pharmacy defer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nampa1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Under what circumstances is defering acceptable? Specifically, what has been granted in the past?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You should contact your school about this. I haven't heard of deference being granted for pharm school like it is for med school, but probably possible. Each school probably has a different policy.

Under what circumstances is defering acceptable? Specifically, what has been granted in the past?

Thank you

My friend deferred her acceptance to Albany last year, so she will start this May (Albany starts earlier than Fall). I don't remember what reason she gave, but she did have a 4.0 and is brilliant so that probably helped :rolleyes:. Like the poster said above, just contact the school directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
id hate to call and realized i didnt make the criteria. i'd like to frame a response well.

at my colorado interview i think they said that you didn't need a specific reason to defer. however, if they change the requirements between the years you were accepted and the next year, you'll have to take additional classes if necessary to have the same prerequisites completed as that years accepted students

I know medical reasons are sometimes entertained. Would clinical depression or anxiety treatment by a psychologist suffice?
What about volunteer work?

I know medical reasons are sometimes entertained. Would clinical depression or anxiety treatment by a psychologist suffice?
What about volunteer work?

Wow clinical depression or anxiety treatment? I mean, obviously they may frown upon that. It doesn't show you're a stable person and perhaps you wouldn't be able to handle pharmacy school. And yes like the poster above said, are you just trying to look for a reason or do you have one :rolleyes:?

Wow clinical depression or anxiety treatment? I mean, obviously they may frown upon that. It doesn't show you're a stable person and perhaps you wouldn't be able to handle pharmacy school.

I have to disagree with you. You don't know the O/P's medical history. There could be a lot of reasons for the depression and anxiety, both of which are treatable conditions. Having them doesn't mean you aren't a stable person capable of attending a professional program, and can't ever overcome them. Just had to bring this up because it really irks me how many people have stereotypes of psychiatric illnesses and aren't informed.

Wow clinical depression or anxiety treatment? I mean, obviously they may frown upon that. It doesn't show you're a stable person and perhaps you wouldn't be able to handle pharmacy school. And yes like the poster above said, are you just trying to look for a reason or do you have one :rolleyes:?

That's probably not something a person with a clinical depression/anxiety wants to hear.+pissed+ Everybody has issues, bu that doesn't mean they are going to be incapable of handling pharm school.

You guys are right. I just meant with how competitive pharmacy admission is nowadays, it really seems you have to be the "perfect" candidate. They always ask you questions during the interview about how you deal with stress. So I'm just saying, I don't know how they will look upon the anxiety diagnosis, that's all :rolleyes:.

That's probably not something a person with a clinical depression/anxiety wants to hear.+pissed+ Everybody has issues, bu that doesn't mean they are going to be incapable of handling pharm school.

And also, I wouldn't say that to someone who really had that diagnosis. I thought he/she was just entertaining ideas for a reason for the deferral.

Thank you

here's another puzzling poster again. Do u want to do optometry or pharmacy or dentistry? I mean its ok if u apply to each bc u were scared of not getting in but why keep deferring unless i guess u want to use it as a last resort. I think it comes down to that.

i ♥ pharmacy;6539000 said:
wow, i was planning to write my personal statement based on my struggle with mental issues. i wasn't sure whether it would be a good idea though

Hi there. If it's something you've struggled with but overcame, and it's a part of who you are, then I don't see why you shouldn't include it. Just make sure you put a positive spin on it, like how it has made you a stronger person, etc.

You guys are right. I just meant with how competitive pharmacy admission is nowadays, it really seems you have to be the "perfect" candidate. They always ask you questions during the interview about how you deal with stress. So I'm just saying, I don't know how they will look upon the anxiety diagnosis, that's all :rolleyes:.

An adcom can't "look upon" it at all. People with a diagnosis of a mental illness are protected under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). Most schools have a staff of people who handle requests for accommodation under the act.

That doesn't mean that a student who requests accommodation won't be required to submit documentation of the illness and evidence of medical management. Their request for accommodation has to be reasonable as well.

However, if a student has a mental illness and it's controlled - why mention it in the interview? But disclosure isn't mandatory by any means.

Could the admission be taken away because they think I'm unstable?

why don't u call the school you applied to and find out? I don't think anyone on this forum would know the answer to that.

What does frame a response means exactly ?

If you really have been diagnosed with anxiet/clinical depression - my heart goes out to you, if you are just looking for an excuse I seriously hope you get your admission offer withdrawn.

im seeing a professional. i feel depressed for the last few months especially. think i should work with her and start in 09. however i really dont want to use my spot