pharmacy or dentistry?

Started by ASuw
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ASuw

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone..

Help me people please. I am really confused, should i apply to dentistry or pharmacy?

Pharmacy is a very good profession but one thing which deters me is long hours and i have heard that the work can get very boring some times. On the other hand i heard dentistry can be very exciting and not boring but u get sued and you have to follow up insurance companies to get your money.

I actually dont mind average salary but i would like to work at regular hours and not much tension and probably that's one of the main reason that i am not even considering medicine as an option.


thanks in advance for your replies 🙂
 
Pharmacy no question (a little biased..)
Depends on where you work, there's never a dull moment at my store.
Do you really want to stair in mouths forever? The normal ones wouldn't be bad, but its when you have to see the worst of the worst that would get me.
I think the main difference in hours is that all retail pharmacies are open on the weekends, most dentist offices are closed sunday, and sometimes saturday. I dont know about the length of shifts for dentists though. Pharmacists at my store used to 10 hrs, but they were changed to 8hrs.

I just prefer pharm
 
I think pharmacy is pretty exciting. There are so many disciplines you can pursue after you graduate. To name a few, there are: nuclear pharmacy (where you use radioactive materials to treat patients), compounding pharmacy ( you can formulate your own medication), and clinical pharmacy (you can interact with nurses and doctors to help with patient's disease states). There are many other possibilities in pharmacy, just don't think that it's only dispensing medication behind a counter.

Regarding the long hours, it's only for certain fields in pharmacy. I think you can definitely pick and choose the hours you wish to work. My pharmacist owns her own store and she works regular hours. She does admit that it can be stressful, but interacting with patients makes up for it.

All in all, pursue a profession that makes you happy. Dig a little more into each profession if you're unsure. Try volunteering at different fields of pharmacy to see if it fits you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know why you would think that dentistry is exciting. Considering most of the work you do involves patients that have already been numbed up and are unable to communicate and people hate coming to see you then I can understand why the suicide rate is so high with dentists. Trying to decide whether to be a pharmacist or a dentist is like deciding whether to be an actor or a painter. Both come from similar disciplines but they are so different that I think the question begs the point that you don't really know what you want to be.
 
I can understand why the suicide rate is so high with dentists.

I'm pretty sure the dentist = suicides!!! is an example of small sample size bias.
but u get sued and you have to follow up insurance companies to get your money.
If you'd enjoy dentistry more, I don't think those are "deal-breakers." I'm sure you don't get sued very often and I'm pretty sure you have to deal with a lot of insurance company B.S. as a pharmacist. Except as a pharmacist, you won't be dealing with the companies in an attempt to get your money. I'd suggest you do what you find is more enjoyable. I mean, as a pharmacist you COULD lose your license and get jailed because a pharm. tech. used too much... saline? and killed some woman's kid. Maybe dentists have to deal with similar malpractice issues, but don't let a few horror stories bother you too much, unless you find out that a dentist has a 95% chance of being involved in a soul-sucking lawsuit.
 
This is MY own perspective.

I prefer pharmacy over dentistry. After dental school, you need to have a plan as to how you are going to pay back those loans. Dental residencies are competitive (as are pharmacy) and you need to get top grades to get into those slots (likewise for pharm) if you want a residency. On the other hand, if you're going to be a general dentist which is what most people who graduate school do, you need to frame your to mindset more in the business side and decide on location, hire assistants, and get clients. It's still a long road before you actually make the salary that "successful" dentists earn. Overhead costs, dental equipment, and you need to consider that where you practice and make the time and investment. You also should be in charge of the hiring. And the possibility to start a clinic. If you want to be more the boss, then dentistry is also a positive. You get well respected, a professional degree, you can frame your hours to your needs, less liability that a physician, and you can earn good dollar per hour wage. Shadow a dentist and talk to dental students. That will get you really interested in what you could do in the profession. Pharmacy has opportunities other than retail, mainly in the hospital dispensing in different units. It provides a professional and respected job, flexibility in family-raising, you could be a pharmacist till you are very old (longevity), earn decent salary for hours worked, you don't have to take the work home with you and have personal liability, opportunities to move and relocate should your significant other need to relocate, job security, and you do not have to deal with blood, saliva, bodily fluids and see emotional/disturbing/scarring/crying moments that entails others. Pharmacy is also intellectually challenging and you have to be precise. Clinical pharmacy questions are difficult and the exams are no cake walk. You won't necessarily get to be the boss, you take script orders from others and deal with nurses, or insurance companies but overall for me, being able to find time off work and spend family time is the most important job of all. Downsides are that you are a health provider, but you're not as respected as other health professionals (whatever, yell at me all you want). But when people behind the counter want their medication they demand it now and I've seen people act totally disrespectful to pharmacists. Not realizing they have had to go through 4 years of education to have the privelege of filling their script. Even customers at retail have awful attitudes towards pharmacists. Also income is stagnant and does not increase. Not much room to get the bigger paycheck as opposed to dentists. If you're willing to put in the time and effort that dentistry requires then, that would be a great job too. All jobs are somewhat repetitive eventually. And at the end of the day, it's a job afterall. Both are great fields, get to help others, intellectually demanding and require a professional license. But they both have different bottom lines which is why that the pay scale is different. Primarily dependent on how much liability you have to your services delivered. And that, is just my OWN opinion. Bottom line: Make sure you shadow others for extended periods of time so you can actually experience what a day would be like, and that you know what you're getting yourself into. Because you'll be doing this for a good portion of time.
 
Last edited:
Thanks so much for your replies 🙂 it was much appreciated.

My main and probably only concern is to get time to spend with family. I dont want to indulge myself so much so that i dont have time for me and family.
 
Thanks so much for your replies 🙂 it was much appreciated.

My main and probably only concern is to get time to spend with family. I dont want to indulge myself so much so that i dont have time for me and family.

You want to work in people's filthy mouths all day? Hey, somebody has got to do it. 👍
 
Thanks so much for your replies 🙂 it was much appreciated.

My main and probably only concern is to get time to spend with family. I dont want to indulge myself so much so that i dont have time for me and family.

If you do retail pharmacy, you've got a pretty good chance that you'll find time to spend with your family. I know of a few pharmacists that are only working MAX 3 days a week. Are they bringing home fat cash? On a pro-rated scale, yes. 😉 Pharmacy definitely gives you flexibility.
 
Hello everyone..

Help me people please. I am really confused, should i apply to dentistry or pharmacy?

Pharmacy is a very good profession but one thing which deters me is long hours and i have heard that the work can get very boring some times. On the other hand i heard dentistry can be very exciting and not boring but u get sued and you have to follow up insurance companies to get your money.

I actually dont mind average salary but i would like to work at regular hours and not much tension and probably that's one of the main reason that i am not even considering medicine as an option.


thanks in advance for your replies 🙂

There is more to the job than the hours that you should also considered. I use to be a Pre-Dental until I volunteer/shadow at a dental office. Even though I enjoy my time there, I notice that what I thought being a dentist is all about isn't really that great. My dentist was so stress out having to manage a business and deal with insurances. Plus, I can't really see my self sitting the entire day working.

So I guess you are going to have to ask yourself, "Do I want to get up every morning and do this?" My answer is NO. So that is why I am now a Pre-Pharm. 🙂
 
Neither, freelance photography for National Geographic Magazine! :idea:

Hey now...if we are going to go that route than Supermodel would the way to go! Wouldn't mind signing Gisele Bundchen's contract. LOL...🙂