-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Pharmacists to Medical School?
Started by Futurepharmdmd
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Them student loans tho
C://Files/System32/Meemees/windowsmediaplayer/LarryDavidFainting.mov
C://Files/System32/Meemees/windowsmediaplayer/LarryDavidFainting.mov
The guys that founded MedExpress were pharmacists that went to medical school. They sold it last year for $1.5 billion. They have more money than God.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That pillpack dude also (just a pharmacist).The guys that founded MedExpress were pharmacists that went to medical school. They sold it last year for $1.5 billion. They have more money than God.
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Lol yea. Im trying to get a scholarship to helpThem student loans tho
C://Files/System32/Meemees/windowsmediaplayer/LarryDavidFainting.mov
The guys that founded MedExpress were pharmacists that went to medical school. They sold it last year for $1.5 billion. They have more money than God.
Does God need money?
Is that even a thing? Med school scholarships?Lol yea. Im trying to get a scholarship to help
Why u want to go med school?Pharmacy student applying to medical school in Summer:
Can any pharmacists/physicians who went straight to medical school after pharmacy school DM me? I just want some guidance during the process. You would be very appreciated 🙂
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Yes! I know people with lower mcats that got scholarships! I have a 100% better chance of getting a med school scholarship than one for pharmacy school.Is that even a thing? Med school scholarships?
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Itll be more interesting. Ill actually enjoy it. Better pay. Better work/life balance (despite what most people may tell you- docs i speak to work 7 on/7 off or a certain amt of shifts per month). Not having to worry if my job will still be there in 10 years. All of that and still getting to help people and work in healthcare.Why u want to go med school?
Does God need money?
Not that I believe in religion, but it pretty clearly states in the Bible that you are to give 10% of your income to the church. So, yes, God apparently does need money.
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
All of this money on Earth is the Lord’s, we are just stewards.Not that I believe in religion, but it pretty clearly states in the Bible that you are to give 10% of your income to the church. So, yes, God apparently does need money.
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Wow congrats! I definitely have a good chunk of energy left since im only 22. Which is one of thw reasons why i thought id just go for it. I am about to DM you!I've done both. I'd recommend if you have the time, energy and resources to endure 4 more years of schooling plus 3+ years of post grad training.
Even drug money?All of this money on Earth is the Lord’s, we are just stewards.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you still in pharmacy school? Have you take MCAT yet? Let us know how it goes once you get accept to med schoolItll be more interesting. Ill actually enjoy it. Better pay. Better work/life balance (despite what most people may tell you- docs i speak to work 7 on/7 off or a certain amt of shifts per month). Not having to worry if my job will still be there in 10 years. All of that and still getting to help people and work in healthcare.
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Yes i am still in pharmacy school and will take the mcat next year! Will keep you guys updatedAre you still in pharmacy school? Have you take MCAT yet? Let us know how it goes once you get accept to med school
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
I know but i dont enjoy being a pharmacist or care to be one any more (if i HAVE to ill just be one for a few years then try to get out ASAP). Plus i dont know where this profession will be in 10 years. I love helping people (LOVE the daily interaction) and enjoy healthcare/learning about the body so medicine would be a great fit for me.7 on 7 off pharmacist positions exist. Not just night shift. Just helped create and evening ICU one, actually.
You're still in school, how do you know you won't enjoy being a pharmacist? Should drop out now if that's your plan.
Kids.
Kids.
Anyone else get really annoyed when they hear "I could have gone to medical school, but really wanted to be a pharmacist:".
What year you in pharmacy right now? If you get a high score in MCAT, are you gonna quit pharmacy and attend med school?Yes i am still in pharmacy school and will take the mcat next year! Will keep you guys updated
How you have time to study MCAT while in pharmacy school unless your school is super easy
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Lol not a kid.You're still in school, how do you know you won't enjoy being a pharmacist? Should drop out now if that's your plan.
Kids.
And ive been working in pharmacy since i started college in undergrad. Trust me, i know. I dont have an undergrad degree plus i am almost finished so dropping out would be dumb. My GPA is high so i will just finish and use it to my advantage.
