Pharmacists who smoke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1CE K

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Marijuana.

Anyone here smokes or know any healthcare practitioners that smokes weed?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't say I do. Since many pharmacies & hospitals drug test regularly & marijuana will cause a positive test up to 30 days after taken, I would imagine the number of healthcare professionals smoking weed is pretty small.

calling @Sparda29 ?? :)
I am all for the legalization of it, but until it is, not worth the risk of losing my job

Members don't see this ad :)
You can lose your license over it. It is not worth the risk.

They exist, I know a couple of RPhs in the great state of Colorado who do/did, although one was fired due to somehow not knowing how to pass a drug test. Thankfully he kept his license.

Drug testing is illegal in some states, so there have got to be people smoking there.

Personally I feel that marijuana illegality and it's associated drug testing is a major affront to privacy rights, but, wouldn't pick up smoking again until it became legal nationally. Once it does, off-duty-behavior statutes should prevail and provide legal protection.

There are plenty of "professionals" who use illegal substances out there , for better or worse. The smart ones either only indulge occasionally, or know how to keep secrets wisely. One way or another, if you're stupid, you'll get caught and likely lose everything. Don't go into healthcare if you are already planning to use drugs, or if it is a real part of your lifestyle.. plenty of people will be ready and waiting to fire you, put you in jail, or take your license.

But there are dumber situations to be in, such as going into pharmacy with a pre existing dependence or addiction to narcotics, which believe it or not, they exist out there, but as you will learn in your drug abuse for healthcare providers seminar, these people are basically on a one way train to having no livelihood, jail, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

They exist, I know a couple of RPhs in the great state of Colorado who do/did, although one was fired due to somehow not knowing how to pass a drug test. Thankfully he kept his license.

Drug testing is illegal in some states, so there have got to be people smoking there.

Personally I feel that marijuana illegality and it's associated drug testing is a major affront to privacy rights, but, wouldn't pick up smoking again until it became legal nationally. Once it does, off-duty-behavior statutes should prevail and provide legal protection.

There are plenty of "professionals" who use illegal substances out there , for better or worse. The smart ones either only indulge occasionally, or know how to keep secrets wisely. One way or another, if you're stupid, you'll get caught and likely lose everything. Don't go into healthcare if you are already planning to use drugs, or if it is a real part of your lifestyle.. plenty of people will be ready and waiting to fire you, put you in jail, or take your license.

But there are dumber situations to be in, such as going into pharmacy with a pre existing dependence or addiction to narcotics, which believe it or not, they exist out there, but as you will learn in your drug abuse for healthcare providers seminar, these people are basically on a one way train to having no livelihood, jail, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

Wait, I thought pharmacists in Washington and Colorado would be in the clear since recreational is legal there.

Wait, I thought pharmacists in Washington and Colorado would be in the clear since recreational is legal there.

No, they are not in the clear. It is a C-1 drug, and thus you cannot keep a DEA license if you are found to have it. The state laws do not protect you from being fired or suffering consequences on the federal law.

No, they are not in the clear. It is a C-1 drug, and thus you cannot keep a DEA license if you are found to have it. The state laws do not protect you from being fired or suffering consequences on the federal law.

Hmm, pretty weird. What if you have a medical marijuana card?

New York State recently legalized medical marijuana but they did it all wrong. Only non-smokeable forms are being legalized and there are only a few conditions that it can be prescribed for.

I was hoping it would be like California.

The fed needs to wake the **** up and just legalize it and allow it to be sold without restrictions or regulations.

I always thought it was ironic that you can pass a pee test for heavy stuff like opiates and meth after a relatively short washout yet weed will get you weeks/months afterafter

When I was working graveyard, my front-end peeps (cashier and shift supervisor) used to go out of the store and smoke occasionally. Offered me some brownies too.

Reactions: 1 user

New York State recently legalized medical marijuana but they did it all wrong. Only non-smokeable forms are being legalized and there are only a few conditions that it can be prescribed for.

I was hoping it would be like California.

The fed needs to wake the **** up and just legalize it and allow it to be sold without restrictions or regulations.

It's constitutionally and legally completely bogus to fire someone for what they do legally during their private (time off).. This has already been brought to court in Colorado, but the appeals court basically said (paraphrase) 'we're not going to issue such a big ruling while it is still federally illegal' which sucks but is a wise move considering the DEA and DOJ are watching pretty closely at this point.

