Pharmacy or doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patrick3142

Reaction score
Which is a better choice for having a better social life? Pharmacy takes 8 years a doctor takes only 3 more

Members don't see this ad.

Do you wanna be employed or not?

Reactions: 1 users
pharmacy. you'll not have to see all that unpleasant stuff, that doctors always do. if I returned to my past, I would choose to be a pharmacist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which is a better choice for having a better social life? Pharmacy takes 8 years a doctor takes only 3 more

Strictly based on social life: Pharmacy

Based on better hrs (excluding outliers): Pharmacy
“Better hrs does not imply great hrs...”

Based on job availability: Doctor

Based on financial risk / job ratio: Doctor

Reactions: 1 user

pharamcy actually only takes 4 years... 1 year community college prereqs and then 3 year program.

so a real degree aka MD takes 4 + 4 + 4 residency so 8 more years. MD = 12 year degree pharmacy = 4 year degree. The plus is that a MD degree is actually useful for getting a job.

I think pharmacy allows you to have a better social life for multiple reasons.

#1 When applying to schools, all med schools require an MCAT or GRE score which take a lot of time to prepare for. For pharmacy not all schools require an entrance exam (PCAT) so you don’t have to spend all that time preparing.
#2 In med school you have to do a residency after the four years it takes you to get through school. From what I understand the residencies can be up to 80 hours/week of work for 2-6 years. In pharmacy you don’t have to do a residency to get a job after school.
#3 You don’t have to be on call as a pharmacist (like ever if you don’t want) and as a doctor odds are good you’ll have to be on call at some point in your career.
#4 There are accelerated PharmD programs that can get you in and out in 3 years. Although, those accelerated programs don’t allow for summer breaks and require a lot of work, that is still only three years.

For me getting my PharmD is going to take 8 years. I’ve completed 4 years of undergrad and 4 years in my program left, however, I have seen people get accepted into pharmacy school with only 2 years of undergraduate work completed. That would make it 6 years to get your PharmD. If you were to do an accelerated program it could potentially only take you 5 years.

Computer programming would still be the best choice out of all. You get a far better social life compared to both and a return on investment that might be even better than that of a doctor.

Computer programming would still be the best choice out of all. You get a far better social life compared to both and a return on investment that might be even better than that of a doctor.
And it's actually in demand unlike pharmDs.

Choice is yours! If you are passionate about doctor: no doubt go for it.

You have plenty of medical universities abroad that would help you succeed in accomplishing this.

Choice is yours! If you are passionate about doctor: no doubt go for it.

You have plenty of medical universities abroad that would help you succeed in accomplishing this.

No reason to study abroad if you live in the US. That would actually hurt your residency chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users