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Never said that. I just realized I’d enjoy medicine more P2 year. Idk where you got your lil quote from buddy. LmaooooAnyone else get really annoyed when they hear "I could have gone to medical school, but really wanted to be a pharmacist:".
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
I am a P3. I am studying now. I will finish my pharmD and hopefully matriculate into med school that same year which is why i have to apply this year.What year you in pharmacy right now? If you get a high score in MCAT, are you gonna quit pharmacy and attend med school?
How you have time to study MCAT while in pharmacy school unless your school is super easy
MCAT is mostly critical thinking. My diagnostic without studying is the avg for actual MCAT takers. I will be good by the time my test comes around. My school is far from easy, but like any professional program, its time management. Many have failed out but They havent learned how to manage their time properly yet. Ive taken 24 credit hours as a sophomore in undergrad before while working. Its not that bad. Just have to stay focused and prayed up 🙂
But then you wont be able to argue with people about how you're really a doctor...where's the fun in that?
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Haha! Im black so i still will unfortunately.But then you wont be able to argue with people about how you're really a doctor...where's the fun in that?
which pharmacy school you attend? Just curious, do you need to have bachelor to apply med school with high MCAT score? I know you dont need it for pharmI am a P3. I am studying now. I will finish my pharmD and hopefully matriculate into med school that same year which is why i have to apply this year.
MCAT is mostly critical thinking. My diagnostic without studying is the avg for actual MCAT takers. I will be good by the time my test comes around. My school is far from easy, but like any professional program, its time management. Many have failed out but They havent learned how to manage their time properly yet. Ive taken 24 credit hours as a sophomore in undergrad before while working. Its not that bad. Just have to stay focused and prayed up 🙂
Last edited:
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Wont say to protect my identity and dont think its important. But its somewhere On the east coast. You do need a bach or higher to apply to med school. I will have a doctorate.which pharmacy school you attend? Just curious, do you need to have bachelor to apply med school with high MCAT score? I know you dont need it for pharm
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
I was just looking for med students or physicians who had been pharmacists first that could help guide me thru the process. I wasnt trying to argue my decision to go to med school. Lmao. But I have since found 2. Thanks
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My freshmen year in pharmacy school I was friends with this guy who was wait listed for medical school. After the first week of pharmacy school, a medical school called him. Just remembered his face and smile when he told me he was leaving for medical school. Can't even remember the guys name but if I could find him, I could ask him how it went.
Never said that. I just realized I’d enjoy medicine more P2 year. Idk where you got your lil quote from buddy. Lmaoooo
Chill out little person ... wasn’t abt you. Just general statement I heard from a classmate
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Oh well post your lil quote elsewhere Steve. No one asked about your darn classmate. Do you know a pharmd, Md? If not, exit big guy.Chill out little person ... wasn’t abt you. Just general statement I heard from a classmate
Oh well post your lil quote elsewhere Steve. No one asked about your darn classmate. Do you know a pharmd, Md? If not, exit big guy.
Did I hurt your feelings? Don’t cry... or at least wait until you get your admission results. Don’t like my post ignore it and don’t respond to them
Last edited:
According to the Catholic church..yes he does and he likes gold.Does God need money?
22 is definitely a kid.Lol not a kid.
And ive been working in pharmacy since i started college in undergrad. Trust me, i know. I dont have an undergrad degree plus i am almost finished so dropping out would be dumb. My GPA is high so i will just finish and use it to my advantage.
I worked in retail pharmacy as a tech for 10 years before I became a pharmacist. What I am doing now, really everything I have done since graduating, bears no resemblance to my work as a non-pharmacist. You do you, of course, but it might be a premature decision.
And for some extra gold, you can be forgiven of your indulgences.According to the Catholic church..yes he does and he likes gold.