Also most medical states have specific provisions in statute protecting employers rights with regard to marijuana use by employees. Constitutionally, complete crap, but would likely change when it becomes legal nationally. There is the whole issue of measuring impairment level, which still needs to be established.

It's about as useful as a Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger ID card would be if you were trying to get into secure NASA facilities.

A C1 is a C1 is a C1.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always thought it was ironic that you can pass a pee test for heavy stuff like opiates and meth after a relatively short washout yet weed will get you weeks/months afterafter

What? I don't believe it lasts that long.

Urine bag is cheap.

You'd be safer with acid or mushrooms. No drug test for those :D

It's constitutionally and legally completely bogus to fire someone for what they do legally during their private (time off).. This has already been brought to court in Colorado, but the appeals court basically said (paraphrase) 'we're not going to issue such a big ruling while it is still federally illegal' which sucks but is a wise move considering the DEA and DOJ are watching pretty closely at this point.

Also most medical states have specific provisions in statute protecting employers rights with regard to marijuana use by employees. Constitutionally, complete crap, but would likely change when it becomes legal nationally. There is the whole issue of measuring impairment level, which still needs to be established.
are you an idiot? It may be legal by state law, but still federally illegal, feds win out EVERY time. It is a C1 (although I disagree with this, I still have to follow the law). And it is not bogus to fire someone for what they do legally during their time off. There is a fortune 500 company - I cannot remember which one, that will not employ tobacco smokers, which is perfectly legal.

If your state is a right to work state, you can be fired at any time for any reason, provided it is not a "protected" reason (age, sex, religion, etc)

It's constitutionally and legally completely bogus to fire someone for what they do legally during their private (time off)..
Actually it isn't. The constitution does not address the "Right to Work." Most likely, the writers of the constitution and Bill of Rights would have seen Employment law outside the purview of the federal government (a state issue). Your state constitution might address it, but that is also unlikely. I am unaware of any state that protects you for being fired for action outside work. The only exception might be states where it is medically (but not recreationally) legal. There you might be protected because of a medical condition. However, if said condition (or treatment) interferred with work, was not protected under ADA laws, or could not be "reasonably" accommodated then you might be fired anyway.

If your state is a right to work state, you can be fired at any time for any reason, provided it is not a "protected" reason (age, sex, religion, etc)

Just a side comment (as this is a small pet peeve with me), I think the phrase you are looking for is "At will" not "right to work." Right to work states prevent Unions from requiring membership, the opposite being a "Union Shop" state. Most states are "At-will" in some regard. "Implied-in-law" states are the most opposite from pure "at-will" states, and even those allow company policies to dictate firing practices for this kind of thing. For example, in all states - if the employee handbook states that you can be terminated for positive drug tests, then you would be pretty much SOL unless you had a prescription treating an ADA protected condition.

There you might be protected because of a medical condition. However, if said condition (or treatment) interferred with work, was not protected under ADA laws, or could not be "reasonably" accommodated then you might be fired anyway. For example, in all states - if the employee handbook states that you can be terminated for positive drug tests, then you would be pretty much SOL unless you had a prescription treating an ADA protected condition.

Case in Michigan, an employee of Wal-Mart was fired for testing positive for marijuana which he was using legally for brain cancer (under state law, not considered legal under federal law.) The ADA is federal, therefor does not offer protection for using marijuana which is illegal under federal law. Both the lower court and appeal court have ruled in favor of Wal-Mart. I suspect this case will be appealed further, but until/unless federal law changes, I don't see the employee getting his job back.

Actually it isn't. The constitution does not address the "Right to Work." Most likely, the writers of the constitution and Bill of Rights would have seen Employment law outside the purview of the federal government (a state issue). Your state constitution might address it, but that is also unlikely. I am unaware of any state that protects you for being fired for action outside work. The only exception might be states where it is medically (but not recreationally) legal. There you might be protected because of a medical condition. However, if said condition (or treatment) interferred with work, was not protected under ADA laws, or could not be "reasonably" accommodated then you might be fired anyway.

