Pharmacy or Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daysinnnc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a sophmore at UNC and i am confused about which carrear to choose from
I have a 3.6 GPA and i work at walgreens but after going to the med school open house at unc i am confused
Please help me take the right path...

What do the future holds for two of these carrear..:(

Reason i asked because, our organic professor told us that pharma companies are comin up with new pharma robots which does everything by itself and in future there will be no need for pharmacist

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.6 GPA and i work at walgreens but after going to the med school open house at unc i am confused

The first step in your "carrear" should be learning to spell CAREER right. As far as planning your future, flip a coin.

In all seriousness though, you really need to evaluate both paths and decide for yourself. You'll get a lot of opinions here, but with your life it's your opinion that truly counts. Good luck!

Go Medicine

I work at a hospital pharmacy and it seems like the pharmacists' jobs are so boooooooooooring!

like the post above says, you need to weigh the pros and cons of each before you decide

Members don't see this ad :)
Pros of pharmacy
-easy hours
-shorter school
-more money(per hour)
-your colleagues don't mind using the word "money", or asking for their compansation.
-Your employers(big pharmaceutical companies) have your back, and they are strong politically.
-less stress
-no litigation

Cons of pharmacy
-monotony
-might end up working at Walmart.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Pros of Medicine
-more cerebral
-Some specialties get payed well(questionable in the future)
-a little bit more prestige
-job security

Cons of medicine
-litigation.
-colleagues willing to sell out the profession in the name of altruism.
-declining salaries.
-long ass training(involving lots of degradation, sleep deprivation,and ass kissing).
-residency.
-more tests than you care for.
-more debt.

Pros of pharmacy
-easy hours
-shorter school
-more money(per hour)
-your colleagues don't mind using the word "money", or asking for their compansation.
-Your employers(big pharmaceutical companies) have your back, and they are strong politically.
-less stress
-no litigation

you are kidding right. here is a little exerpt from us news:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/best_careers_2007/careertable.htm

physician is highest paid. think twice before you dish out such uneducated information that you probably just heard from another whining sdner.

there is no such thing as a free lunch. you dont earn more money for less schooling end of story.

oh yea, and you can own your own pharmacy and still get sued to ****. you can also be a doctor who works in a hospital that has an all star attorney dream team.

you are kidding right. here is a little exerpt from us news:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/best_careers_2007/careertable.htm

physician is highest paid. think twice before you dish out such uneducated information that you probably just heard from another whining sdner.

there is no such thing as a free lunch. you dont earn more money for less schooling end of story.

oh yea, and you can own your own pharmacy and still get sued to ****. you can also be a doctor who works in a hospital that has an all star attorney dream team.

Go and calculate the total hours logged by a primary care doctor through out their career(including residency) and divide their total potential earning by that. Then I need you to do the same for a pharmacist, and come report back to us what you found.

To get you started, let me tell you that an average pharmacist today now makes about 103K with 40hrs of work a week. The average primary care guy makes 132K with 60-65hr/week.

Go and calculate the total hours logged by a primary care doctor through out their career(including residency) and divide their total potential earning by that. Then I need you to do the same for a pharmacist, and come report back to us what you found.

To get you started, let me tell you that an average pharmacist today now makes about 103K with 40hrs of work a week. The average primary care guy makes 132K with 60-65hr/week.

no idea where you are getting your numbers from but according to your 60 hour work week, a doctor with 150k a year who works "60 hours a week" makes 4 dollars an hour more than the pharmacist that makes 92k for 40 hour work week.

way to skew numbers in your favor by the way. the average primary care doctor can work a 40 hour week easy. they usually compensate for the weekend by taking a random week day off. there is pretty much no litigation involved unless you really screw up.

in conclusion, you are a silly fear monger.

My cousin is a PharmD. He did 4 years of pharmacy school and no residency. When he got out of school, he started at $110K right off the bat (9-5) then after a year of experience he got another job and now works for a small drug compounding company, making $125K (again 9-5, no calls, weekends free). Seems like a good life and an intersting job. I think I should rethink my plans for trying to get into med school :laugh:

P.S. His wife is also a PharmD so they're making bank!

no idea where you are getting your numbers from but according to your 60 hour work week, a doctor with 150k a year who works "60 hours a week" makes 4 dollars an hour more than the pharmacist that makes 92k for 40 hour work week.

way to skew numbers in your favor by the way. the average primary care doctor can work a 40 hour week easy. they usually compensate for the weekend by taking a random week day off. there is pretty much no litigation involved unless you really screw up.

in conclusion, you are a silly fear monger.

