Pharmacology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheerin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a senior in High school. And I want to become a pharmacologist. I've read that I need to take Pcats in my sophomore year of college to be able to go to pharmacology school?

Please help me. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacology is not pharmacy. Pharmacology is more research based (in fact, it's pretty much all research based) while pharmacy is more clinical.

If you want to go into Pharmacology, you can major that as an undergraduate (some schools have it), or the next best option is to major in Chemistry or Biochemistry. You'll have to take the GRE's and apply to a Ph.D. program in pharmacology.

If you want to go into Pharmacy (which I think is what you are thinking of), you'll have to take the PCAT at the latest the year you submit applications. As for your undergraduate major/degree, it doesn't matter, so long as you complete all the prerequisites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't all psychiatrists "psychopharmacologists"? :smuggrin:

I'm really being sarcastic today. I'm sorry. I'll start being nice Cali again. :love:

Pharmacology is not pharmacy. Pharmacology is more research based (in fact, it's pretty much all research based) while pharmacy is more clinical.

If you want to go into Pharmacology, you can major that as an undergraduate (some schools have it), or the next best option is to major in Chemistry or Biochemistry. You'll have to take the GRE's and apply to a Ph.D. program in pharmacology.

If you want to go into Pharmacy (which I think is what you are thinking of), you'll have to take the PCAT at the latest the year you submit applications. As for your undergraduate major/degree, it doesn't matter, so long as you complete all the prerequisites.
Should I get my BS for chemistry then take the GRE and go for Ph.D in pharmacology?

Should I get my BS for chemistry then take the GRE and go for Ph.D in pharmacology?
Screw pharmacology. I'm studying it right now, and it sucks. All I want is for this exam to be over with.

Does this look interesting to you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenergic_receptor
alpha, beta, alpha, beta, alpha 1, alpha 2, alpha 1 or beta 2, M1, M3, M2, M1 or M3, BLAH BLAH BLAH

Yes. A chem BS should prepare you well for pharmacology. Some schools do offer pharmacology type classes for undergrads so you might want to look into those. You will take the GRE the senior year of your undergrad, and you might need to take a GRE subtest for grad school in addition. Try getting research in a lab during undergrad. The experience will really help you get into grad school and will also let you know whether or not the field is something you for sure want to pursue.

I would suggest a biochem degree. You need to know enough about the body to utilize the information about the drugs you'll work with.
Medicinal chemistry is about the chemicals themselves, while pharmacology concerns how they affect the body. You will need a good understanding of the body.

How much pharmacology is in pharmcy? Or is it more biochemistry? I went to one of the pharmacology classes and didn't sound all that interesting. Was only interesting when they talked about how it interacts with like a step in glycolysis.

How much pharmacology is in pharmcy? Or is it more biochemistry? I went to one of the pharmacology classes and didn't sound all that interesting. Was only interesting when they talked about how it interacts with like a step in glycolysis.
The reason why pharmacy students have to study pharmacology is so that they can know what a drug does on a molecular/receptor level. In my opinion, I think it's a waste of time. I've never seen a pharmacist use pharmacology in practice. Besides, the info is listed on the package insert if there was ever a need.
It's not interesting to me.
Ask WVU what he thinks...

Screw pharmacology. I'm studying it right now, and it sucks. All I want is for this exam to be over with.

Does this look interesting to you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenergic_receptor
alpha, beta, alpha, beta, alpha 1, alpha 2, alpha 1 or beta 2, M1, M3, M2, M1 or M3, BLAH BLAH BLAH

It's way more interesting than memorizing endless clinical guidelines. ....and you forgot beta 3.

I'm thinking about the PHD path...but...man....too much time investment....

It's way more interesting than memorizing endless clinical guidelines. ....and you forgot beta 3.

I'm thinking about the PHD path...but...man....too much time investment....

I really don't like nomenclature. I never have.
:laugh:
Don't worry, I got it right on the exam. Beta 3...lipolysis...adipose tissue...blah blah...etc.

What are you worried about? Your wifey's in pharmacy school too. Isn't that enough of an investment? :smuggrin:
If you have federally subsidized loans, you wouldn't have to worry about repaying anything until you have the PHD. Just make sure you're a full-time student.

I've thought about going to dental school after pharmacy school, but that's still up in the air. It just depends on if I stay in New Orleans. It's the LSU dental school, and I'm a LSU alumnus- it seems like a perfect match to me :).