Pharmacist's Title?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BacardiGirl

Go Gophers!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pardon the Newbishness, but what title does a Pharmacist hold? Someone asked me if they are called 'Dr.' and I couldn't answer yay or nay. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Well technically they ARE doctors if they have a PharmD degree. Its just that calling someone "doctor" implies MD (to me anyway). I suppose a PharmD COULD insist they be called doctor if they really wanted.

When most Americans don't think that a PhD is a "real doctor," they certainly won't accept the title for Pharmacists.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pardon the Newbishness, but what title does a Pharmacist hold? Someone asked me if they are called 'Dr.' and I couldn't answer yay or nay. :p

Lol, I think this is a funny question, but its true most people associate the Title of Doctor with only those that have a M.D. However, Pharmacists carry that title also.

This is from wikipedia

In the United States, the PharmD. (Doctor of Pharmacy) degree is a professional degree that prepares the graduate for pharmacy practice.

Traditionally in the United States, the bachelor's degree in pharmacy was the first-professional degree for pharmacy practice. However, in 1990, the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) mandated that a doctorate in pharmacy would be the new first-professional degree. As of the year 2000, all pharmacy schools in the U.S. have discontinued the B.S.Pharm. (Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy) degree program

Lol, I think this is a funny question, but its true most people associate the Title of Doctor with only those that have a M.D. However, Pharmacists carry that title also.

This is from wikipedia

In the United States, the PharmD. (Doctor of Pharmacy) degree is a professional degree that prepares the graduate for pharmacy practice.

Traditionally in the United States, the bachelor's degree in pharmacy was the first-professional degree for pharmacy practice. However, in 1990, the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) mandated that a doctorate in pharmacy would be the new first-professional degree. As of the year 2000, all pharmacy schools in the U.S. have discontinued the B.S.Pharm. (Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy) degree program

Interesting Tidbit!

IMO, with the ever expanding role of a pharmacist (as the population ages) you will see more and more pharmacists being called 'Doctor'. Keep in mind that the new pharmD. degree is VERY new. In 30 years, almost 100% of pharmacists will have a pharmD degree.

If they called pharmacists doctors they wouldn't be incorrect, if the pharmacist had a PharmD. It just depends one what kind of doctor they mean, that is, doctor of what. MD PharmD DDS PhD, there's a lot of doctors, they're just not all doctors of medicine.

I know pharmacists are pretty high up on the respect food chain, but the word pharmacist doesn't get capitalized. It's like doctor and is only capitalized when you say Doctor Williams, for example. Also, I don't think people would call a pharmacist Pharmacist Williams. So you'll probably only find pharmacist capitalized at the beginning of a sentence. Might be helpful for those still writing their personal statements and what not.

This is only my own opinion but realizing that many of layman terms are not entirely correct in all cases, we as professionals need to watch what we say also. Unless I'm talking to a patient with limited English, I never use the word "doctor" but "physician" instead (What has the physician told you about your condition, for example). Similarly, I try not to use the word "pill" but instead "capsule" or "tablet" depending on the situation. Walgreen's is not a "drug store" but a "pharmacy". We cannot expect the public to realize the different roles of health care professionals if we as health care professionals continue using out-dated language.

i buck the trend, i call my pharmacist the druggist, as in....Druggist John.

That sounds so badass.

i buck the trend, i call my pharmacist the druggist, as in....Druggist John.

That sounds so badass.

Damn straight! I never really use it myself (I think I might now...), but I also find the term druggist to be "badass". I always snicker when older folks come to the pharmacy and ask to speak to the druggist. It just sounds awesome!

Given that most elementary schools teach kiddies that doctors = physicians and no one else, there will always be a slight inconsistency about the terminology when working in a pharmacy.

BTW, if someone pisses you off by saying something like "you're not a real doctor", just show them your paycheck and say "money" (of course, only if you know the person is poorer while being noobish.

Damn straight! I never really use it myself (I think I might now...), but I also find the term druggist to be "badass". I always snicker when older folks come to the pharmacy and ask to speak to the druggist. It just sounds awesome!

I've always liked "Apothecary."

I want to be called Doctor. Its a doctorate degree that newly licensed pharmacists hold. Its nothing short of any other doctorate on any other subject. If you're in pharm school you know what I'm talking about.

The title "doctor" is one of respect. It comes from Old French and is the agent form of the Latin verb docere, "to teach".

Obvioulsy I would want to be called Doctor afterall what we go throught right from applying to Pharmacy Colleges uptill holding the title
"DOCTOR OF PHARMACY"
:)

doctor = teacher

but in today's society as long as you have some doctoral degree you are a doctor. so anyone can be a "doctor". hence most/all college professors are doctors since they have Ph. D's.

If they've earned a Pharm D then they can be called Doctor. However, there is a title, R. Ph, where they are pharmacists but not doctors, perhaps b/c they were trained in another country but took the tests to be board certified here in the US.
There used to be a bachelors in pharmacy but that's being phased out, but basically
PharmD = doctor
R.Ph= not doctor (i think it stands for Registered Pharmacist)

PharmD = doctor
R.Ph= not doctor (i think it stands for Registered Pharmacist)

I'm think any board certified, licensed pharmacist, whether they've earned a PharmD or BS, have the title r.ph=registered pharmacist. (If they want to be referred to as doctor, that is their preference)