Pharmacists' take on sports and bodybuilding supplements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bacillus1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to see people's opinions on the effects of these on your body, mainly if people think there are negative effects. I am not talking about steroids, just things like protein shakes (whey or otherwise) and creatine.

I posted this in the all-students forum with no views so far. This is relevant to healthcare, so I suppose it's not too bad if I put it here.

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to see people's opinions on the effects of these on your body, mainly if people think there are negative effects. I am not talking about steroids, just things like protein shakes (whey or otherwise) and creatine.

I posted this in the all-students forum with no views so far. This is relevant to healthcare, so I suppose it's not too bad if I put it here.

I'll give my two cents. A bit biased, coming from someone who does weight lifting and plays competitive hockey. Previous schools of thought said that simply lifting weights was enough to build size, and eat whatever you wanted but eat a lot. Recent research shows the extreme importance of a proper diet in bodybuilding and development of muscle;

I personally aim for >100g of protein per day, ~150 on days when I lift weights. 150 can't be achieved with diet alone, I drink a whey protein shake with ~50g protein. Excess protein consumption (above the 0.5g/kg cited in dietician mags) is _NOT_ detrimental to liver or kidney function. A healthy liver or kidneys with adequate nutrients/water can handle this. In people with renal disease or end stage renal failure, a decreased protein diet is recommended to lighten the load on the kidneys. I looked up a lot of stuff on pubmed regarding high protein diets before I began to ensure I wasn't killing my kidneys, but it's fine. Another thing is focusing on protein shifts your diet, often improving a typical persons diet to eat more whole grains, white meat, fish, etc. I also drink a lot less alcohol, which is good.

Creatine isn't as well studied. You have to ensure intense hydration, and proper usage - but I don't recommend it solely because the benefits aren't concrete, nor are the long term effects. Hepatotoxicity may be an issue. It's a bit risky for a _potential_ 5-10% gain. Most people aren't near a level where that would be important enough to go for.

Anything else just fire away.

I don't think they're too bad. As with everything in life, moderation is the key. Stick to the lower ends of the recommended dosages of protein and creatine and you'll be fine.

You shlould keep in mind that too much protein can damage you're kidneys. Not too sure what the adverse effects of too much creatine is. Hasn't really been around long enough to see any negatives to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they're too bad. As with everything in life, moderation is the key. Stick to the lower ends of the recommended dosages of protein and creatine and you'll be fine.

You shlould keep in mind that too much protein can damage you're kidneys. Not too sure what the adverse effects of too much creatine is. Hasn't really been around long enough to see any negatives to it.

define 'too much'.

Anyone know of any studies done on creatine showing that there have been any adverse effects, or that there clearly haven't been any adverse effects?

Anyone know of any studies done on creatine showing that there have been any adverse effects, or that there clearly haven't been any adverse effects?

I havent seen anything bad on creatine supplements per se. I will even go to the point to say that not only is creatine safe, but protective on many ends besides being used to increase muscle mass.