2018 Pharmacy Apps: How do you explain a low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have racked up quite a number of Cs on my transcript due to not going into college with the right mindset. I was very unsure of how to study and honestly what to really do in college. I am the first member in my family to go to college here in the United States and so I had absolutely no guidance growing up as to how to conduct myself in school. I did relatively well in high school but college was my real test. I did not do well until I turned 21 and began to realize that I was lacking major skills that are required of people in the real world. I turned all of my efforts and attention towards pharmacy and began to really focus on what I need to do to get into pharmacy school and be a great pharmacist.
I wanted your opinions on how to explain my low GPA to the admissions board.
This past semester was my best semester yet. My GPA was a 3.61, with 3 As in ochem 2, management and leadership. I got 2 Bs in anatomy and microbiology.
My past GPAs have only hit a 2.91 at highest so this semester looks really good.
What do you think would be a great answer as to how to explain myself with my low GPA?
Should I just tell the admissions committee all that I wrote up there?
Would they judge me or would it make me look bad?
One of my secret drawbacks as well was that I found out that my junior year that I am prone to depression.
Maybe that also had an effect on the way that I performed during my semesters.
Would that be alright to say as well? I am not sure.
Thank you for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same situation but I'm going into my third year of undergrad. Can you tell me what you changed to become a better student?

I was actually asked the same in my interviews. I had an horrible GPA of 2.0? or 2.1 in my Freshmen year and it steadily went up, (Had a 3.9 this year if I don't include my previous year GPAs) I just replied that in an honestly that I didn't really have a plan nor any drive to pursue anything. Interviews are usually timed, at least mines were so telling them a long story wouldn't be ideal.

Hi guys! I actually have some great news! I have gotten accepted into many college of pharmacy's and i will be starting in the fall!
I actually got accepted into all of the college of pharmacy's that I have applied to this cycle so I am excited to say, even though you may have some pretty low grades and have been unfocused in the past, you can still get in.
during my interview, they didn't really ask me about my grades at all. they mainly asked me other personal questions and things like that.
my boyfriend keeps telling me that my pcat score is what got my in. because schools around the nation all have different inflation rates for grades; for example an A in community college is not the same as an A at a 4 year university.
My Cs and Bs would look roughly the same as an A at a no-name community college.
if you guys want tips on interview skills or anything you want to know, feel free to message me!
good luck!