Pharmacy job outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharmacy studen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am almost done with pre-pharmacy coursework but i am kinda hesitant to apply to pharmacy school. I am currently working in a retail pharmacy where the pharmacist told me that by the time i graduate there won't be any job, because her husband just graduated from pharmacy school and could not find a job. so i am very scared. one of the reason i chose pharmacy is because i thought that i will get a job right after graduating. I don't want to spend all the money in college and then end up broke as a joke with no job. I am thinking about going for physician assistant. does anyone know if the jobs for pa will continue to grow??. Also, changing my major when i am very close to applying to pharmacy school is a wise decision? PLEASE HELP!!

Also i did my own research and lot of people are saying there are lot of new pharmacy school and many people going for pharmacy so it is possible that in the future we will have pharmacist surplus.

Members don't see this ad.

I am almost done with pre-pharmacy coursework but i am kinda hesitant to apply to pharmacy school. I am currently working in a retail pharmacy where the pharmacist told me that by the time i graduate there won't be any job, because her husband just graduated from pharmacy school and could not find a job. so i am very scared. one of the reason i chose pharmacy is because i thought that i will get a job right after graduating. I don't want to spend all the money in college and then end up broke as a joke with no job. I am thinking about going for physician assistant. does anyone know if the jobs for pa will continue to grow??. Also, changing my major when i am very close to applying to pharmacy school is a wise decision? PLEASE HELP!!

Also i did my own research and lot of people are saying there are lot of new pharmacy school and many people going for pharmacy so it is possible that in the future we will have pharmacist surplus.

According to this:

http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/author/authorInfo.jsp?id=55362

the pharmacist job market is bad. :eek:

If you think you can get a job right after graduation then I dont recommend you to go for pharmacy school. But if you have a desire to become a pharmacist no matter what it takes, then go for it. The job market has been saturated in most areas since 2009 and it continues to get worse with a massive of new graduates every year.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, I know for a fact that the PA market will continue to grow and grow unchecked.

OK, seriously - no one knows what the future will hold. Don't go into pharmacy thinking it will be a gravy train. The market is likely to get much worse before it gets better. FWIW, I think the PA field is a fanastic one, I have meat many very good PA's and they seem positive about their profession. Why not shadow both and see which you prefer?

Someone that I know just got a retail job 2 months after getting her license...106k-not too bad.

lol if the job market is bad then why you doing pharmacy?:smuggrin: your status says your pre-pharmacy as well.
Some people really want to be pharmacists, in spite of a bad job market. Don't be fooled, things aren't good right now. Hopefully they turn around, but we won't really know the future until it gets here.

If you're looking for a guaranteed job, look elsewhere because things are getting tough. If you really want to be a pharmacist and are willing to deal with a potentially soft job market, go for it.

Everytime I see these threads I get stomach aches.

I'm in the middle of a career change and too old to be unemployed after 4 years of study.

Everytime I see these threads I get stomach aches.

I'm in the middle of a career change and too old to be unemployed after 4 years of study.
Think of it this way, if it helps you: you could be unemployed in four years whether you go back to school or not. Would you rather be looking for a job as a pharmacist, or looking for a job doing what you're currently doing? It is good to be aware that things don't look good right now, but don't worry yourself sick. That doesn't help anything.

Some people really want to be pharmacists, in spite of a bad job market. Don't be fooled, things aren't good right now. Hopefully they turn around, but we won't really know the future until it gets here.

If you're looking for a guaranteed job, look elsewhere because things are getting tough. If you really want to be a pharmacist and are willing to deal with a potentially soft job market, go for it.
well i think its too late for me to change. I am almost done with all my pre-pharmacy requirement and now planning on getting my bachelors in bio. Also, i told my family about the job market for pharmacist. they wouldn't agree. they still want me to go for pharmacy. I am willing to move out of state for job. one of the biggest reason i chose pharmacy is because i thought there is a shortage of pharmacist and i'll get a job right away. but i never thought it will get this bad. I want a job in health-care field where i can make good money, help people, be my own boss.

hopefully, i will graduate from pharmacy school in 2017. Do you think the job market will still be bad?