It might be worth checking with your pharmacy school to see if they will grant you a bachelor's degree in addition to a pharmd. Most medical schools specifically want you to have a bachelor's degree, and you'll have to go through a waiver process or provide additional clarification as to why you dont have a bachelor's but you have another advanced degree. A lot of the low-rank admissions folks in med schools dont even know what a pharmd is. You can save yourself the hassle by just getting a bachelor's degree and make it easier to check that box. Some pharmacy schools have a procedure in place where they will issue you a bachelor's degree after finishing the first two years of pharmacy school - check with your registrar / academic advising office / student affairs director.
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Lmaoo trust me im not crying. Why would i cry when i get my admission results? You dont think ill get in? HahahahahaDid I hurt your feelings? Don’t cry... or at least wait until you get your admission results. Don’t like my post ignore it and don’t respond to them
Ill be sure to give you a shoutout when i get my admission results! 😉
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Nah i dont like the profession at all tbh. Pharmacist, intern, tech, hell anything. Im not happy and i am glad that i realized that now rather than throwing time away. I thought people would be happy that someone is leaving the profession haha. All everyone ever does is complain about it anyway lmaoo whats really going on?22 is definitely a kid.
I worked in retail pharmacy as a tech for 10 years before I became a pharmacist. What I am doing now, really everything I have done since graduating, bears no resemblance to my work as a non-pharmacist. You do you, of course, but it might be a premature decision.
And for some extra gold, you can be forgiven of your indulgences.
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Yea most of the med schools ive looked into take a pharmD over a bach. The ones that dont just wont get my application.It might be worth checking with your pharmacy school to see if they will grant you a bachelor's degree in addition to a pharmd. Most medical schools specifically want you to have a bachelor's degree, and you'll have to go through a waiver process or provide additional clarification as to why you dont have a bachelor's but you have another advanced degree. A lot of the low-rank admissions folks in med schools dont even know what a pharmd is. You can save yourself the hassle by just getting a bachelor's degree and make it easier to check that box. Some pharmacy schools have a procedure in place where they will issue you a bachelor's degree after finishing the first two years of pharmacy school - check with your registrar / academic advising office / student affairs director.
Yea most of the med schools ive looked into take a pharmD over a bach. The ones that dont just wont get my application.
Glad you already looked into and are aware of the problem. I would advise to keep as many options open as possible and cast a broad net when applying to med schools. If getting a bachelor's degree on top of your pharmd is just a matter of filling out a form and paying a small processing fee, it wouldnt hurt. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Yea i am applying to prob 30 schools to ensure i have a good chance of getting in this cycle. I will def look into the bach thing though to see if theyll offer it. Thanks for the advice! 🙂Glad you already looked into and are aware of the problem. I would advise to keep as many options open as possible and cast a broad net when applying to med schools. If getting a bachelor's degree on top of your pharmd is just a matter of filling out a form and paying a small processing fee, it wouldnt hurt. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Also, it might be worth being upfront with your pharmacy preceptors about your plans to apply to med school (if you trust them/think they will be supportive). Depending on the practice site, they could be a good resource to connect you with physicians for shadowing experiences. If your school of pharmacy is associated with a school of medicine, it wouldn't hurt to reach out to that school - go to their open house, reach out to their admissions office to learn more about applying to the school, and just develop a relationship with them in whatever way you can.
And make sure you have a good answer for why you want to go to med school after going to pharm school, since you will definitely be asked that.
And make sure you have a good answer for why you want to go to med school after going to pharm school, since you will definitely be asked that.
I am a P3. I am studying now. I will finish my pharmD and hopefully matriculate into med school that same year which is why i have to apply this year.
MCAT is mostly critical thinking. My diagnostic without studying is the avg for actual MCAT takers. I will be good by the time my test comes around. My school is far from easy, but like any professional program, its time management. Many have failed out but They havent learned how to manage their time properly yet. Ive taken 24 credit hours as a sophomore in undergrad before while working. Its not that bad. Just have to stay focused and prayed up 🙂
I was never in pharmacy school, but I was a Pharmacology and Toxicology major in undergrad so I took most of my classes with the PharmD students during their first two years. Don't underestimate the MCAT, I studied for it during my P1 classes 1st semester and took it in Jan. I spent 2x-3x more time on MCAT studying that I did on med chem, physio chem, and pharmacology combined.
