Pharmacy Director path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm B

HansomWare
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what advanced training or degree would you recommend for someone pursuing a mid-sized hospital pharmacy director position? So far, the obvious options are MBA, MHA, or Certificate in Healthcare Admin. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of butt kissing and playing the corporate politics. If your good at it then it is the path for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of butt kissing and playing the corporate politics. If your good at it then it is the path for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like you've seen this done. Nothing new, it exists in all organizations.

Do a 2 year residency with MS component.

I've met a few of those, and eh... Why do a two year residency and an MS versus doing a healthcare admin degree? I don't see a benefit to taking lower pay for two years while also doing a pharmacy management MS. Why not just get to work at full pay while pursuing a management degree?

I've met a few of those, and eh... Why do a two year residency and an MS versus doing a healthcare admin degree? I don't see a benefit to taking lower pay for two years while also doing a pharmacy management MS. Why not just get to work at full pay while pursuing a management degree?

I think the benefits are as follows:
1. You get resident experience, which seems to be a requirement to work in a hospital these days
2. You get paid while doing your MS
3. Your MS is likely paid for by your residency
4. You make some critical connections during your residency that help you land that dream job

At least those are the benefits as I seem them.

why would anyone wanna be a DOP these days? Lots of stress, low pay (per hourly wise) comparing to regular PharmD, and unstable. I've been working in hospital for only 10 years (at same place) and I've seen 6 different DOPs coming and leaving.

Show your worth by decreasing costs while improving efficiency.

Volunteer to serve on any pharmacy practice committees and make appropriate recommendations to P&T for formulary decisions.

ID is the perfect way. My friend in ID saved her institution over a million dollars in 1.5 years time.

Show your worth by decreasing costs while improving efficiency.

Volunteer to serve on any pharmacy practice committees and make appropriate recommendations to P&T for formulary decisions.

ID is the perfect way. My friend in ID saved her institution over a million dollars in 1.5 years time.

:cool:
People ask me why I got a MBA and want to do ID

:cool:
People ask me why I got a MBA and want to do ID

I was thinking of doing an MBA as well.. was talking to my hospital's Assistant Director the other day and she was gung-ho about it saying she wished she had the time/resources to go back and get hers and thinks it would help out a lot. Her resident is doing her MHA and said the MBA would be really good as well. Not quite sure yet but the MHA might be a better way to go, but there isn't an integrated program yet at our school. There are too many options!

Just out of curiosity, what advanced training or degree would you recommend for someone pursuing a mid-sized hospital pharmacy director position? So far, the obvious options are MBA, MHA, or Certificate in Healthcare Admin. Thoughts?

I scrambled for this one 2 years ago. Given your peds experience, might not be too bad.

1. You get resident experience, which seems to be a requirement to work in a hospital these days
4. You make some critical connections during your residency that help you land that dream job

You will also have a stronger connection to and understanding of the clinical pharmacists working under you.

Hmm so the MS w/2 year residency would be better than doing a MHA or MBA dual degree for someone looking at administration? None of the administrative staff at my hospital have more than their PharmD, so it is hard to gauge what would look better. Here is the program at our hospital. I'm going to see about shadowing our director and maybe pick his brain a bit more when I do it.