Pharmacy: Average Degree Age and Education Path

Started by stefjord
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

What age were you (will you be) when you graduated from pharmacy school?


  • Total voters
    78

stefjord

CPhT
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was hoping to find out information from people pursuing or who have received their Pharm.D License. What is your average age? What educational path did you go through after high school (general idea). I am a college freshman, trying to figure out which path is more common.

Thanks 🙂
 
I cast my vote, but I got a B.S in Chemistry with a Biology minor, then attended a 4 year traditional Pharm.D, all back to back no years off.
 
bio degree undergrad - then to a 4 year post professional program - half my class was in a 6 year program. no years off
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i was exactly 23 and a half when i graduated, i was 3 months away from turning 24 when i received my first pharmacist license from the state i graduated from, and received the california license and moved here 2 months before turning 24. i was the youngest pharmacist in my district with my old job at a chain, still the youngest pharmacist at my new job =D after almost two years post graduation. in CA, besides UOP, all the other schools are 4+4, so our rotation students are generally older than me since I was born at the end of the year. i feel amazing about being so young. i went to a 0+6 program straight out of high school.
 
Last edited:
Graduated at 28. Took a year off from school after high school to party and be a bum. Did three years of undergrad full-time, then decided to get married and move to a different city. When I transferred colleges I lost some credits and had to retake classes, and also switched from full-time to part-time since I was also working. Once I was accepted into pharmacy school I quit my job, became a full-time student, and worked part-time as an intern at a local hospital.

I'd say I certainly took the scenic path, but I was far from the oldest student at graduation. I may have been slightly higher than average though. I wish I would have powered through school and graduated sooner, but I had a good time so no worries.
 
18 years old when I graduated high school
still 18 when I dropped out of engineering school (after 1 semester)
worked as a full time pharmacy tech for a while
21 when I started a 6 year pharmacy program
27 when I graduated with a PharmD
27 when I started my MS
29 when I finished my MS in Applied Pharmacoeconomics
 
I did 2 years at a community college, then another 3 at a university to get my BS in Biology (also while working part-time as a pharmacy tech). I took a year off to accumulate some funds for when I applied to school (it can be $$$ if you apply to more than a couple of schools) and also took some additional classes I thought would be beneficial for pharm school that I didn't squeak in during undergrad (Biochem, Immunology, etc.), which was incredibly beneficial. Went to a 3-year school and graduated at 27.
 
Pharmacy is a second career for me. Had a BA and MS in biology plus a couple of years in the workforce before I went to pharmacy school. Graduated at age 34.
 
Left high school a year early. Got my bs on time. Went to pharm school after. Typing this makes me sad. I am 22.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
went to military after graduating high school. Started college at 22, applying to pharmacy school this year and I'm 25.
I should get in, 98 on PCAT, 2 years volunteering with pharmacist, and 3.7 GPA. (still waiting for pharmcas to calculate though lol)
 
Started pharmschool at 21 after doing my pre Reqs and AA from CC. Will graduate at 25. Yay.
 
I did a 4 year bachelors and majored in molecular biology, minored in chem. Took no years off and started pharm school immediately after I finished my BSc. I have a summer birthday so I graduated at 21 with my BSc and will graduate with my PharmD at 25.

2008-2012 BSc
2012-2016 PharmD
2016+ ?
 
01-03 - Community College
03-06 - Pharmacy School
07 - Sent to pharmacy school purgatory for a combination of my own stupidity and Kafkaesque nonsense
08 - Released from purgatory, graduated...a few days from 25...
 
Got a BS in Biology at 21, graduated from pharmacy school at 25, no breaks between high school and pharmacy school. Turned 26 a month after graduating 🙂 Most of my patients think i'm 22 lol