Pharmacy intern compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pintobeans

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
Can someone tell me what is the average wage for a pharmacy intern? Also can you start working in your first year or you have to complete the first year in order to get your license?

Thanks,

PB

Members don't see this ad.

Pintobeans said:
Hi
Can someone tell me what is the average wage for a pharmacy intern? Also can you start working in your first year or you have to complete the first year in order to get your license?

Thanks,

PB

It all depends on your state.
I just got a job at Wal-mart as a Pharmacy Corporate Intern, and my starting rate is $20.00/hour. I just told them I got accepted to a pharmacy school.

You'll find below a link to the requirements by state.
http://rapidshare.de/files/19884687/LECOM_-_Internship_requirements_by_state.pdf.html

juliarx said:
I just got a job at Wal-mart as a Pharmacy Corporate Intern, and my starting rate is $20.00/hour. I just told them I got accepted to a pharmacy school.

http://rapidshare.de/files/19884687/LECOM_-_Internship_requirements_by_state.pdf.html
Where are you working for $20/hr w/ Wal-mart? I was a corporate intern for $13/hr last year and will be making $14/hr this summer. After speaking with other interns it seems that the pay was standard nationwide. So I'm quite curious

Members don't see this ad :)
Trancelucent1 said:
Where are you working for $20/hr w/ Wal-mart? I was a corporate intern for $13/hr last year and will be making $14/hr this summer. After speaking with other interns it seems that the pay was standard nationwide. So I'm quite curious

Yeah, $20 is insane. Juliarx, do you work in Bentonville? And I thought you couldn't do a Wal-Mart internship until you've completed your 1st year. I made $13 last summer too and it'll probably be $14 this summer although I haven't heard anything yet. At first, my DM tried to jip me by offering me $11 but then I started talking to other interns. :smuggrin:

Trancelucent1 said:

I work at Erie, PA, but I worked at walmart as a cashier before, then switched to the pharmacy department last week.
I didn't know the pay rate could be that low... my store manager told me the average rate is $15-20/hr for a pharmacy corporate intern. I told him that I really need money because I have to move down to Florida in July.

juliarx said:

wow, that sounds pretty good! You didn't have to get a license before you start working?
Since I'm in the Bay Area, CA I'm curious to know the payrate here and if it's mandatory to obtain the license before start working.

Thanks for your response!

nguyenkd said:
Yeah, $20 is insane. Juliarx, do you work in Bentonville? And I thought you couldn't do a Wal-Mart internship until you've completed your 1st year. I made $13 last summer too and it'll probably be $14 this summer although I haven't heard anything yet. At first, my DM tried to jip me by offering me $11 but then I started talking to other interns. :smuggrin:
It's my understanding that in order to be a corporate intern that you must have completed your first year of pharmacy school (that's because you are required to have an intern license). That info was staight from my DM who has been involved with the intern program for 5 or 6 years. In the state of Florida you do not get an intern license until you start pharmacy school (we got it around September/October). Maybe the requirements are different in PA.

Also $14/hr isn't low for Florida. Wal-mart and Albertson's are the two intern programs that pay the most. CVS wanted to pay me $10/hr and Walgreens was around $12/hr. So Wal-mart is actually one of the highest paying intern programs in Florida. I know that in CA they can make up to $20/hr at retail stores but I still though Wal-mart paid the same.

Wal-Mart is one of the lowest paying chains here in Houston, TX. I know Walgreens starts you off at $15. I don't really mind because I've been with Wal-Mart for 3 years and I like them. I also like getting an extra $1/hr on Sundays and paid holidays!

Pintobeans said:
wow, that sounds pretty good! You didn't have to get a license before you start working?
Since I'm in the Bay Area, CA I'm curious to know the payrate here and if it's mandatory to obtain the license before start working.

Thanks for your response!

In CA, it's mandatory to get your intern license before you start working as an intern pharmacist. I'm in SoCal, and I'm not sure how much the rates differ down here, but for your first year, it's anywhere from 15.75/hr and up (depending if you're working retail or in a hospital). In retail, at least at Savon, right now, the rate increases $1 every year you're in school.

You'll mostly likely get your license application once you start school, unless your school has a different procedure. I'm sure your school will provide it to you, since the dean has to sign it to consent that you are actually a student.

I am surprised by how much intern rates vary. Another thread on here talking about pay in Kentucky listed something like $11 an hour. I intern in Phoenix, walgreens, and my 2nd year pay is $18. The first year rates were $15, and third year will be $21. Fourth year pay would be.... who knows? I go to a three year program and didn't ask. They have to have one though because they do get interns from UA which is a four year program. Do any UA students out there know if fourth year pay is another $3?

