Pharmacy Intern Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Digsbe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an Early Decision applicant for a pharmacy school and I have some questions regarding pharmacy internships.

Is it possible to obtain an internship license once you are accepted to a pharmacy school? Or would I have to wait until I am white coated and classes begin in 2012? If the latter is true, can you work as a technician but have the pharmacy manager file the paperwork necessary to consider your tech hours as pharmacy experience hours with my pharmacy school?

I have a pharmacy technicians license and I am HIPAA certified. To obtain an intern license would I need to undergo HIPAA certification again? I live in Tennessee and my top school I am applying to during the ED cycle is in Tennessee. If anyone has knowledge about interning in Tennessee or other states it would be much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Above is correct you are considered an intern once you have letter of acceptance. Check your local laws!

I am currently an Early Decision applicant for a pharmacy school and I have some questions regarding pharmacy internships.

Is it possible to obtain an internship license once you are accepted to a pharmacy school? Or would I have to wait until I am white coated and classes begin in 2012? If the latter is true, can you work as a technician but have the pharmacy manager file the paperwork necessary to consider your tech hours as pharmacy experience hours with my pharmacy school?

I have a pharmacy technicians license and I am HIPAA certified. To obtain an intern license would I need to undergo HIPAA certification again? I live in Tennessee and my top school I am applying to during the ED cycle is in Tennessee. If anyone has knowledge about interning in Tennessee or other states it would be much appreciated :)

See this: http://health.state.tn.us/Downloads/Pharm_Interns.pdf