Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!
I need a little advice or overall information on a predicament I've been facing. I've recently graduated from school and took a position as pharmacy manager in a VERY RURAL town working for Walgreens. The job was supposed to be rough since they had been missing a pharmacy manager for a long time. Also there have been many customer complaints and many customer's leaving since the service was bad. Since I've taken the job, which has only been a couple of months we have had a drastic turnaround. In the little time I've been here our customer survey's and finances are all starting to grow quickly in the right direction. Also patients are steadily starting to come back, where we are even getting more technician hours. Overall I'm pleased with the success of my pharmacy and the staff I'm working with. My one major issue which I did not have a problem with before is that there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO.
The nearest real town is 20 minutes away, which is a 40 minute round trip. I work a 4/6 schedule which is 4 days on and 3 days off one week and 6 days on and 1 day off the other week. As the pharmacy manager I have some control over changing my schedule (as long as central scheduling approves) and wouldn't mind working 3 x 14 hour shifts a week, but I have an older staff pharmacist to consider. Plus my store HATES floaters, because of the bad experiences they've had without a pharmacy manager. I'm already getting my license transferred to Illinois and would not mind working 3 x 12 hour shifts in or around Chicago as a floater, but I can see how my supervisor as well as everyone in my store would hate me leaving. All I want right now is Freedom and more of a work/life balance.
I need a little advice or overall information on a predicament I've been facing. I've recently graduated from school and took a position as pharmacy manager in a VERY RURAL town working for Walgreens. The job was supposed to be rough since they had been missing a pharmacy manager for a long time. Also there have been many customer complaints and many customer's leaving since the service was bad. Since I've taken the job, which has only been a couple of months we have had a drastic turnaround. In the little time I've been here our customer survey's and finances are all starting to grow quickly in the right direction. Also patients are steadily starting to come back, where we are even getting more technician hours. Overall I'm pleased with the success of my pharmacy and the staff I'm working with. My one major issue which I did not have a problem with before is that there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO.
The nearest real town is 20 minutes away, which is a 40 minute round trip. I work a 4/6 schedule which is 4 days on and 3 days off one week and 6 days on and 1 day off the other week. As the pharmacy manager I have some control over changing my schedule (as long as central scheduling approves) and wouldn't mind working 3 x 14 hour shifts a week, but I have an older staff pharmacist to consider. Plus my store HATES floaters, because of the bad experiences they've had without a pharmacy manager. I'm already getting my license transferred to Illinois and would not mind working 3 x 12 hour shifts in or around Chicago as a floater, but I can see how my supervisor as well as everyone in my store would hate me leaving. All I want right now is Freedom and more of a work/life balance.

. Lol!!
. I can definitely understand what your feeling about the ungrateful part, because I too believe that taking the pharmacy manager position helped me to grow as a better leader and person overall. That is why if I leave I won't leave them high and dry and will use my network (ex. Facebook, studentdoctor.net) to help fill the position. Like some have said before there are many pharmacists out there who are looking for jobs; as long as you can transfer to a place where you can get hours you shouldn't have a problem finding a person to fill your shoes. If you ever look at market scheduling, you'll usually see a long list of available hours in your district, so if anything I would check the market list for the place you may be transferring first. 
\
, but man oh man, to come back and read some of these responses. I thought tryouts for the Next Angry Pharmacist
). We also decided I'd stay and train him on my store for about a month before leaving. So all in all everybody wins