Pharmacy Australia Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shangul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know, how likely is it for Canadians who become pharmacist in Aus to be able to get their license and practice there... would they get their internships easily. Currently those Canadians/Americans who go to Australia to become doctors (get their MBBS) have a very hard time securing internship position (they are moved to the end of the line behind Australian citizens...). Do Canadians who are trained as pharmacist in Australia face similar situation?
2-How tough is it for a Canadian (who becomes pharmacist in Australia) to come back and get his license either in Canada or U.S.
3- How's UQs Pharmacy w/n Australia & internationally?
4-Is there any Canadian/American who is currently attending Pharmacy schools in Aus? I'd like to know why you went there!

I'd appreciate it if you could help w/ your insights.thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey, Shagul

I am in UBC doing my pharmacy degree right now. I think the policies for expats vary from province to province in Canada

I can't speak for other provinces, but I think in BC, you have to submit an application, write the IELTS and an Evaluating exam, then you have to go through a battery of exams common to all Pharm graduates (eg BC Jurisprudence Test, Pharmacy knowledge tests, ) and then you have to do about some months to 1 year of Structured Pharmaceutical Education Practicum(SPEP), basically, assigned to specific pharmacy to work to gain work experiences before you can gain licensure by BC College of Pharmacists.

Hope that helps.

AL

I wanted to know, how likely is it for Canadians who become pharmacist in Aus to be able to get their license and practice there... would they get their internships easily. Currently those Canadians/Americans who go to Australia to become doctors (get their MBBS) have a very hard time securing internship position (they are moved to the end of the line behind Australian citizens...). Do Canadians who are trained as pharmacist in Australia face similar situation?

Hi shangul, I was looking for the answer to a similar question when I stumbled upon yours, so I joined the forum to respond to you.

I am a Canadian (born here) who has completed my 2nd year of pharmacy at UQ in Brisbane, Australia, and is going back for 3rd year soon. From how you've phrased your question, it sounds like you're asking if a Canadian goes to Aus and completes their pharm degree, how hard will it be for them to gain an internship position THERE (in Aus). Well to the best of my knowledge, it depends on the availability of positions in your area. There are quite a few pharmacy schools in the state of Queensland (as opposed to 2 in Ontario), and each pumps out between 200-250 graduates a year. In the next few years, I believe there will be many graduates competing for internship positions, especially in urban areas, so it may be a bit more challenging than it is now. I would say your chances also depend on your experience within pharmacy. If you are willing to head out to less popular areas (ie: rural areas), chances are better. Being a Canadian who has studied there shouldn't hamper your chances compared to an Australian citizen, and if it does, that sounds like discrimination to me!

2-How tough is it for a Canadian (who becomes pharmacist in Australia) to come back and get his license either in Canada or U.S.
I have been looking into this myself, as I do plan on returning to Canada (Ontario) to work after graduating. Currently there are no limits to the amount of pharmacy grads that can enter Canada, and there are no percentage rules governing returning like with med (ie: if you pass the licencing exams, you're ok, unlike med, where only a fixed top percentage pass). Make sure the school you are looking into is accredited and recognized by the OCP. UQ is, and I checked this before I started my degree, 2 years ago.

In Ontario, you undergo a similar, if not the same process as domestic grads, which includes licensing exams and structured practical training, similar to what APHL described in BC.

I am unaware of the process in the US.

3- How's UQs Pharmacy w/n Australia & internationally?
Having studied at UQ for 2 years already, I can tell you that UQ is a very highly regarded school, both within Australia and internationally. The school is massive, has ALOT of money and is surrounded by several hospitals, similar to UofT. Furthermore, they have constructed a brand new (supposedly state of the art) pharmacy school which all pharmacy students will be moving to as of 2010.

On the downside, tuition fees are ridiculously expensive. Thankfully OSAP recognizes the school and provides funding, but the maximum you can receive still only covers about 25% of the fees!

4-Is there any Canadian/American who is currently attending Pharmacy schools in Aus? I'd like to know why you went there!
I went there because I couldn't get into UofT/Waterloo. I even applied to out of province uni's, but no luck. I applied to Aus because I have family there and it's a beautiful warm country!

I hope this helps you, and it would be great to connect with other Canadians currently studying Pharmacy in Australia. Feel free to ask any other questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how lenient RCSI is with their conditional offer? If you are a couple of percent below the condition, would they take away the offer immediately ?