Pharmacist's life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AceAngel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, since I'm considering being a pharmacist as one of my career options, what's the social life of a pharmacist (not student), a real pharmacist, like? During work? Outside of work? Is it possible to enjoy work? Will there be co-workers there so you can talk to someone? Anything else I should know? I value my social life, so if anyone can give some pointers, I'd appreciate it :D

Members don't see this ad.

my dream job is to be a housewife/soccer mom! :love:

my sister's a full time retail pharmacist at rite aid. she works 3 or 4 days a week, and takes her kids shopping the rest of the week. sounds good to me! her husband is a dentist that just opened his own practice, and he even still has time to watch movies in his office and take short vacays every 3 weeks or so! they're definitely living it up right now.

i'm ready to be a full time mom and full time pharmacist! can't wait for everything from pills to scrapbooking!

I was thinking about doing part time after I have kids...but what is part time retail...like 1 or 2 days a week? i don't know if thats really even worth it, might as well put in another day and a half and stay full time. so i'm sure you can still have a life!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering, since I'm considering being a pharmacist as one of my career options, what's the social life of a pharmacist (not student), a real pharmacist, like? During work? Outside of work? Is it possible to enjoy work? Will there be co-workers there so you can talk to someone? Anything else I should know? I value my social life, so if anyone can give some pointers, I'd appreciate it :D
heyy angel ^ ^ you also might wanna try an posting this thread in the "big boys AND girls forum"... get my meaning ;)

My husband is a pharmacist, and I am applying to school myself. Your level of social life really depends on the position you pick. My husbands position, he work 12 out of 14 days in a two week pay period, and many days are over 10 hours, so he does not feel like going out much. But being a salaried clinical pharmacist, that is his choice. He always has co workers and patients to talk to so no shortage of interaction at work.

There are pharmacists that work pool and choose their schedule around their social life, and that is ok too. Really it depends on your job.

I was thinking about doing part time after I have kids...but what is part time retail...like 1 or 2 days a week? i don't know if thats really even worth it, might as well put in another day and a half and stay full time. so i'm sure you can still have a life!

When I volunteered at the hospital, I knew a pharmacist who only worked one day a week, because she recently had kids, and wanted to focus on them. Funny enough ... her husband is also a dentist :laugh: Sounds like a good husband to have ;) Kidding aside, she only came into work because she loved pharmacy, and wanted to do a little bit on the side, so she was not working for money.

Look at it this way. You get to help people in a way you find interesting, work 40 hours per week (your choice) and you pull in about $100K to start. I am not sure where you live at, but I live in Louisville, KY and $100K is a high paying job here.

heyy angel ^ ^ you also might wanna try an posting this thread in the "big boys AND girls forum"... get my meaning ;)

Haha maybe that's what I'm really interested in :cool:

I'm just worried because I heard that a pharmacist's job is very redundant and so I don't want to be bored out of my mind for however many hours a week.

Haha maybe that's what I'm really interested in :cool:

I'm just worried because I heard that a pharmacist's job is very redundant and so I don't want to be bored out of my mind for however many hours a week.

I've held a variety of jobs so far in my 27ish years of life, and they've all been routine and mundane at some point or another.

I'm curious.

Does anyone know of a Pharmacist who leads a second life?

Nothing dubious or weird of course, but I've heard stories of Pharmacists who have rather involved hobbies, like say real estate, or running a theatre.

How easy is it to manage a life as a Pharmacist while doing something else completely?

I am quite committed to Pharmacy. Pretty much overindulged. And I don't want my career to be that way. I understand many Pharmacy situations are low-stress and don't follow you home, so how easy would it be to take on a shotgun career as an outlet or money on the side?

No, I'm not planning on selling blow. Or my body.

But seriously, does it just depend on the specialty you pursue??

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I know I can't avoid things like that, but I just want to know if there's potential for interaction and a non-boring job.

I'm curious.

Nothing dubious or weird of course, but I've heard stories of Pharmacists who have rather involved hobbies, like say real estate, or running a theatre.

How easy is it to manage a life as a Pharmacist while doing something else completely?

I am quite committed to Pharmacy. Pretty much overindulged. And I don't want my career to be that way. I understand many Pharmacy situations are low-stress and don't follow you home, so how easy would it be to take on a shotgun career as an outlet or money on the side?