Jeddevil said:
I am surprised by how much intern rates vary. Another thread on here talking about pay in Kentucky listed something like $11 an hour. I intern in Phoenix, walgreens, and my 2nd year pay is $18. The first year rates were $15, and third year will be $21. Fourth year pay would be.... who knows? I go to a three year program and didn't ask. They have to have one though because they do get interns from UA which is a four year program. Do any UA students out there know if fourth year pay is another $3?

From WAG's perspective, our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years are analagous to UA's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years. ....not sure what they pay UA 1st years.

I'm relatively certain that the payscale is the same for Wal-Mart nationwide. For store level interns... $13 for P2, $14 for P3, $ 15 for P4. You technically can start an internship for Wal-Mart before you start pharm school, but I've never seen that.

To be eligible for a corporate internship, you would have to complete a normal store level internship for one summer. After that you can apply to be a corporate intern in Bentonville.

Members don't see this ad :)
any idea abt working as an intern at an independent pharmacy,,,

i asked a few people and they said thay as per their knowledge pharmacy interns at a private or independent pharmacy get paid aroud 25$ per hr..

can any one shed some more light on this issue

i asked a few people and they said thay as per their knowledge pharmacy interns at a private or independent pharmacy get paid aroud 25$ per hr..

Ok, you resurrected this thread from the dead cesspools of the past but...

As a graduate intern, maybe.
As an intern working nights, or in a weird area, maybe.

But as a normal 9-5 intern that is honestly outrageous and I highly doubt it short of extenuating circumstances (i.e. sleeping with the owner or something odd). Most of the independent pharmacy pay I've seen is similar to retail.

20-25 dollars is definitely out of the norm and extremely high, unless you are a graduate pharmacist intern. To put it into perspective, 20 dollars an hour = 41,600 year for a 40 hour week, more than what most graduates are making in other majors. 25 dollars equal to 52k yearly for a 40 hour week. I am considered a 5th year by cvs and they are paying me 16 dollars (1.50) over the average of what all my friends and co workers of the same year is getting in every district. Hospital interns my year is averaging 17-18 dollars.

bottom line.. it is a good idea to work during pharmacy school.......

i am going to go to USN for this fall for my 3 yr pharm D program and i allready have a bachelors degree in pharamaceutical sciences....

Do u think i can work like 15-20 hrs a week to get some money in my pocket for my living expenses.....

bottom question.. do i think its a good idea working while u are in pharm scholl for extra pay i am going to usn this fall for my pharm D 3 yrs and am thinking of working like 15-20 hrs a week to get some money in my pockets to cover rent and other expenses.....

please do reply

25 is very high, Kaisers in my area start their P1s around 24-25 but I think that is one of the highest starting pharmacy intern wages out there.

Idesiretosling, how was Daft Punk concert? I love many of their songs, they're great to bboy to. My fav is Aerodynamic remix.

Idesiretosling, how was Daft Punk concert? I love many of their songs, they're great to bboy to. My fav is Aerodynamic remix.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Fuud8aUT4

Check it out....

It was an awesome show, it is a different kind of concert experience than most but still amazing. I would put it in top 10 concerts I have been to for sure.

bottom question.. do i think its a good idea working while u are in pharm scholl for extra pay i am going to usn this fall for my pharm D 3 yrs and am thinking of working like 15-20 hrs a week to get some money in my pockets to cover rent and other expenses.....

please do reply

shud i work or not

Mods--can You Please Merge All These Intern Pay Rate Threads??? Recently, There Have Been Quite A Few Sprouting. Clutter Clutter.

Thanks.:)

What is the average wage for a pharmacy intern in a teaching hospital?

shud i work or not

Excuse me, Mister My-Question-Is-So-Important-I-Have-To-Ask-On-Every-Thread, but nobody can answer this for you. Did you ever think that the reason you're not getting an answer is because nobody knows your situation, therefore nobody can tell you if it's right for you to work or not? Nobody here knows (or cares about) your financial situation, nobody here knows (or cares about) your academic ability, nobody here knows (or cares about) your own personal need for interaction with others outside academia, etc, etc.

You need to figure out for yourself if you should work or not. That's like asking us which way you should get your hair cut, or which curtains you should hang in your kitchen. You HAVE gotten several answers from people who have chosen to work or not work, and they've told you how their choice has impacted their lives/schoolwork, but you've got your question so scattered all over this forum that you probably haveen't read the responses yet.

