe d scope for pharmd students?
 
Walgreens needs to cut these pharmacists' hours so they can increase dividend to their shareholders. The shareholders OWN the company and need to be rewarded for the risk they are taking.

So what if these pharmacists are already in their 40s and need a steady income to support their family. Walgreens needs to treat the veterans just like the new grads. Everyone needs to be treated the SAME way. That is the Walgreens way!

They can start over. I actually have a friend who was a crackhead and needed some structure in his life so he joined the army when he was 35 year old. If my crackhead friend can start over, these pharmacists can too.

Please move your family to Kentucky or something rural and start all over.
 
Walgreens needs to cut these pharmacists' hours so they can increase dividend to their shareholders. The shareholders OWN the company and need to be rewarded for the risk they are taking.

So what if these pharmacists are already in their 40s and need a steady income to support their family. Walgreens needs to treat the veterans just like the new grads. Everyone needs to be treated the SAME way. That is the Walgreens way!

They can start over. I actually have a friend who was a crackhead and needed some structure in his life so he joined the army when he was 35 year old. If my crackhead friend can start over, these pharmacists can too.

Please move your family to Kentucky or something rural and start all over.

What in God's name are you talking about? You are sounding like the crackhead now...Costco's stock has gone up 62% in the last two years, they treat their employees VERY WELL, it can be done.
 
No, it can't be. It is shareholders vs. employees. Walgreens screwed up last year with their negotiation with Express Scripts so in order to keep their stock value high, they needed to increase their dividend payout to shareholders.

Employees need to be sacrificed in order to keep the almighty shareholders happy.

You just don't understand basic economic.
 
The market I am in WAG has lost over 30 RPh's in the last two months and have only hired 40 new grads. They were only giving people 32 hours a week, treating the RPh's like crap and cutting tech hours like crazy and now they are losing everyone. They had a conference call and want everyone to pick up one shift extra a week AND you will get your name in a drawing for a $10 gift card! YAHOO! I find this insulting. They never once talked about WHY people are leaving or how to fix it. It amazes me how the big wigs just don't get it..........

Looks like they don't really need to fix anything. They can get new grads for cheaper and I bet they work harder then those old farts. That's what happens when you dilute our labor pool with 40 new schools in the last 10 years.

Actually looks like they are expanding too. 30 quit and 40 are hired. The good times are here!
 
No, it can't be. It is shareholders vs. employees. Walgreens screwed up last year with their negotiation with Express Scripts so in order to keep their stock value high, they needed to increase their dividend payout to shareholders.

Employees need to be sacrificed in order to keep the almighty shareholders happy.

You just don't understand basic economic.

Having to close your pharmcies because you don't have the staff doesn't seem like the best way to make money and keep your shareholders happy, I don't have a PhD in economics but pretty sure that isn't smart business.....
 
Looks like they don't really need to fix anything. They can get new grads for cheaper and I bet they work harder then those old farts. That's what happens when you dilute our labor pool with 40 new schools in the last 10 years.

Actually looks like they are expanding too. 30 quit and 40 are hired. The good times are here!

Haha also my first thought.
 
Pharmacy is like dating. Why date a 40 old pharmacist with wrinkles when you can date a 26 year old who will do whatever you tell her/him. A few years later, trade her/him in for someone better.

Get rid of the old and get with the new.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mean you must hire 40 new pharmacists for 30 positions because 10 will not work hard enough to earn a position. Pharmacists are lazy and don't have strong work ethics.
 
I know this might be crazy...but has the hiring situation improved for anybody else? I got an email from an LTC pharmacy asking about my interest. It wasn't a form email, this woman knew who exactly who I was, that I have a considerable amount of experience with sterile IV prep, and worked overnights.

I declined because I rather like my job situation...but I haven't seen someone reach out to me out of nowhere since 2007. Especially considering its not like I am sending resumes out or anything.
 
I know this might be crazy...but has the hiring situation improved for anybody else? I got an email from an LTC pharmacy asking about my interest. It wasn't a form email, this woman knew who exactly who I was, that I have a considerable amount of experience with sterile IV prep, and worked overnights.

I declined because I rather like my job situation...but I haven't seen someone reach out to me out of nowhere since 2007. Especially considering its not like I am sending resumes out or anything.

Anecdotal, but I've not heard one classmate complain about not having a job. In fact, many landed clinical positions at smaller hospitals straight out of school. I know wags in my area hired a TON of kids. I think the hit must have been put out on the 60+ yoa rphs 😎
 
Exactly!