Since you don't have bachelor, how you suppose to get in med school. I thought you said you need bachelor to apply. If you plan to get bachelor, what your degree? I'm in same boat too.Wont say to protect my identity and dont think its important. But its somewhere On the east coast. You do need a bach or higher to apply to med school. I will have a doctorate.
I try to PM you but it doesn't work
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Thanks! I have found 2 physicians to shadown and get at least 100+ hours. It is a very reputable hospital as well so i feel it would look good. I am not interested in my school’s med school though but i am doing some clinical volunteering with them to add more to my appAlso, it might be worth being upfront with your pharmacy preceptors about your plans to apply to med school (if you trust them/think they will be supportive). Depending on the practice site, they could be a good resource to connect you with physicians for shadowing experiences. If your school of pharmacy is associated with a school of medicine, it wouldn't hurt to reach out to that school - go to their open house, reach out to their admissions office to learn more about applying to the school, and just develop a relationship with them in whatever way you can.
And make sure you have a good answer for why you want to go to med school after going to pharm school, since you will definitely be asked that.
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Yea i am studying for it now. Its mainly critical thinking but still a beast. I have scored avg for all mcat test takers just from my diagnostic without studying so i am aiming for at least 505 to be good for MD.I was never in pharmacy school, but I was a Pharmacology and Toxicology major in undergrad so I took most of my classes with the PharmD students during their first two years. Don't underestimate the MCAT, I studied for it during my P1 classes 1st semester and took it in Jan. I spent 2x-3x more time on MCAT studying that I did on med chem, physio chem, and pharmacology combined.
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Most schools have a 90 credit hour req you have to meet to apply. A lot of schools will gladly accept your pharmD over a bach. There may be some anal schools but you will be fine without one.Since you don't have bachelor, how you suppose to get in med school. I thought you said you need bachelor to apply. If you plan to get bachelor, what your degree? I'm in same boat too.
I try to PM you but it doesn't work
Yea i am studying for it now. Its mainly critical thinking but still a beast. I have scored avg for all mcat test takers just from my diagnostic without studying so i am aiming for at least 505 to be good for MD.
For MD I would aim 510+. Avg across all schools is 511 (85th percentile). If you're from an unlucky state (Cali) aim higher. If your UG GPA is lower, aim even higher. Also third party exams aren't representative, some are very deflated and others can be inflated. Only AAMC exams can tell you how you are doing. You should checkout the MCAT forum here and join the reddit MCAT discord, both really helped me.
Good luck!
EDIT: Just realized you don't have a bachelors, that could cause issues. @Goro would know much more than I and might be knowledgeable on if that is a issue.
Futurepharmdmd
Full Member
Yea i was told that since i am URM AA a 505+ would be good enough for MD. I have some friends that got into multiple MD programs with a 500 some a 498 and mediocre GPA along with scholarships. I am aiming for higher of course but i would be happy with at least a 505For MD I would aim 510+. Avg across all schools is 511 (85th percentile). If you're from an unlucky state (Cali) aim higher. If your UG GPA is lower, aim even higher. Also third party exams aren't representative, some are very deflated and others can be inflated. Only AAMC exams can tell you how you are doing. You should checkout the MCAT forum here and join the reddit MCAT discord, both really helped me.
Good luck!
EDIT: Just realized you don't have a bachelors, that could cause issues. @Goro would know much more than I and might be knowledgeable on if that is a issue.
And the 3rd party i took is said to be “deflated” but i am using all my resources especially since its free. Lol
I am in the reddit mcat community already and loving it lol they are very helpful on there and have some great resources!
I was told from someone that did the pharmd to md without a bach that it was no problem and that the PharmD was gladly accepted. I have also been calling my potential schools to make sure & it seems to be perfectly fine!
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 775
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 576