Pharmacist's work-- how intense it is?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avrelian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can you sit down every half an hour for a few minutes?
can you check your email or read some news ( forums? ) once or twice a day?
Are you dreaming of retirement, or you see yourself working ( at least part-time ) in your 70s?

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on where you work. Some pharmacists at retail locations I know are lucky to get to sit down for 10 mins or so during their shift.

But what about hospital pharmacists? At that interview I went to last week there were like 7-10 pharmacists either sitting at a computer (staff) or at a desk in an office (clinical). Is that pretty typical? I assume they are still very busy...but they are sitting.

Members don't see this ad :)
It all depends on where you work and what day it is. I have worked in both retail and hospital and there are good and bad days in both of them. The key is to talk to people at an instituition before you accept a position there.

Are you dreaming of retirement, or you see yourself working ( at least part-time ) in your 70s?

No, can't sit down, but do try to make a point to sit a few minutes daily.

No, no time for that.

Yes, hate work, love free time.

No, will never be able to work retail in my 70's, physically no possible to stand for 12hrs. daily.

i'm an IT pharmacist in a hospital.....was staff until a few weeks ago.
my answers to your questions

1 - depends on the day/night. some days i dont have time to fart.....other days it's like watching paint dry.

2 - see answer #1....also, being able to check email/forums will depend on the web access of wherever you work. i'm basically chained to my work email. personal comes to my own blackberry, so i can stay in touch with friends whenever.

3 - despite complaining alot....i love what i do and dont think id every fully retire.

No, can't sit down, but do try to make a point to sit a few minutes daily.

No, no time for that.

Yes, hate work, love free time.

No, will never be able to work retail in my 70's, physically no possible to stand for 12hrs. daily.

Don't kid yourself about being able to work into your 70's. A few years ago we were using temp pharmacists and we had a guy working for us who was 80 years old. He had the oldest active license in the state of Colorado. He had a full time job and then worked on his off days as a temp. I think he said he works 20 days in a row before a day off. He didn't know **** but could at least fill and check scripts.

Don't kid yourself about being able to work into your 70's. A few years ago we were using temp pharmacists and we had a guy working for us who was 80 years old. He had the oldest active license in the state of Colorado. He had a full time job and then worked on his off days as a temp. I think he said he works 20 days in a row before a day off. He didn't know **** but could at least fill and check scripts.

:laugh: We have a guy who is in his very late 70s, talk about a liability!! He is a floater and he doesn't know ANYTHING. He isn't allowed to work by himself and has to always have at least 1 tech working with him. He works a ton and he also works as an on-call pharmacist for a small hospital. I worked with him once and it was a nightmare, I was still pre-pharm at the time and even then I knew he was majorly screwing stuff up. I couldn't imagine what him at the hospital is like.

I was shadowing a pharmacist in the hospital and she was mostly at the desk. She willingly gave me her attention because she had the free time to do it. But I guess it was a slow day for her.

if i am not mistaken, one didnt have to go to college to be a pharmacist back then.

Formal education has been required since the last quarter of the 19th century.
A 70 year old will probably have the 4 year BS Pharm. That became the standard degree in the 1930s.

we have one who is older than dirt. I believe he's in his 80s now. He's funny. I say good for him. It gets him out of the house and a break from his wife with severe Alzheimer's :(

We have another who is our nightshift pharmacist and works full time for us and fulltime at Wags. I believe he's in his 60s.