I would love to live in an area that has not been saturated yet. The scorching heat of Arizona, the herpes infested state of Louisiana, and the night life of rural Kentucky all sound appealing to me.
 
I've had 5 job offers and declined 3 interviews in:

Los Angeles, CA
West Hollywood, CA
Huntington Beach, CA
Seattle, WA
Tucson, AZ
Wilmington, NC
Las Vegas,NV
Augusta, GA

2 retail
5 hospital
1 academic medical center

I listened to Z; PGY-1 plus MBA
 
What a minute, why would someone who did a residency and an MBA apply for a retail position??! It's worse than I thought! = /

What's going to happen to those who didn't do a residency or have an MBA but no work experience?
 
The market I am in WAG has lost over 30 RPh's in the last two months and have only hired 40 new grads. They were only giving people 32 hours a week, treating the RPh's like crap and cutting tech hours like crazy and now they are losing everyone. They had a conference call and want everyone to pick up one shift extra a week AND you will get your name in a drawing for a $10 gift card! YAHOO! I find this insulting. They never once talked about WHY people are leaving or how to fix it. It amazes me how the big wigs just don't get it..........

I don't understand this. I don't understand why there is a shortage, if they hired 40 RPH's to replace 30 who left. So now when they would only give 32 hrs/week before, they are now forcing everyone to work at extra shift (so a normal 40hrs/week or do you mean 48hrs/week), and all they get in return is their name in a drawing for a $10 gift card? So I guess the real question is, why are you still there?
 
I don't understand this. I don't understand why there is a shortage, if they hired 40 RPH's to replace 30 who left. So now when they would only give 32 hrs/week before, they are now forcing everyone to work at extra shift (so a normal 40hrs/week or do you mean 48hrs/week), and all they get in return is their name in a drawing for a $10 gift card? So I guess the real question is, why are you still there?

I do not work for WAGS
 
Good. The baby boomers need to GTFO. I'm sick of their generation. Nothing but greedy locusts who ****ed around, got into positions without formal education where formal education is now required, who are now going to suck us dry with their diabetes, obesity, and COPD.

I wish they had mandatory retirement like in Europe...or at least make them work only part time or something. There is no reason for an old pharmacist who has ample retirement money to continue working...either they are a workaholic (unlikely), in terrible debt, or greedy.

It's like that star trek episode trouble with tribbles except in our world, there's no way to get rid of them. They are EVERYWHERE.
 
Good. The baby boomers need to GTFO. I'm sick of their generation. Nothing but greedy locusts who ****ed around, got into positions without formal education where formal education is now required, who are now going to suck us dry with their diabetes, obesity, and COPD.

I wish they had mandatory retirement like in Europe...or at least make them work only part time or something. There is no reason for an old pharmacist who has ample retirement money to continue working...either they are a workaholic (unlikely), in terrible debt, or greedy.

It's like that star trek episode trouble with tribbles except in our world, there's no way to get rid of them. They are EVERYWHERE.

I really don't know how to put, "The faster you idiots die, the faster the rest of us can rebuild and move on." in a way that doesn't make me sound like an *******.
 
Exactly!

I would love to live in an area that has not been saturated yet. The scorching heat of Arizona, the herpes infested state of Louisiana, and the night life of rural Kentucky all sound appealing to me.
I didn't have herpes the last time I checked... *******!
 
I
Exactly!

I would love to live in an area that has not been saturated yet. The scorching heat of Arizona, the herpes infested state of Louisiana, and the night life of rural Kentucky all sound appealing to me.

We're only scorching for a few months out of the year. The rest is nice. It did snow in Tucson this year.

And flagstaff-- well, they aren't scorching at all. Olympic athletes regularly train there because of the altitude. The outdoor life is awesome and the smaller community means you'll always, ALWAYS have people to meet up with for those activities.

Phoenix/Scottsdale has a fantastic nightlife if you're into that. And plenty of shopping and a dave and busters. 😀

Tucson is so-so in that regard, but we do have access to a lot of ethnic foods because we are one of the largest housers of refugees. We have all the culture, too 🙂 and plenty of outdoors here too. If you're into that, we have a big mountain where you can camp, hike, snowboard in winter, etc. and you can get away from the heat.