I think you're forgetting the operating costs of a primary care doctor's clinic. The doc still needs to pay clinic bills, employees, etc....let's not even talk about possible litigation issues. However, a PharmD pockets his/her salary with the exception, of course, of what you give to Uncle Sam :smuggrin:

Oh, crap! The doc has to pay his staff from his own 123k salary????? I'm going Pharm.D. for sure!

I think you need to dig a little deeper into both fields in order to figure out what it is that you are really interested in...

You gotta figure it out for yourself man...

My cousin is a PharmD. He did 4 years of pharmacy school and no residency. When he got out of school, he started at $110K right off the bat (9-5) then after a year of experience he got another job and now works for a small drug compounding company, making $125K (again 9-5, no calls, weekends free). Seems like a good life and an intersting job. I think I should rethink my plans for trying to get into med school :laugh:

P.S. His wife is also a PharmD so they're making bank!

I highly doubt it if a doctor enlisted by a big pharma, running their clinical trials, won't easily double that PharmD's salary.

Conclusion: The pharma is where the $$$ is.

I work in a pharmacy and would never consider becoming a pharmacist; the job is very monotonous and the only reward seems to be the money, which is not worth a lifetime of boredom.

Members don't see this ad :)
the only good thing about pharmacy is buying your own pharmacy. i am not kidding, this will bring you MAJOR $$. My dad owns two pharmacies and he makes more than most of the physicians in the buildings where his stores are (and he has no malpractice). The bad thing is, finding a good, established business is really hard (who would sell?) and with medicare/ridiculously low prices that large chains such as walgreens and now walmart are charging, business seems to be down a little. Oh yea, and its also a really boring job. I've sat through a full day at the pharmacy; it entails: counting pills, working the register, and the occasional phone consult. Rarely do pharamcist compound their own medicine (major $$ in this but you need a physician who will take liability and prescribe). All the pharamcist I have talked to tell me that independent stores are going to driven into extinction unless there is major legislation passed that increases reimbursement and puts checks on the large chains.

I think you're forgetting the operating costs of a primary care doctor's clinic. The doc still needs to pay clinic bills, employees, etc....let's not even talk about possible litigation issues. However, a PharmD pockets his/her salary with the exception, of course, of what you give to Uncle Sam :smuggrin:

Actually, the salary comparison is valid. The physician's salary is AFTER the operating cost and bills are paid. The money generated from a clinic would not be considered 'salary' but revenue. The physician salary is the pre-tax, take home pay AFTER expenses (bills, employee salary, malpractice etc) are paid out.

There was a time when I (briefly) thought about pharmacy, mostly b/c there was a pharm school where I lived and my parents knew a lot of friends' kids who went to it.

The things that turned me off from it:
1. The lack of increase in pay for pharmacists. A pharmacist could work for 20 years and get paid the same as someone right out of school. I didn't really like that idea, makes me feel I'm expendable. :laugh:

2. Lack of options for working conditions. Most pharmacists work for large pharm companies now, few own their own drugstores. This means that you do not control your own hours and you could be forced to work overtime. Not much autonomy in that. At least, as a doctor, there is more flexiblity in work conditions (work in hospital, group practice etc), and there is a higher chance of controlling your own hours after you reach a certain point in your career.

Also, pharmacists don't always work 40 hours. They may be 'asked' to work overtime (with overtime pay, of course) but the 40 hour work week isn't set in stone. It depends on the employer. It's like any job, your boss may ask you to come in during crunch time or when they decide to layoff people and need you to cover for the manpower shortage.

3. The most clinically significant jobs also pays the least. Hospital pharmacists are paid the least as compared to retail pharmacist. I wanted to do more clinical work. Medicine is a better option in that regard.

4. Boring job to me. Medicine offers more variety.

The pros of pharmacy:
1. Shorter, no residency required.

2. Shift work. No on call (although you may have to work odd hours and weekends, but it's planned).

3. Health care job without the ick factor. I know some kids like that. They can play doctor without having to deal with bodily fluid.

Needless to say, it was a quick decision to not do pharmacy for me. However, my family knows families who pushed their kids to do pharmacy and I haven't heard any complaints yet.

However, this is a list that I made which was relevant to what I want in my life. The only way to know which career is best is to ask people who do this sort of thing. Shadow a pharmacy and then a doctor. See which lifestyle/job appeals to you.

If you are confused, then don't choose medicine.

On most days, I wish that I would have picked pharmacy over medicine. Mostly it's because of my school and classmates though.