I know a pharmacist who is really into Second Life. Does that count?

Look at it this way. You get to help people in a way you find interesting, work 40 hours per week (your choice) and you pull in about $100K to start. I am not sure where you live at, but I live in Louisville, KY and $100K is a high paying job here.

Pharmacist work long hrs and conversate all day (customers,insurance companies, etc.). For the pay the job is great. Most pharmacies close around 9 so your family life should start about 930.
:thumbup:

Conversate is way too colloquial and social for anything pertaining to anything in the pharmacy. Not to mention sounding like it belongs in the newest Beyonce song.

Tolerate speaking with. Now that sounds like an accurate verb. Applied to: Physician's Assistants, Nurse Pracs, Insurance *****s Agents, and the rest of the really annoying people pharmacists deal with.

Conversate is way too colloquial and social for anything pertaining to anything in the pharmacy. Not to mention sounding like it belongs in the newest Beyonce song.

Tolerate speaking with. Now that sounds like an accurate verb. Applied to: Physician's Assistants, Nurse Pracs, Insurance *****s Agents, and the rest of the really annoying people pharmacists deal with.

I had a dude from Medco the other day who's name was Raymond. I asked him if his last name was Babbitt, but he didn't get it.

When he asked for the patients ID number for the fifth time I started to stutter real bad and used the word definitely a lot.

Still didn't get it.

So sad :(

I had a dude from Medco the other day who's name was Raymond. I asked him if his last name was Babbitt, but he didn't get it.

When he asked for the patients ID number for the fifth time I started to stutter real bad and used the word definitely a lot.

Still didn't get it.

So sad :(

Rain Man :laugh:

I'm curious.

It is really easy to work and start a business. I work a 10 day on, 4 day off schedule, so this way I will have 4 full days off every other weekend. There are plenty of ways to use this time, but I usually take a vacation, work on my organization that I started, and basically just enjoy life. During the days that I work, I still have a few hours every day to do whatever I want. So, yes you can have a "second life".

Last edited:
It is really easy to work and start a business. I work a 10 day on, 4 day off schedule, so this way I will have 4 full days off every other weekend. There are plenty of ways to use this time, but I usually take a vacation, work on my organization that I started, and basically just enjoy life. During the days that I work, I still have a few hours every day to do whatever I want. So, yes you can have a "second life".

4 Days off is a good way to get your personal and family life straightened out after a 10 day stretch. Also having some time off can provide time to pick another trade or develop a hobby to add on to the tedious deeds of a Pharmacist. 10/4 i will be shooting for!

4 Days off is a good way to get your personal and family life straightened out after a 10 day stretch. Also having some time off can provide time to pick another trade or develop a hobby to add on to the tedious deeds of a Pharmacist. 10/4 i will be shooting for!

If you work in retail, then make sure your "partner(s)" will want to do it as well. If you work in the hospital, they have 7 on 7 off, which is even better for some. The best situation I've heard is where my friend works 77 hours and gets paid 80 hours; and it's NOT overnight. I think he works 10am-9pm for 7 days straight and he gets 7 days off. Now, that's something else right there. However, most 7 on 7 offs available now are the overtime shifts.

...I understand many Pharmacy situations are low-stress and don't follow you home...

What about time and room for continuous self-growth? Having a low-stress career sounds nice and all, but I want to continue to learn more about my job as well as what the world has to offer, even if it means continuously challenging and pushing myself above and beyond. I wouldn't mind taking my job home with me at all, as long as I can continue learning and growing from it. I know I am capable of a lot, and it would be a shame for my growth to end once I've attained a career.

What about time and room for continuous self-growth? Having a low-stress career sounds nice and all, but I want to continue to learn more about my job as well as what the world has to offer, even if it means continuously challenging and pushing myself above and beyond. I wouldn't mind taking my job home with me at all, as long as I can continue learning and growing from it. I know I am capable of a lot, and it would be a shame for my growth to end once I've attained a career.

Be involved with national organizations and state organizations. Go to the meetings to talk to other pharmacists and share ideas. Also get involved in your community and see what you can do for people.

As you do all of that, you'll probably find what your interest are, and what you are passionate in doing.