Pharmacology in medical school

Started by leagall
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

leagall

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is Pharmacology a tough class in medical school? Would it be useful to take a pharmacology class before med school? My school offers 2 pharmacology courses that are supposed to closely align with the med school pharmacology curriculum.

Thanks!
 
Its hard in the sense that there is a lot of memorizing to do but it's still probably my favorite class. It allows me to learn the nitty gritty mechanisms of disease processes which I normally don't pay the attention to 😴

If you can take a pharm class or two, I would. The more the merrier
 
Its hard in the sense that there is a lot of memorizing to do but it's still probably my favorite class. It allows me to learn the nitty gritty mechanisms of disease processes which I normally don't pay the attention to 😴

If you can take a pharm class or two, I would. The more the merrier

Thanks for your advice. So is the class more conceptual like physiology or memorization-based like Anatomy? I am good at memorization-based classes like Anatomy because I can memorize quickly---it's the more conceptual-based classes like Physiology that I have difficulty with.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is a mix of conceptual and memorization. I feel like you to have a good understanding of the physiology (with the exception of some units like the CNS unit in which the reason why the drugs do what they do is less clear) behind each system to understand what the drugs are doing BEFORE you can start memorizing, but there is a great deal of memorization. I think the memorization for pharm can be even worse than anatomy because there is no visual link to the material you are learning and 80% of the names of the drugs have no connection to what the drug actually does - there is a serious lack of naming conventions...
 
It is a mix of conceptual and memorization. I feel like you to have a good understanding of the physiology (with the exception of some units like the CNS unit in which the reason why the drugs do what they do is less clear) behind each system to understand what the drugs are doing BEFORE you can start memorizing, but there is a great deal of memorization. I think the memorization for pharm can be even worse than anatomy because there is no visual link to the material you are learning and 80% of the names of the drugs have no connection to what the drug actually does - there is a serious lack of naming conventions...

Sometimes you just have to make up your own naming conventions. Ex: metformin for diabetes 2, inhibits gluconeogenesis. The "formin" reminds me that something is "being formed," i.e., glucose. Not the best and sometimes damn near impossible to associate the drug name with anything useful, but it can be helpful.
 
Based on my pharm classes so far, it's basically memorize: drug name, mechanism of effect (enzyme inhibitor, receptor agonist, etc), characteristic side effects.
 
Well at my school, pharm is a 1 week course where you learn the basics (loading dose, maint. dose, competitive/noncomp inhibition, etc etc.) of pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics. Then we learn about each individual drug later during the respective organ systems courses.

In my opinion, taking an undergrad course in pharmacodynamics/kinetics may be a waste of time, since the basic pharm course they teach in med school is fairly easy and straightforward and only takes 1 week. Even if your undergrad pharm course teaches about specific drugs and their mechanism of action and side effects, I don't see how it'd be useful since you wouldn't have had much exposure to pathology yet, and besides, new drugs come out all the time and treatment standards change so frequently that whatever you might learn in your undergrad course might not apply by the time you learn it again in med school.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.