You guys are all so lazy and whiny... 1st, you shouldnt be in an industry that helps and serves people unless you care more about the profession then the money. 2nd...Get out and network! That means reach out to others. I really shouldnt have to tell you this but I assume many have been babied by parents in undergrad and all they know is how to study and not how to interact in professional settings.. The job market is always what you make of it. If you network, even with some people that you dont know by simply asking for informational interviews and picking peoples brains, you will be shocked at how the world opens up to you. Always think on how you can add value to the world! Pharmacy is a love not a job. If it is anything else to some, I suggest not attending and picking up accounting.. Its really not that hard and you make good money

well i think its too late for me to change. I am almost done with all my pre-pharmacy requirement and now planning on getting my bachelors in bio. Also, i told my family about the job market for pharmacist. they wouldn't agree. they still want me to go for pharmacy. I am willing to move out of state for job. one of the biggest reason i chose pharmacy is because i thought there is a shortage of pharmacist and i'll get a job right away. but i never thought it will get this bad. I want a job in health-care field where i can make good money, help people, be my own boss.

hopefully, i will graduate from pharmacy school in 2017. Do you think the job market will still be bad?
1. It is *never* too late to change anything.

2. This is your decision, not your mom and dad's. They aren't the ones who will be working in a pharmacy for the next 40-some years.

3. I really have no idea what the job market will look like in 2017, and anybody who tells you they know for sure is full of it.

4. We can look at our current data and we know a few things:

-More pharmacy schools continue to open and produce more graduates.

-In poor economic times, more people want to go to school or further their education because the opportunity cost is lower (that would be now).

-Pharmacy is becoming more streamlined and needs fewer workers for the same tasks than it needed five to ten years ago.

-The baby boomers constitute a large chunk of the population, and despite their best efforts, they are getting older and will probably need more care/meds.

-There is a push for socialized medicine. This could be a boom or a bust, depending on your views.

-Pharmacists are trying to push for more patient involvement, but so far reimbursements from insurance aren't what they would need to be to expand the profession into a role like this (at least for most pharmacists).

-Pharmacists seem to retire later and later in life, leaving fewer job openings than expected for new grads.

Overall, there are trends pointing down as well as trends pointing up. But there is no shortage currently, and I wouldn't go to pharmacy school expecting another to pop up in the near future.

Pharmschooler....1-4 totally agree. Major issue with this board is matuarity and wanting things to be given to them....DO I see a similar theme with America??? I DO!!!!!-

-In poor economic times, more people want to go to school or further their education because the opportunity cost is lower (that would be now).
agreed
-Pharmacy is becoming more streamlined and needs fewer workers for the same tasks than it needed five to ten years ago.
agreed...this is good and will allow pharmacists to be paid more.. There will be less need for techs and perhaps a machine to do the filling...The pharmacist will run the place and may be the only employee with same revenue if not higher... salary up!
-The baby boomers constitute a large chunk of the population, and despite their best efforts, they are getting older and will probably need more care/meds.
Big agree. This will lead to more and more boutique pharmacies open thus creating more needs for pharmacists...
-There is a push for socialized medicine. This could be a boom or a bust, depending on your views.
This will never happen in the US and my guess in the next 5 years is that it will begin to evaporate in countries around the world. Bankers have countries by the you know whats and are demanding they be repaid which will continue to lead to social cuts (hello greece! im looking at you too portugal, italy and spain!) Socialized medicine is actually good for many in the medical field for pay, but bad for well being..Everything becomes very automated and you will lose some personal relationships...However, like I said this will never ever happen unless there is a revolution.
-Pharmacists are trying to push for more patient involvement, but so far reimbursements from insurance aren't what they would need to be to expand the profession into a role like this (at least for most pharmacists).
You never win with big pharma! Never... Ifpharmacists are going to want more involvement, it will have to be without the added reimburesements.

