Pharmacy and Optometry Job Saturation Issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

ohopenyoureyes

Just saying this is no means to bash any field! I was formerly premed, but I'm honestly tired of the constant stress that it brings into my life. I don't think I would genuinely be happy as a M.D. or D.O. because I want a better life-work balance.

After some serious contemplation, I'm considering optometry or pharmacy. What scares me is that both of these fields seem too saturated. I think I have the grades and passion to drive myself to get into either school (hopefully). I have a 3.7 (almost 3.8) and I am planning to shadow tremendously this summer and take the OAT/PCAT in August.

I was for people to just give me their opinions on what field they think may be safer to be in. The pay of either profession is great.
What I'm more worried about is it being worth it job wise. I really do not want to be job-less after graduation.

Again, I just want to emphasize that I do not want to make this a battle on what profession is better. Just want some opinions on job security.

Members don't see this ad.

With your GPA, I would go the physician assistant route which supposedly gives you a better work-life balance. Either that or computer programming or finance.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will always find a job in both if you are flexible. In terms of job satisfaction I'm pretty sure you'll be happier as an optometrist vs a pharmacist (from multiple friends and acquaintances who have mentioned what entails in their job). Of course this is what I have gathered and does not apply to everyone or general population so don't flame me. Pay coming out as new grad are pretty similar along with loan/years. PA is good secondary from MD/DO if you decide on the life/work balance. Up to you. Goodluck.

Last edited: