Pharmacy Chain of Command

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jill9007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Can someone help me figure out the chain of command in various settings of the pharmacy? For both a clinical staff pharmacist and a non clinical staff pharmacist? I am working on a project that recquires from the bottom up starting with a pharm clerk to the D.O.P who is involved in the pharmacy.Thanks a lot!

pharm clerk
pharm tech
staff pharm
PIC
D.O.P

and I know I am missing a lot in the middle, lol. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, for a chain, such as a supermarket, or other type of chain that contains a Pharmacy dept, the store manager also goes above the pharmacy supervisor. Whether that adds to the chain of command in this context has to be decided by the op, but in my experience, the store managers and even their superiors had significant sway in how the pharmacy division operated and could deal out hours or otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, for a chain, such as a supermarket, or other type of chain that contains a Pharmacy dept, the store manager also goes above the pharmacy supervisor. Whether that adds to the chain of command in this context has to be decided by the op, but in my experience, the store managers and even their superiors had significant sway in how the pharmacy division operated and could deal out hours or otherwise.

That's not how it was at all at the supermarket chain I worked for for a couple of years. The store managers had no say....with staffing issues or hours of operation.

thanks so much for your help. How about for clinical? Any thoughts?

Dont get confused with business side versus pharmacy side. The store manager is only above pharmacy supervisor in corporate matters such as extracard scan rates. Even then, they would have to be big time douches to barge in the pharmacy and I would have no problem bringing them back to their places.

Interns are not above pharmacy technicians. I treat them both equally. This allows an older intern to learn how to lead in the first place. Usually if they are an older intern, they have the seniority on the technician anyway.

Last edited:
Dont get confused with business side versus pharmacy side. The store manager is only above pharmacy supervisor in corporate matters such as extracard scan rates. Even then, they would have to be big time douches to barge in the pharmacy and I would have no problem bringing them back to their place.

Interns are not above pharmacy technicians. I treat them both equally. This allows an older intern to learn how to lead in the first place. Usually if they are an older intern, they have the seniority on the technician anyway.

Non ottenga confuso con il lato di affari contro il lato della farmacia. Il capo servizio magazzini è soltanto sopra il soprintendente della farmacia negli argomenti corporativi quali i tassi di esplorazione di extracard. Anche allora, dovrebbero essere douches di grande tempo per barge dentro la farmacia e non avrei problema portarlo di nuovo al loro posto.

Gli interni non sono sopra i tecnici della farmacia. Lo curo ugualmente entrambi. Ciò permette che un interno più anziano impari come condurre in primo luogo. Solitamente se sono un interno più anziano, hanno comunque l'anzianità sul tecnico.

Non-Clinical

Pharmacy Service Associate < Pharmacy Tech < Lead Pharmacy Tech < Pharmacy Intern < Staff Pharmacist < Pharmacy Manager < Pharmacy Supervisor (District)

Clinical

I dunno, fill in here WVU.

I can only speak of retail pharmacy..

In terms of management: Lead pharmacy techs are often the ones who make the schedule, and are in charge of the upkeep (& retail number games..), so I don't think there is any way they are below interns. Possibly a 4th year intern, but PII and PI's.. no. A good lead tech is way too valuable to the pharmacy than an intern who is pretty temporary to the store in terms of management.

i respect every1 in my store

however

there is no way a store manager or asst manager will tell me or my crew how to do anything...70% of the business comes from pharmacy, so those guys need to cater to us, and thats how i have it and like it