-Pharmacists seem to retire later and later in life, leaving fewer job openings than expected for new grads.
This may be because so many love what they do! Not to mention retirment portfolios were taken out by bad investing, high cost of kids tuition, and social security going to be cut in the next 5 years..

Overall, there are trends pointing down as well as trends pointing up. But there is no shortage currently, and I wouldn't go to pharmacy school expecting another to pop up in the near future.[/QUOTE]
As you probably agree, med school and pharm school is for those who wish to make a difference and serve. Because of this, those that truely love and believe in the cause will use that passion to network and find jobs. Jobs are there to be had...Go find them guys...Use that passion..FOr those who just are doing pharmacy bc their parents told them to be in medical fields and study study study... I am sorry as you will hate your life, your job, and probably have the hardest time of success. Overall an outlook on the economy is grim throughout the world...The euro will crumble in 5 years which will allow for some appreciation in the dollar, but then china will come calling and we may have a default overselves causing significant financial and job harm. There will be more demand then ever for medicine with BB's but less money. Are you there to help or are you there to collect a paycheck. I hope you are there to serve and love as this will lead you to moving up in the field as well as excelling in everyday activities

Members don't see this ad :)

this has alot to do with them making more money now than they ever did before in their carrer and not wanting to leave that behind, it seems like now they will just drop dead behind the counter rather than retire :eek:

Think of it this way, if it helps you: you could be unemployed in four years whether you go back to school or not. Would you rather be looking for a job as a pharmacist, or looking for a job doing what you're currently doing? It is good to be aware that things don't look good right now, but don't worry yourself sick. That doesn't help anything.

Wow thats a pretty insightful way of looking at it. Thank you for that and you're absolutely right. I try not to worry about it too much but since I'm still doing prereqs and everything I read here is the sky is falling it does creep doubt into my mind and then I start looking at other fields in health care. I always come back to pharm though based on what fits best my circumstances.

I try to say to myself that the economy is bad and it won't be bad forever so hopefully by the time I graduate (knock on wood) the economy will be booming.

Shouldn't baby boomers start retiring this year? Baby boomer years are 1946 to 1964. The full retirement age is 65 for social security. So 2011 would be the retirement year for baby boomers born in 1946. I'm sure baby boomers that had earlier retirement ages with their jobs are already retiring.

I guess we'll see in the near future if more pharmacy jobs are actually added or will chains just push for more productivity w/o hiring.

Shouldn't baby boomers start retiring this year? Baby boomer years are 1946 to 1964. The full retirement age is 65 for social security. So 2011 would be the retirement year for baby boomers born in 1946. I'm sure baby boomers that had earlier retirement ages with their jobs are already retiring.

I guess we'll see in the near future if more pharmacy jobs are actually added or will chains just push for more productivity w/o hiring.
Should and will are two different things. I know at least one pharmacist who began collecting retirement benefits from one hospital job who works full-time for another hospital now. I can't imagine they're the only one.

Personally, I think a lot of pharmacists work far past the retirement age because it's not a terribly taxing job on the body, the pay is decent, and they probably still really enjoy what they do. I've read that people who work longer tend to ward off dementia, so it's probably good for them on a personal level.

Should and will are two different things. I know at least one pharmacist who began collecting retirement benefits from one hospital job who works full-time for another hospital now. I can't imagine they're the only one.

Personally, I think a lot of pharmacists work far past the retirement age because it's not a terribly taxing job on the body, the pay is decent, and they probably still really enjoy what they do. I've read that people who work longer tend to ward off dementia, so it's probably good for them on a personal level.

True story. While there are likely many people who are counting down the days until retirement, there are just as many who are planning to work well beyond retirement ... Especially if they have a job that is "not a terribly taxing job on the body, the pay is decent, and they probably still really enjoy what they do." Counting on retirement to open up the job market is a dangerous road for one to hoe.