You HAVE gotten several answers from people who have chosen to work or not work, and they've told you how their choice has impacted their lives/schoolwork, but you've got your question so scattered all over this forum that you probably haveen't read the responses yet.
LOL, that's so what I was thinking. He/she probably forgot where he/she posted the question.

i know its kinda vague but as u said i was hoping to get some feedback of people who worked dyuring pharm school and how it affected their grades etc etc whch i didnt . so if any one can post info on that it will be helpful..

abt my financial situation i have taken the federal loan for tutiin and currently decided that i will pay my living expenses by myself by workinf like 15-20 hrs per week on week ends of after school..

i know its kinda vague but as u said i was hoping to get some feedback of people who worked dyuring pharm school and how it affected their grades etc etc whch i didnt . so if any one can post info on that it will be helpful..

abt my financial situation i have taken the federal loan for tutiin and currently decided that i will pay my living expenses by myself by workinf like 15-20 hrs per week on week ends of after school..

yes, work like 50 hrs per week. Dont worry about your grades...go out and party everynight...

is this really a question? Only you can determine whether you should work or not. Only you know what you are capable of. I worked like 4 hrs per week during the 2nd profressional year. That year sucked...Just do what you think you can do cause noone here can answer that for you.

k thanks for every thing bye.. will get back to this thread after u start off

Does this link work for anyone? I'm quite curious.
<<http://rapidshare.de/files/19884687/...state.pdf.html>>

I work at Erie, PA, but I worked at walmart as a cashier before, then switched to the pharmacy department last week.
I didn't know the pay rate could be that low... my store manager told me the average rate is $15-20/hr for a pharmacy corporate intern. I told him that I really need money because I have to move down to Florida in July.

Really, I was thinking about asking for like $13/hr... guess I might have to bump that up to like $15 or so. Apparently, I'm competing against 40 other people for a Wal-Mart slot...

It's my understanding that in order to be a corporate intern that you must have completed your first year of pharmacy school (that's because you are required to have an intern license). That info was staight from my DM who has been involved with the intern program for 5 or 6 years. In the state of Florida you do not get an intern license until you start pharmacy school (we got it around September/October). Maybe the requirements are different in PA.

Also $14/hr isn't low for Florida. Wal-mart and Albertson's are the two intern programs that pay the most. CVS wanted to pay me $10/hr and Walgreens was around $12/hr. So Wal-mart is actually one of the highest paying intern programs in Florida. I know that in CA they can make up to $20/hr at retail stores but I still though Wal-mart paid the same.

Actually, that varies from state to state. I know PA, you can have your intern license as soon as you matriculate in a pharmacy school. I have my intern license even though I haven't officially started school yet.

Actually, that varies from state to state. I know PA, you can have your intern license as soon as you matriculate in a pharmacy school. I have my intern license even though I haven't officially started school yet.

Make sure you refer to the date the posts you are quoting were made... This thread is very old...

I'm a 2nd year and I make 21/hr at Walmart in Tucson, Arizona. I also worked at Fry's pharmacy (Kroger) and made 18/hr as a first year and 20/hr as a second year before I moved to Wal-Mart.

This thread is becoming a little epic. 5 years and still going strong....

I guess I'll chip in. I work for WAG in Indiana, P1 - $13/hr.

P4. Safeway- 19.50

Dead thread alive!

p1- 12/hr

I have an interview with CVS...i dont know how much they are offering yet but my friend was a P1 with them 4 years ago and was making $11.50.

This thread will outlive the profession of pharmacy.

P1, hospital inpatient, southeast, $11.50 / hr (+1.50 weekend differential).

Depends on state, company, and what year of pharmacy school you are in. However, since you are a intern, its not like you are going to get paid slave wages for long.

I work as a CPhT in Washington State. Hospital pay is $18.50/hour for techs, and I am expecting to ask for $25 when I receive my intern license. I am not sure if I will get that when I move to AZ, but I expect to at least find a job (even if it is a tech shift) PRN at a hospital for at least $15. I would prefer $25/hour 10's or 12's every other sat and sun (ideal shift) but I will take what I can get.

I work as a CPhT in Washington State. Hospital pay is $18.50/hour for techs, and I am expecting to ask for $25 when I receive my intern license. I am not sure if I will get that when I move to AZ, but I expect to at least find a job (even if it is a tech shift) PRN at a hospital for at least $15. I would prefer $25/hour 10's or 12's every other sat and sun (ideal shift) but I will take what I can get.
Who wouldn't? I got 25/hr as an intern working at an independent when I was in pharmacy school, but was under the impression that this was extremely rare and no one else in my class was getting that rate.

Dam this is an old thread. I think I am going to try to find old threads and resurrect them.

There needs to be a time limit on resurrecting old threads, as this is quite riduculous. Mods... Thoughts?

Seems just as relevant now as it did six years ago. :shrug:

Plus I like when people add to threads rather than starting new ones. No need to start from scratch with every topic.:)

I worked for rite aid in CA as a tech and got paid 18/HR. Moving to NY this summer for pharm school and I was hoping to be paid much more!!