Just a side comment (as this is a small pet peeve with me), I think the phrase you are looking for is "At will" not "right to work." Right to work states prevent Unions from requiring membership, the opposite being a "Union Shop" state. Most states are "At-will" in some regard. "Implied-in-law" states are the most opposite from pure "at-will" states, and even those allow company policies to dictate firing practices for this kind of thing. For example, in all states - if the employee handbook states that you can be terminated for positive drug tests, then you would be pretty much SOL unless you had a prescription treating an ADA protected condition.
thanks for the clarification - I understand the differences, but often they go hand in hand here - but yes, you are correct

It's pretty much common sense though. Don't smoke if you're going to be at work within the next 8 hours. Don't let people at work know that you smoke, don't even get into conversations about weed. As long as you don't give them a reason to think you're working while high, you won't get drug tested.

If you're a chronic (luls) smoker it can be + for months. If it's a once in a while thing its generally out of you in a week.

I thought once you took a puff of ganja it stayed in your system forever. Doesn't marijuana have a half-life similar to uranium?

If you're a chronic (luls) smoker it can be + for months. If it's a once in a while thing its generally out of you in a week.
Lexi says 4 days for minimal use & 30 days for frequent use. Those might be point estimates, but I wouldn't expect "months" to be realistic. Maybe 6 weeks?

Do you have a source for this?
Anecdotal. I have a friend that smoked daily and passed a urine test for an IPPE site within 2 weeks of stopping.

No matter the frequency, you're really only at risk for getting caught if you're randomly tested on site or it's a hair test. Otherwise you can go to a head/smoke shop to buy synthetic urine for $20-40. Warm it up in the microwave and wrap it in warmers that usually come with the kit so the temperature stays within range. That's what my friend had to do before rotations because the credentialing deadline crept up out of nowhere.

Lexi says 4 days for minimal use & 30 days for frequent use. Those might be point estimates, but I wouldn't expect "months" to be realistic. Maybe 6 weeks?

Correct. Months was an exaggeration. Excuse me.

Do you have a source for this?

No, but the theory is that if you smoke all day every day that the THC deposits in your fat. When you stop, it gets excreted but your stores of it will be releasing it at the level where your urine THC concentration stays above 50 ug/ml for a while. Thus, people with more fat will test positive for a longer time than someone who has very low body fat %.

It's pretty much common sense though. Don't smoke if you're going to be at work within the next 8 hours. Don't let people at work know that you smoke, don't even get into conversations about weed. As long as you don't give them a reason to think you're working while high, you won't get drug tested.
I talk about it all the time, I am an huge advocate of the legalization. Although I never smoke simply because I am afraid of getting caught. WHen I tell people I never have, most don't believe me, but I enjoy messing with the conservative southerners who think it is a product of the devil

I talk about it all the time, I am an huge advocate of the legalization. Although I never smoke simply because I am afraid of getting caught. WHen I tell people I never have, most don't believe me, but I enjoy messing with the conservative southerners who think it is a product of the devil

You gotta be careful who you talk about it to. I'd never ever talk about it to the director or anyone in management. Only if they bring it up first. Let's say you talk about it, and then one day you call in sick. If the director is a sadistic bastard he might say, "oh are you calling in because you're sick or because you're high", next thing you know you're peeing in a cup and getting fired.

I don't smoke but I know people who did as interns I'm sure they do as pharmacists now. Personally if you smoke outside of work more power to you, I enjoy a good beverage when I'm off work and on weekends but I would never come to work drunk etc. As long as they are not high as hell at work I'm okay with it. Plus if they smoke I'd hope they would not SHARE that information with other pharmacists as this profession is full of snakes who are still in competition and fail to realize that no one gives a f*** after high school lol. So they could easily be put in jail, lose their license etc.

As far as drug testing marijuana can be out of your system within a week if you smoke irregularly, Its regular smoking that causes the 30 day build up and positive test results. Remember its having a level that's detectable that counts. They also have new tests in states where its legal just like breathalyzer where they can get a current drug level based on I believe if you have smoked in like the last 6 hours and behind the wheel is detectable and a DWI. I would suppose the same would apply to pharmacists at work.

You gotta be careful who you talk about it to. I'd never ever talk about it to the director or anyone in management. Only if they bring it up first. Let's say you talk about it, and then one day you call in sick. If the director is a sadistic bastard he might say, "oh are you calling in because you're sick or because you're high", next thing you know you're peeing in a cup and getting fired.
like I said, I don't smoke so I have no concerns about peeing in a cup, and I know many managers/directors in a company I used to work for who smoked, hell our former executive president of the board of pharmacy was a strong advocate for the legalization