True story. While there are likely many people who are counting down the days until retirement, there are just as many who are planning to work well beyond retirement ... Especially if they have a job that is "not a terribly taxing job on the body, the pay is decent, and they probably still really enjoy what they do." Counting on retirement to open up the job market is a dangerous road for one to hoe.

Very true. Not to mention that there are alot of people that love interacting with people on a daly basis and wouldnt want to give those relationships up. Moreover, they may feel an albit small but somewhat pull to continue to serve those relationships as people begin to have more of a need for medicines and who better to provide it then from someone they trust and not some random person who is hard to understand fresh out of pharm school

To those who could not find jobs after pharmacy school or at least not for a few months afterwards.... Was that because you were only looking in your general area and not willing to relocate to anywhere in the country? I just ask because I am wondering if it will be easier for someone like me who is willing to relocate to wherever in order to get a job.

You guys are all so lazy and whiny... 1st, you shouldnt be in an industry that helps and serves people unless you care more about the profession then the money. 2nd...Get out and network! That means reach out to others. I really shouldnt have to tell you this but I assume many have been babied by parents in undergrad and all they know is how to study and not how to interact in professional settings.. The job market is always what you make of it. If you network, even with some people that you dont know by simply asking for informational interviews and picking peoples brains, you will be shocked at how the world opens up to you. Always think on how you can add value to the world! Pharmacy is a love not a job. If it is anything else to some, I suggest not attending and picking up accounting.. Its really not that hard and you make good money

Well like i said i do love helping people, and i know what pharmacy profession is all about. Also, i did mention that i am currently working as a pharmacy tech so obviously I do know "how to interact in the profession setting. And fyi my cultural background is totally different, i am more of family oriented than money oriented. I am not from wealthy family where i can major in what i "like", i have to chose a profession which is in demand. I did all my research before starting pre-pharmacy program (2008), that is when they had the shortage for pharmacist.

To those who could not find jobs after pharmacy school or at least not for a few months afterwards.... Was that because you were only looking in your general area and not willing to relocate to anywhere in the country? I just ask because I am wondering if it will be easier for someone like me who is willing to relocate to wherever in order to get a job.

If you're flexible (semper gumby!) you'll find a job no problem.

Well like i said i do love helping people, and i know what pharmacy profession is all about. Also, i did mention that i am currently working as a pharmacy tech so obviously I do know "how to interact in the profession setting. And fyi my cultural background is totally different, i am more of family oriented than money oriented. I am not from wealthy family where i can major in what i "like", i have to chose a profession which is in demand. I did all my research before starting pre-pharmacy program (2008), that is when they had the shortage for pharmacist.

Yes pharmacy is definetely about service. I was a intern at a healthcare investment bank last summer and from there I was really able to see that I love pharmacy and the need for personal interactions.. Accounting btw is definetely not a "I like" major. There are several in demand professions but those are often very cyclical. Like IT department (outsourced to your home country in 5 years), oil engineer in North Dakota (will be gone in 5 years), it is important to pick something that will always meet demand and avoid outsourcing. Always think on how you can add value. I would stick with the love for pharmacy arguement then the close to family over money arguement. It appears to be hypocritical when saying you need in demand so you pick one of the top (although oil engineer is more) grossing professions. Good luck in your quest. Keep doing research! Talk to your pharmacist where your a tech at and ask them to discuss their life progressions. As someone who seems to value family, ull see that the older ones have the most insight

There are several in demand professions but those are often very cyclical. Like IT department (outsourced to your home country in 5 years),

hahahaha how do you know where i am from? :rolleyes: well thanks for all your help!! i really appreciate it.. :)

If you're flexible (semper gumby!) you'll find a job no problem.

Thanks for the response!

I really want to go back into the military after pharmacy school, but the wife is a bit reluctant with that idea. She said multiple tours in Iraq was enough for her to handle. :laugh:

Thanks for the response!

I really want to go back into the military after pharmacy school, but the wife is a bit reluctant with that idea. She said multiple tours in Iraq was enough for her to handle. :laugh:

Can't blame her. If I so much as I mentioned thinking about re-enlisting my wife would crucify me.