Reason i asked because, our organic professor told us that pharma companies are comin up with new pharma robots which does everything by itself and in future there will be no need for pharmacist

What did you want to do initially..? You work at walgreens, so I assume Pharmacy? Now, if you wish to go med., the first step would be to volunteer at the hospital or get some health-related experience that would help you decide whether or not that's what you want to do for the rest of your life.

You can make a well-informed decision only after you've gotten your feet wet in both pharmacy, and health-related activities well enough for you to decide what would give you the most net benefit in life...(in terms of both $$ mooola :cool: & 'subjective' benefits--happiness, satisfaction, etc.)

However, I face the same confusion; although I am leaning more towards medicine, sometimes I wonder if I should go pharm. :confused:

btw. UNC does have one of the best pharmacy schools, and if they like to play the favorites game :love: ...you'll have a good ride! :)

I've always wanted to be a md...volunteered in an er, worked as er tech for 6 years, emt/parmedic but didn't apply to med school cause i didn't think i would get in. So I went to pharmacy school instead. got my pharmD in 2003 been working as a retail pharmacist ever since . making great $$, flexible hours, spend summers working in NY, winters working/ skiing in Utah. I take a mini-vacation at least once a month...sounds great right? I applied to med school this year... still waiting for an acceptance. But the thought of being a pharmacist for the rest of my life scares me. It's so boring! Hardly ever use anything I learned in school and when I actually do need to counsel, I have to look up most drug info. I do however, feel confident billing insurances and running the register. my advice... follow your dreams. money isn't everything.

if you work at walgreens, then you should already have your answer...pick med school...unless you plan on working in that environment for an extended period of time...i work as a pharmacy tech now, and i'll will tell you one thing, its prepared me for alot, but i wouldnt want to work there for the rest of my working life...anyways, choose what you feel comfortable doing..dont look at salary figures, or jobs or anything like that, because i've seen some REALLY unhappy pharmacists who are making a ton of money

I've always wanted to be a md...volunteered in an er, worked as er tech for 6 years, emt/parmedic but didn't apply to med school cause i didn't think i would get in. So I went to pharmacy school instead. got my pharmD in 2003 been working as a retail pharmacist ever since . making great $$, flexible hours, spend summers working in NY, winters working/ skiing in Utah. I take a mini-vacation at least once a month...sounds great right? I applied to med school this year... still waiting for an acceptance. But the thought of being a pharmacist for the rest of my life scares me. It's so boring! Hardly ever use anything I learned in school and when I actually do need to counsel, I have to look up most drug info. I do however, feel confident billing insurances and running the register. my advice... follow your dreams. money isn't everything.

when you start practicing medicine you will officially be qualified to make the comparison between medicine and pharmacy.

To the OP:

Both jobs are stressful in their own ways but you will have to do some volunteering/shadowing and talk with physicians, residents, med students and see what they think of their job and learn what the job entails and decide what is better for you.

It is hard for us to tell you which route to go but think about what your passion is and what you would be happy doing and explore your options before you go one route or another.

It's good that you are getting pharmacy experience. I worked part time (8-10 hrs) a week during freshman and sophmore years and still do it during breaks, including summer. I've also been volunteering at an AIDS home and shadowing physicians to figure out what I want to do.

Pharmacists sure do make a heck of alot of money. However, I am sometimes shunned by the lack of respect they get from the general public. To be honest, it's retail and sometimes when I'm working it seems like McDonalds (no offense, please take no offense).

I'm sure phyisicans will "bad" in someway about their work as well.

Good luck!

Oh...and pharmacists dont always work a nice 40 hour a week job. Many are open 12 hours a day (ie, Target=9AM-9PM). The pharmacists there work the whole day. Its something like 6 days in a row and then 6 days off...sometimes 4 days a row, 3 days off...etc...very scattered.

motivation.jpg

Really though, this is pretty unlikely. How many occupations have been taken over completely by robots? Maybe manufacturing but pretty much none and technology is fantastic right now. Your professor is probably trying to impress the audience.

I always love when people who have money say money isn't everything. Didn't you know being a retail pharmacist would be boring? You had to. Everyone knows its mindless. If it's so bad why have you been doing it for 4 years? No one is stopping you from doing something interesting...of course it would probably be for a lot less money. If money isn't everything then why do you keep doing it? Counting pills at Walgreens since 2003 probably isn't impressing ADCOMs.

It's easy to say money isn't everything. I have heard a lot of people say it but it's all BS. They never give it up. They love the big house, the nice car and the condo in Hawaii too much.

I hate it when people with money complain.

Both medicine and pharmacy are good careers and both have decent outlooks. You should choose your career based on which one you will enjoy more from day to day.