Pharmacy Manger Job Hospital Description

Started by nampa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nampa

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What does a hospital manager pharmacist do in a small hospital? From my limited experience, he does the scheduling, the inventory, troubleshoots shortages, and does error reporting and disciplining staff. I know I am missing something and I am fuzzy on the list I mentioned.
Is anyone a hospital pharmacy manager here, and what is their day like? What support and direction do they get and how difficult is the job, what do you like and do not like about it, especially as compared to staffing? I await the informed responses with anticipation.
 
Med safety/MERP if there already is not dedicated staff to do so. This goes beyond just error reporting and disciplining (which should NOT be happening in response to med errors). This is more systems based approach that involves other departments at a high level.

Don’t forget juggling compliance with departments of public health, accreditation bodies (all of them...not just JC, I’m talking even Magnet and lab ones that will occasionally touch pharmacy tangentially)....also mock surveyors your institution hires. Even more so if your hospital is a chest pain center, trauma center, stroke, etc... you’re going to be dealing with those surveyors/entities as well.

Sterile compounding is a separate license in CA and needs its own attention (in terms of processes and procedures). Even if not by license in your state, it does require attention given the management of risk.

If you’ve got ADC’s you’ll be dealing with IT in deployment and maintenance, also with your state’s OSHA equivalent in certifying the construction of the rooms/alcoves holding them.

Hope you like staring at Microsoft Outlook [emoji23]

And then dealing with HR and staff who have learned how to game the system in terms of work injury...your job is to a) not get fired yourself for overt discrimination and b) find a way to fire THEM while dotting your i’s and crossing your t’s under intense legal scrutiny.

If you’re lucky enough, one of your staff members will call out sick and you’ll be stuck covering...at least you can forget about your worries for a minute while you wonder why someone just ordered Lovenox 40gms [emoji23]


Sent from my iPhone using SDN
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How much of a learning curve is all that? How do directors feed into the situation and what kind of direction, support is there?
I heard compliance officers do the leg work for the sterile compounding, etc.?
I'm still not seeing how this is more stressful than a staff/clinical job with tons of orders and mine fields.
 
How much of a learning curve is all that? How do directors feed into the situation and what kind of direction, support is there?
I heard compliance officers do the leg work for the sterile compounding, etc.?
I'm still not seeing how this is more stressful than a staff/clinical job with tons of orders and mine fields.

As a clinician, I clock out and reserve the right to turn off my phone and disappear, and I’m judged by my actions. I’m also good at that stuff.

As a manager, there’s an expectation to take work home and be available for issues after hours, and I would be judged by the performance of other people. I also suck at that stuff.

That’s why management would be stressful for me. I’d rather be running between multiple codes with death imminent and blood everywhere than be a manager.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN