Pharmacy needs to learn from Nursing... We are the dumbest profession in Health Care.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steveysmith54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

According to registerednursing.org, by 2030, the demand for registered nurses in California will be 388,000. But, the number of nurses is projected at 343,000

"Unfortunately, our current nursing board in the state is putting a cap on enrollments across all nursing schools and they're suppressing students' access to education. That's troubling. Using the board of nursing's own data, 23,000 nursing students that would otherwise be eligible to attend school, they're qualified, they're turned away because there's not enough room," said Casanover.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to hear that so many students couldn't get into nursing school. Come to pharmacy instead! Just hand over $200k+ in tuition and you'll get fast-tracked to a doctorate degree. /s

Reactions: 3 users
Good for nurses for standing up for themselves.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this something specific to CA government? I have never heard of a state board putting caps on schools. State boards don't have anything to say about accreditation or financing of schools, so how can they limit enrollment at schools, esp. private schools? I can't imagine this communistic style of government would work anywhere but in CA. Also, isn't most nursing saturation (which is in localized areas only), due to the huge amount of work visa's given to nurses? Seems like cutting foreign work visa's would be the first place to start addressing a saturation, rather than denying an education to people in the area who want to work.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this something specific to CA government? I have never heard of a state board putting caps on schools. State boards don't have anything to say about accreditation or financing of schools, so how can they limit enrollment at schools, esp. private schools? I can't imagine this communistic style of government would work anywhere but in CA. Also, isn't most nursing saturation (which is in localized areas only), due to the huge amount of work visa's given to nurses? Seems like cutting foreign work visa's would be the first place to start addressing a saturation, rather than denying an education to people in the area who want to work.
Good questions would be interesting to learn the mechanics of this. For the past few years I’ve wondered what would be stopping a state board from imposing tight regs on APPE sites or introduce very tight/hard requirements for licensing to essentially limit new licenses from being granted which could in theory start indirectly influencing graduation/enrollment rates. If a college couldn’t place a student in a required internship for licensing, they would have to quickly make some changes. The board would set what requirements are for licensing and I believe could influence/define the requirements of the practice sites and conditions in which those internships must be completed.

I had to look into this one because I thought it was weird. Here's kind of the summary I got:

Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) has a concern about something called "clinical displacement" that is, before a school can add a clinical rotation, it has to attest that it is not displacing students at OTHER schools of nursing. This served as a de facto cap on enrollment, but wasn't a cap on enrollment itself. This discussion dates back to 2018, at least.

In February 2019 - BRN took action against West Coast University (yah, that one next to Disneyland that also has a pharmacy school) and voted 2-1 to cap its enrollment. It was in the prelicensure stage and BRN claimed it did not update it appropriately.

In May/June 2019, BRN took it a step further (IMO - beyond their statutory authority) and said that not only can they impose caps on nursing programs in the prelicensure stage (kind of like pharmacy preaccreditation), they also have the authority to regulate enrollment EVERYWHERE

§ 1432(b)(S) Any increase in total annual enrollment, or any change in the frequency, timing, or number of new student admissions for each board approved nursing program or degree option.

This spawned AB 1364 which would explicitly remove that authority from BRN for schools that meet a certain criteria (like regional accreditation). Legislation was introduced and is currently sitting in committee (appropriations).

So....it's hard to say this would be applicable to pharmacy. It hasn't been court-tested, and IMO BRN is kind of just acting on its own without full legislative backing on the matter.

I had to look into this one because I thought it was weird. Here's kind of the summary I got:

Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) has a concern about something called "clinical displacement" that is, before a school can add a clinical rotation, it has to attest that it is not displacing students at OTHER schools of nursing. This served as a de facto cap on enrollment, but wasn't a cap on enrollment itself. This discussion dates back to 2018, at least.

In February 2019 - BRN took action against West Coast University (yah, that one next to Disneyland that also has a pharmacy school) and voted 2-1 to cap its enrollment. It was in the prelicensure stage and BRN claimed it did not update it appropriately.

In May/June 2019, BRN took it a step further (IMO - beyond their statutory authority) and said that not only can they impose caps on nursing programs in the prelicensure stage (kind of like pharmacy preaccreditation), they also have the authority to regulate enrollment EVERYWHERE

This spawned AB 1364 which would explicitly remove that authority from BRN for schools that meet a certain criteria (like regional accreditation). Legislation was introduced and is currently sitting in committee (appropriations).

So....it's hard to say this would be applicable to pharmacy. It hasn't been court-tested, and IMO BRN is kind of just acting on its own without full legislative backing on the matter.

Actually, California has had a long history of using numerus clausus policies as applied to medicine, training, and staffing. That was behind the limited allocation for rural MD physicians which DOs started to practice in those areas. Alarmed by the increasingly strong competition, the AMA got CA to pass a law to give all DOs an MD degree, converted all DO schools including UCI and the planned Davis from DO to MD, and outlawed further licensing of DOs in the state on quality grounds.

You should read the second entry, but that's why the Osteopathic Board exists separately in CA from Medicine, that the two have a tense relationship, and why CA state schools are only MD granting institutions.

It's actually within authority, but it's nuanced. I have some lurid stories about how those negotiations worked as even the AOA president took the conversion and the circumstances.

Wouldn't be opposed to putting a cap/limit in place for Pharmacists; quality > quantity needs some shifting of equilibrium back towards focusing on quality

Yes... the number of straight up dorks in pharmacy is alarming

Maybe they need all those nurses to take care of the growing homeless population...

Maybe they need all those nurses to take care of the growing homeless population...

Lol, we don’t care about the homeless population out here, isn’t it obvious?

Sent from my iPad using SDN