I do wonder how, even on an O-3 or O-4 salary, you'd make your monthly payments on the loans. I don't think SLRP counts for professional programs although I could be wrong.

Can't blame her. If I so much as I mentioned thinking about re-enlisting my wife would crucify me.

I do wonder how, even on an O-3 or O-4 salary, you'd make your monthly payments on the loans. I don't think SLRP counts for professional programs although I could be wrong.

With the professional bonus and bah, you are looking at around 100k if I remember correctly.

Plus, if you use the new post 9/11 gi bill correctly, you should not come out with the high loan amounts being thrown around on here.

There will be jobs when you graduate but it will be a lot more competitive. So you have to be prepared and work hard. Nobody wants to borrow 200 k and can't find a job. That is the risk I am taking.

It is, at least for now. The problem is that there are lots of areas with people who have to relocate to one of a few areas. Those few places can only support all of us for so long. The number of new schools opening isn't slowing down, so things are going to be very bad before long.

I am SO confused. Everybody here is saying that the job outlook is horrible for pharmacists in the future. However, most news articles I've read say that the number of jobs for pharmacy is supposed to grow more than almost any other career.

I am SO confused. Everybody here is saying that the job outlook is horrible for pharmacists in the future. However, most news articles I've read say that the number of jobs for pharmacy is supposed to grow more than almost any other career.

The view from the inside is different from the view on the outside. After several years and 100k+ in loans, it's easy to think the job market is too rough or to be afraid about finding a job.

Also, who cares about facts when you have anecdotal evidence?

It's most likely outdated. Obviously studies you read NOW will be from a few years ago. From 2000 to 2005 Pharmacy was a hot career and you most likely read stuff from those dates. If someone was to publish something from 2011 it would be bad news.

It's most likely outdated. Obviously studies you read NOW will be from a few years ago. From 2000 to 2005 Pharmacy was a hot career and you most likely read stuff from those dates. If someone was to publish something from 2011 it would be bad news.

Well, actually the article was written on December 19, 2009 (maybe that's considered old too, I don't know D:) Anyways, it predicted that the employment of pharmacists is expected to grow by 17 percent between 2008 and 2018. Not real sure what to think.

Well, actually the article was written on December 19, 2009 (maybe that's considered old too, I don't know D:) Anyways, it predicted that the employment of pharmacists is expected to grow by 17 percent between 2008 and 2018. Not real sure what to think.

That's outdated too. In 2009 there were much fewer pharmacy schools opened. Every year many many many more schools are popping up. The studies don't take that into consideration. If there were only 50 pharmacy schools and NO schools are ever allow to open up ever again..then the studies would be right b/c they base the predictions on the NUMBER of pharmacy schools and the amount of people graduating every year. If the number of pharmacy schools never change then the predications would be right...but the numbers keep on increasing (and very fast!) and those predications don't take that into account...so they are not accurate.

That's outdated too. In 2009 there were much fewer pharmacy schools opened. Every year many many many more schools are popping up. The studies don't take that into consideration. If there were only 50 pharmacy schools and NO schools are ever allow to open up ever again..then the studies would be right b/c they base the predictions on the NUMBER of pharmacy schools and the amount of people graduating every year. If the number of pharmacy schools never change then the predications would be right...but the numbers keep on increasing (and very fast!) and those predications don't take that into account...so they are not accurate.

Ohhh I see what you mean now. So there will still be an increase of jobs, but an oversupply of people graduating from the increased number of pharmacy schools opening, making it more competitive. Well, how does the job outlook for pharmacists in the next 10 years compare to that of an engineer or doctor?

Ohhh I see what you mean now. So there will still be an increase of jobs, but an oversupply of people graduating from the increased number of pharmacy schools opening, making it more competitive. Well, how does the job outlook for pharmacists in the next 10 years compare to that of an engineer or doctor?

