Pharmacy Clinics (CVS Minute Clinic)

Started by iknow
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

iknow

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Questions about Pharmacy Clinics

1. Has any of you ever seen any of these?
2. Is there a conflict of interest when people can get prescriptions at the pharmacy where they purchase their meds?
3. Do physicians feel threatened by this?
4. Can a nurse/PA prescribe without the supervision of a doctor?
5. Are there any privately owned pharmacies with similar clinics?
 
Questions about Pharmacy Clinics

1. Has any of you ever seen any of these?
2. Is there a conflict of interest when people can get prescriptions at the pharmacy where they purchase their meds?
3. Do physicians feel threatened by this?
4. Can a nurse/PA prescribe without the supervision of a doctor?
5. Are there any privately owned pharmacies with similar clinics?

The answer is Yes, to everything except #2. I am surprised a pharmacy student does not know/ could not find the answer on their own to any of the above questions...I think you may want to change your screen name to "idontknow"
 
Thanks smart AS*!

1. I was asking for your opinion. I can't look that up.

2. You may think there is no conflict of interest but go look at what other people have to say.
"She also accused MinuteClinic of “frank conflict of interest” when its nurses prescribe medications that can be purchased in the same store."
http://www.projo.com/news/content/MINUTE_10-25-07_HU7J5GD_v23.33e28d3.html

3. You got that one right.
4. This one is not a simple yes. A nurse cannot prescribe without a physician's supervision (a nurse practitioner can). A PA must work under the supervision of a physician (the physician must be present at least occasionally)

5. I haven't seen one. I was hoping to hear from someone who has seen/worked at one. I'm sure I can google it but that's not my point. I was asking for your personal opinion on the subject.
Never mind.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Questions about Pharmacy Clinics

1. Has any of you ever seen any of these?

Yes, i have and i have been there a few times. 10 dollars copay to get amoxicillin for sore throat.

2. Is there a conflict of interest when people can get prescriptions at the pharmacy where they purchase their meds?

I am not convinced. They will ask you which pharmacy you would like to pick up the medication. So they will give you the choices. They wont force you to buy it right there.

3. Do physicians feel threatened by this?

Only physicians can answer that questions from their perspectives.

4. Can a nurse/PA prescribe without the supervision of a doctor?

Supervision does not mean that Doctor has to be there in the facility supervising them. As long as doctors under whom they are practicing can be reached via phone, it is OK. Some states has law that those doctors should be 50 miles radius of where NP/PA are practicing.

5. Are there any privately owned pharmacies with similar clinics?

Maybe but i do not know.
 
I am an independent pharmacy owner ( 2 actually) and I started my own clinic last year and it is booming. I actually have a doctor in my clinic so it is superior to the CVS and Kroger models. Im sure all pharmacy students would like to know that Walgreens is starting similiar clinic based off of the ashville model (in asheville pharmacist did the clinical work) but walgreens is using PA and Nurses to do the clinical work. Again pharmacist get pushed to the bottom of the barrel because the chains only use us to count by fives
 
I am an independent pharmacy owner ( 2 actually) and I started my own clinic last year and it is booming. I actually have a doctor in my clinic so it is superior to the CVS and Kroger models. Im sure all pharmacy students would like to know that Walgreens is starting similiar clinic based off of the ashville model (in asheville pharmacist did the clinical work) but walgreens is using PA and Nurses to do the clinical work. Again pharmacist get pushed to the bottom of the barrel because the chains only use us to count by fives

That sounds very interesting. Did you and the doctor start the clinic together? If you don't mind, I'd like to hear more about the process and what a day at your pharmacy clinic is like.
 
That sounds very interesting. Did you and the doctor start the clinic together? If you don't mind, I'd like to hear more about the process and what a day at your pharmacy clinic is like.

It is located within one of my pharmacies, so i handle the prescription distribution side of things as well as running the bussiness. My wife, also a pharmacist, checks the patients in just like a doctors office, she goes over their current medications, does their weight, height, pmh, etc. Then the doctor see's the patient and diagnosis the problem. My wife then recommends the appropriate medication and sends it to the "regular pharmacy" side. We are seeing about 10 patients daily as of right now, being open 4 hours daily but most likely extending hours soon.
 
It is located within one of my pharmacies, so i handle the prescription distribution side of things as well as running the bussiness. My wife, also a pharmacist, checks the patients in just like a doctors office, she goes over their current medications, does their weight, height, pmh, etc. Then the doctor see's the patient and diagnosis the problem. My wife then recommends the appropriate medication and sends it to the "regular pharmacy" side. We are seeing about 10 patients daily as of right now, being open 4 hours daily but most likely extending hours soon.

Out of curiosity are you taking insurances? If so, are you working under the same NPI and billing under the same provider number? Also, I am in California and we have a huge population under the state Medi-cal system, would I have to treat the clinic as a different entity and sign up for a new provider number? I have been contemplating moving in the same direction as you, but I was wondering before I made the move to figure out if it would be considered a different entity or not. I would appreciate all your help!
 
Hi all,

Does any know what is this Central fill model stuctute that is hitting this Pharmacy chain's ...Is that some thing that dispencing drug in different store or to mailing to home address. Can any one answer
 
Questions about Pharmacy Clinics

1. Has any of you ever seen any of these?
2. Is there a conflict of interest when people can get prescriptions at the pharmacy where they purchase their meds?
3. Do physicians feel threatened by this?
4. Can a nurse/PA prescribe without the supervision of a doctor?
5. Are there any privately owned pharmacies with similar clinics?

Yes to everything, except #2.

Ever been to Kaiser or your local hospital? They just send your prescriptions to be filled downstairs at there pharmacy.

PS.....I wouldn't go to a minute clinic though. Have you seen their prices? It is quite high.