So, anyone who would be deterred from working here because of BMs post, don't be 😉

There is also a residency here that pays $60K and gives you housing. 😎
 
Looks like they don't really need to fix anything. They can get new grads for cheaper and I bet they work harder then those old farts. That's what happens when you dilute our labor pool with 40 new schools in the last 10 years.

Actually looks like they are expanding too. 30 quit and 40 are hired. The good times are here!

My BFF found that the hard way just before Christmas, when he and several other long term employees were all fired.

He had worked there 15 years.

And I know a lady whose daughter graduated last year and did sign on with Wags, and as long as she floated, she worked literally every day. She did get overtime, so she didn't mind doing that FOR A WHILE (she is married and has a child who was born right before she graduated) but yeah, that gets old really, really fast. Oh, and when she finally got her own store, they wanted to make her PIC. She put the ixnay on that, in part because it's a 24-hour store and if she was PIC, guess who would work overnight if that person called in sick, or whatever.
 
I

We're only scorching for a few months out of the year. The rest is nice. It did snow in Tucson this year.

And flagstaff-- well, they aren't scorching at all. Olympic athletes regularly train there because of the altitude. The outdoor life is awesome and the smaller community means you'll always, ALWAYS have people to meet up with for those activities.

Phoenix/Scottsdale has a fantastic nightlife if you're into that. And plenty of shopping and a dave and busters. 😀

Tucson is so-so in that regard, but we do have access to a lot of ethnic foods because we are one of the largest housers of refugees. We have all the culture, too 🙂 and plenty of outdoors here too. If you're into that, we have a big mountain where you can camp, hike, snowboard in winter, etc. and you can get away from the heat.

So, anyone who would be deterred from working here because of BMs post, don't be 😉

There is also a residency here that pays $60K and gives you housing. 😎
Tell me more:idea:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The market I am in WAG has lost over 30 RPh's in the last two months and have only hired 40 new grads. They were only giving people 32 hours a week, treating the RPh's like crap and cutting tech hours like crazy and now they are losing everyone. They had a conference call and want everyone to pick up one shift extra a week AND you will get your name in a drawing for a $10 gift card! YAHOO! I find this insulting. They never once talked about WHY people are leaving or how to fix it. It amazes me how the big wigs just don't get it..........

Walgreen's is a weird place. I returned something from there once, can't remember what it was but worth less than $10 and had the receipt, they had to call the manager over to handle the return. Quite the oddness.
 
Phoenix/Scottsdale has a fantastic nightlife if you're into that. And plenty of shopping and a dave and busters. 😀

So, tell me more about this dave and busters you got in Arizona. What is it? And what does it do?
 
I've had 5 job offers and declined 3 interviews in:

Los Angeles, CA
West Hollywood, CA
Huntington Beach, CA
Seattle, WA
Tucson, AZ
Wilmington, NC
Las Vegas,NV
Augusta, GA

2 retail
5 hospital
1 academic medical center

I listened to Z; PGY-1 plus MBA

Interesting

Did you need work experience before MBA. And was the MBA a factor
 
Good. The baby boomers need to GTFO. I'm sick of their generation. Nothing but greedy locusts who ****ed around, got into positions without formal education where formal education is now required, who are now going to suck us dry with their diabetes, obesity, and COPD.

I wish they had mandatory retirement like in Europe...or at least make them work only part time or something. There is no reason for an old pharmacist who has ample retirement money to continue working...either they are a workaholic (unlikely), in terrible debt, or greedy.

It's like that star trek episode trouble with tribbles except in our world, there's no way to get rid of them. They are EVERYWHERE.

If they retire they are no longer paying for themselves.

Much like our new immigrants, uh oh!
 
I

We're only scorching for a few months out of the year. The rest is nice. It did snow in Tucson this year.

And flagstaff-- well, they aren't scorching at all. Olympic athletes regularly train there because of the altitude. The outdoor life is awesome and the smaller community means you'll always, ALWAYS have people to meet up with for those activities.

Phoenix/Scottsdale has a fantastic nightlife if you're into that. And plenty of shopping and a dave and busters. 😀

Tucson is so-so in that regard, but we do have access to a lot of ethnic foods because we are one of the largest housers of refugees. We have all the culture, too 🙂 and plenty of outdoors here too. If you're into that, we have a big mountain where you can camp, hike, snowboard in winter, etc. and you can get away from the heat.

So, anyone who would be deterred from working here because of BMs post, don't be 😉

There is also a residency here that pays $60K and gives you housing. 😎

Sounds great, but I am concerned about the Mexican invasion.