1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Pharmacy Fraternities/Sororities

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by DHG, Aug 8, 2006.

1. DHG

DHG Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    For those of you involved in these types of organizations in Pharmacy school... are they really that different from undergrad ones? I wouldn't mind being in a 'service organization' but what are the fraternities/sororities like? Is it really just a social club? This is coming from someone who is older and did not participate in fraternities/sororities during undergrad, and therefore really has no idea what they are about.

I did see the topic in the FAQs but I wondered what people participating in them would say about them.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Caverject

15+ Year Member

Get involved in a fraternity. They are very rewarding and you will find many new connections because of the fact you decided to become a brother. Many national leaders in pharmacy are either Kappa Psi or Phi Delta Chi so it wouldn't hurt to join one of those two. My preference would be Kappa Psi. They have a fantastic chapter at UNC and do a hell of a lot for their community. You will still have to pledge just like in any other fraternity, but anything worth having is worth working for.

4. Caverject

15+ Year Member

btw- everything in pharmacy is controlled by kappa psi.....even SDN! mwahahaha :smuggrin:

5. hertford08

hertford08 New Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am a brother of Phi Delta Chi and it has been a very beneficial experience for me professionally and socially. Initially I joined for the networking potential of the organization and PDC has provided me with many opportunities to meet pharmacists and student pharmacists from across the country. My chapter is pretty social in addition to the professional service projects, so it is quite a time commitment but it is definitely a lot of fun.

6. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Personally, I never wanted to join any group. I had to stare at the same 80 people every day for 3 years, I'll be damned if I waste one second of free time with them. It's nothing personal, I just associate them with school, and, thus, misery. Kinda like Alex and Beethoven in A Clockwork Orange.

Then again, most people buy way more into the whole "college experience" thing than me, so to each his own.

7. TomAndHuck

TomAndHuck Junior Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Can anyone tell me why these organizations are still called fraternities? Women make up approximately 65% of pharmacy students these days - why do we refer to ourselves as a "brotherhood"? (I realize that historically most students have been men, but that changed several years ago and the "fraternity" label has stayed the same.) :confused:

8. Caverject

15+ Year Member

because that is what we are, fraternities.

Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity, Inc.
    Phi Delta Chi Professional Pharmacy Fraternity
    Lambda Kappa Sigma International Professional Pharmacy Fraternity
    Kappa Epsilon Professional Pharmacy Fraternity
    Alpha Zeta Omega Pharmaceutical Fraternity

the definition of brotherhood: Human beings, in common with all other entities in the universe, are inseparable members of a spiritual unity

what would you like it to be called? A Co-Ed'hood?

9. Requiem

Requiem Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Because at 4am, while listening to roars of chanting and witnessing inhuman acts of beer funneling, you'll find men.

Sisterhood sounds weak - get your pansy ass suggestions out of this forum.

10. kvl1027

kvl1027 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Is there any room in Pharm Frats for married students with children?

11. njac

njac Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    we have folks of all persuasions in kappa psi here. I was totally anti everything greek in undergrad. I went to a school where the greek thing was ridiculously overdone. but I love kappa psi. sure we do our share of 4am beer funneling but there are also test banks and community service projects...

and free beer and test banks.

12. DHG

DHG Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    That is good to know. I was VERY anti-frat/sorority during undergrad. Probably because we had social clubs in highschool... Key Club/Keyettes, and Optimist/Optimiss... By "invitation" only. I was a Keyette. Untill I got fed up with the "cliquiness" and just quit participating. Stopped going to meetings and what not. I was probably the only person in history to have gotten "kicked out" of the Keyettes :laugh: Well I still had an active social life in high school, played sports, etc. But was so turned off by the sorority experience that I didn't want to go there during undergrad.

Now I'm 29 and enough time has passed that I feel pretty neutral about fraternities/sororities in general. Since I had no experience with this in college I wanted to know (as someone asked earlier) if older people or married people were able to participate as well... I mean this IS grad school, right?? Because I do want to meet people and do some service work. So is this enough reason to be involved in a fraternity/sorority?

Thanks for the input.

13. Caverject

15+ Year Member

As long as you're willing to put in your time, of course there is!

14. All4MyDaughter

All4MyDaughter SDN Mommystrator
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist

How much time is involved?

15. Caverject

15+ Year Member

It all depends on the chapter and fraternity you get involved with

16. josh6718

josh6718 Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Did you join as an undergrad or grad?

17. ButlerPharm.D.

ButlerPharm.D. Honor Before Glory
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    In case we haven't established it yet, Kappa Psi ROCKS!!! Like someone has already said, the time commitment varies based on the chapter. At Butler we have bi-weekly meetings that are approx. 1 hour long (2 hours if you are on Exec.). There maybe addition time commitments during times we have philanthropic or other events planned but otherwise the time commitment isn't bad.