Pharmacy or Master of Biotechnology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD or Biotech

• PharmD

• Biotech

Results are only viewable after voting.

bbb1127

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I just recently got an acceptance to University of Waterloo's PharmD program.

I am currently at UofT Missisauga's Master of Biotechnology program and it seems pretty good at opening doors to the pharma industries with its paid internships, as well as having a wide range of jobs. Also, there seems to be an increasing demand in biotech.

I'm conflicted to whether I should stay in the program or switch to the PharmD. I know that PharmD also opens doors to the industry with all the inter professional work they do and work as a drug expert in teams as well as being able to help others as a practising pharmacist.

I do want to have that clinical aspect in my career where I can help people, but I also don't want to limit my choices of the kind of work I can do. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm conflicted to whether I should stay in the program or switch to the PharmD. I know that PharmD also opens doors to the industry with all the inter professional work they do and work as a drug expert in teams as well as being able to help others as a practising pharmacist.

I do want to have that clinical aspect in my career where I can help people, but I also don't want to limit my choices of the kind of work I can do. What are your thoughts?

Stay in biotech. It is true that there are some positions that demand a PharmD that allow you to be a drug expert in a team, but the reality is that these positions are far and few between. The vast majority (60-70%) of the jobs are still in retail. Even the majority of hospital pharmacists are involved mostly in dispensing.

PharmD might opens the door for some higher position much as medical Liaison, director, regulatory manager. Master is useful when you combine with lots of job experiences.

do you want to be a pharmacist? If yes do the PharmD

No? Stay in the mbiotech. Simple.