It's OK to consider the job outlook when trying to choose a career, but take every projection you hear (good and bad) with a grain of salt. Or several grains. Focus on choosing a career that's a good fit for you and avoid trying to predict the future.

Exactly, the number of jobs will increase but the number of students will increase MUCH FASTER. The outlook of pharmacy is worst compare to MD and Dentists, but I am not sure about engineers. I don't know anything about engineering...sorry.

I agree with R2PharmD2, choose something you really love doing.

Exactly, the number of jobs will increase but the number of students will increase MUCH FASTER. The outlook of pharmacy is worst compare to MD and Dentists, but I am not sure about engineers. I don't know anything about engineering...sorry.

I agree with R2PharmD2, choose something you really love doing.

Well, love is a strong word, but at least choose something that you like enough to do for the rest of your life that you can also make a living at. I don't know if there's anything I truly love doing that I could make a living off of, but I enjoy pharmacy and I'm pretty sure I'll be content to do it for the next 40-50 years, if not longer.

Well, love is a strong word, but at least choose something that you like enough to do for the rest of your life that you can also make a living at. I don't know if there's anything I truly love doing that I could make a living off of, but I enjoy pharmacy and I'm pretty sure I'll be content to do it for the next 40-50 years, if not longer.

Ditto. Pharmacy is okay but I def do not love it! lol...It's alright...offers good money and some (hard to get) stay at home jobs and hospital jobs that are pretty good. So I can do it.

What I love doing? Going to the beach and working out. I don't think anyone will pay me to do those things. :laugh:

Well, even if you really love pharmacy, you still have to find a job as a pharmacist to be able to do what you love.

Well, even if you really love pharmacy, you still have to find a job as a pharmacist to be able to do what you love.

I doubt that the people who are passionate about pharmacy will have as much difficulty finding a job as those who are just trying to get by. Not to say that loving pharmacy is going to make it easier to land a job in and of itself, but generally speaking, I would guess that people who go above and beyond to get involved in the profession will have stronger CVs, better networking, etc.

Any profession is based on supply and demand..so what you will see happen within the next 5 years is:

1- US gov't is so much in debt..so look to cutting medicare so less customers or lower profit margin on prescritions.

2- Too many pharmacist -so salary will have to reduce, and of course difficult to find one.

3. More people will be out of work, so more people with no insurance.

I agreed you have to enjoy what you do, else when you hit 40+ years old, you will confront with midlife crisis then you will say I should of done this -a counselor said this.

Any profession is based on supply and demand..so what you will see happen within the next 5 years is:

1- US gov't is so much in debt..so look to cutting medicare so less customers or lower profit margin on prescritions.

2- Too many pharmacist -so salary will have to reduce, and of course difficult to find one.

3. More people will be out of work, so more people with no insurance.

I agreed you have to enjoy what you do, else when you hit 40+ years old, you will confront with midlife crisis then you will say I should of done this -a counselor said this.

1. Cutting Medicare will be far easier said than done. May god have mercy on any politician who tries to make major cuts to Medicare. Cutting Medicare might be the only thing less popular than tax increases.

2. Pure speculation. Neither you nor anyone else can say with any degree of certainty how many jobs will be available and how salaries will respond in the future.

3. More out of work than we right now? You do realize that unemployment is ridiculously high right now, right? I have yet to see any reports of a massive drop-off in the need for pharmacy services due to our current economic situation either. Besides, you do realize that the health care bill which mandates coverage for most people will be in effect by that time, right?

Again, trying to predict the future is pointless.

Again, trying to predict the future is pointless.

Trying to predict particulars is pointless, but I can say with 100% certainty that the future will be worse than the present, which is worse than the past. In order of greatness:

Past>Present>>Future

Trying to predict particulars is pointless, but I can say with 100% certainty that the future will be worse than the present, which is worse than the past. In order of greatness:

Past>Present>>Future

Is this principle akin to "hindsight is 20/20"? :laugh:

PS, I'm surprised nobody mentioned anything about the necro thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.