Arijos0222

"The Opportune Moment"
Oct 21, 2012
Is Pharmacy over saturated the way everyone says it is? I had wanted to become a pharmacist because it sounded really good for me but I am not sure that I want to commit 6 years to a career that won't give anything back to me.

If i left sophomore year of college to do pharmacy, and I got out, how hard would it be to find a job in NJ? NC? GA?

This is scary stuff, enough to keep you from going into the field.

About the Ads

Arijos0222

"The Opportune Moment"
Oct 21, 2012
If thats enough to keep you out of the profession then stay out of it.
My cousin graduated from Stanford, Summa Cum Laude and entered UNC Pharm.D and finished 2nd in her class.

She had one job for 7 months, and now she has been looking for a pharmacy that will hire her for around 8 months. She now lives with her parents and all that debt is piling on.

I don't know how one can say "compete". You get a doctorate and you can't even find a job?

Sounds pretty bad to me. Sounds almost like what is happening to law.

Jul 20, 2012
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
My cousin graduated from Stanford, Summa Cum Laude and entered UNC Pharm.D and finished 2nd in her class.

She had one job for 7 months, and now she has been looking for a pharmacy that will hire her for around 8 months. She now lives with her parents and all that debt is piling on.

I don't know how one can say "compete". You get a doctorate and you can't even find a job?

That's unfortunate for your cousin. It won't be happening to me.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
Is Pharmacy over saturated the way everyone says it is? I had wanted to become a pharmacist because it sounded really good for me but I am not sure that I want to commit 6 years to a career that won't give anything back to me.

If i left sophomore year of college to do pharmacy, and I got out, how hard would it be to find a job in NJ? NC? GA?

If you are only looking for GOOD job security and TONS of money then go into dentistry. Tons of money and no worries about saturation...guarantee job.

Good luck.

Reactions: jokersmiles and BF7
Jun 9, 2009
Status
If you are only looking for GOOD job security and TONS of money then go into dentistry. Tons of money and no worries about saturation...guarantee job.

Good luck.
No.

You can get job offers from your rotations as long as you do a good job and make a good impression. Just because you don't hear of jobs being open doesn't mean that they don't exist.

How do you know if they're hiding a job from you because they don't want to hire you?

Sugoi Travis

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2012
Status
Pharmacist

If oversaturation was the reason that knocked you off the pharmacy path, then the reason(s) that put you on the path probably weren't strong enough.

I'm jumping into the meat-grinder just like everyone else is but at the end of the day, we're doing something that we are passionate about. It doesn't matter where we get our job, whether its in the city or in a place where only a thousand people live in, we still will find a job somewhere. Having a job is astronomically better than having no job.

AlPacino

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2012
Status
Pharmacist

Yes stick to Podiatry.

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist
No.

You can get job offers from your rotations as long as you do a good job and make a good impression. Just because you don't hear of jobs being open doesn't mean that they don't exist.

How do you know if they're hiding a job from you because they don't want to hire you?
Assuming they have the budget for another FTE...

We have standout students from UCSF we'd love to hire at graduation but, well...money rules. No budget = no job...and even if we did, we have a ready pool of PGY1 residents to hire every single year.

Reactions: BF7

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
No.

I already have two job offers.

But the OP is right. Pharmacy is saturated. Can you get a job easily? NO. Can you live anywhere you want to in pharmacy? NO (if only you could! LOL)

The OP wants a good paying job with guarantee perfect job security. Pharmacy isn't it. I hear people get laid off left and right.

Good paying job with GREAT job security is dentistry.

If you are looking for tons of money and guarantee job at any city in the country dentistry is your better option.

Reactions: jokersmiles and BF7
Jun 9, 2009
Status
I already have two job offers.

But the OP is right. Pharmacy is saturated. Can you get a job easily? NO. Can you live anywhere you want to in pharmacy? NO (if only you could! LOL)

The OP wants a good paying job with guarantee perfect job security. Pharmacy isn't it. I hear people get laid off left and right.

Good paying job with GREAT job security is dentistry.

If you are looking for tons of money and guarantee job at any city in the country dentistry is your better option.
Not oversaturated if people keep getting offers. Getting a job easily in your definition sounds like not having to compete.

You actually can live anywhere you want. You just have to be flexible and not think you're too good for certain areas.

You don't know why people get laid off, though. We don't know what's going on in their lives and we also don't know their situations at work. Since it's from what people say, you never know if it's true.

I think you're refusing to see the down sides of going into dentistry.

The Recoverer

Poppin' Bottles
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2012
8 Mile Road
Status
Pharmacy Student

This is ridiculous. This is an example of one of those out of the world threads on sdn. With all due respect, how in the living world are we suppose to tell you about job security 6 years from now?

I see these threads about over saturation every day. Get good grades, work your butt off, get involved with everything, NETWORK like crazy, meet pharmacists, know your preceptors, join organizations. These are all great tools for getting you a job. If you are worried about this now, please, stay out of this profession. You'll just spread misinformation and worry others.

About the Ads

The Recoverer

Poppin' Bottles
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2012
8 Mile Road
Status
Pharmacy Student

to OP, There is a big shortage of nurses, go into nursing.

AlPacino

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
This is ridiculous. This is an example of one of those out of the world threads on sdn. With all due respect, how in the living world are we suppose to tell you about job security 6 years from now?

I see these threads about over saturation every day. Get good grades, work your butt off, get involved with everything, NETWORK like crazy, meet pharmacists, know your preceptors, join organizations. These are all great tools for getting you a job. If you are worried about this now, please, stay out of this profession. You'll just spread misinformation and worry others.
/thread

The Recoverer

Poppin' Bottles
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2012
8 Mile Road
Status
Pharmacy Student
umm..this is WRONG. There is NO shortage of nursing :laugh:
Actually there is. There is a reason why nursing is ranked among the top 3 for jobs in this country. States especially in the south are experiencing a severe shortage of nursing staff. Plus if you look on the jobs databases for hospitals for even my region, a lot of them are for nurse openings

Also the two schools in my state, many nursing students get jobs before graduation.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I think you're refusing to see the down sides of going into dentistry.
Of course I see it. Downside is the actual job. Looking into people's mouths and smelling their God awful breath! That's the downside of dentistry.

Upside is perfect job security and MORE money than most other professions.

Reactions: ali110884
Jun 13, 2012
Salisbury, MD
Status
Pharmacist
My school is a newer program in an area where many pharmacists don't want to move so there is a shortage here. We're constantly told that it's best to get involved in organizations; networking is the key. You can go to national meetings, such as APhA's meeting in LA the first week of March, and for pharmacists looking for clinical residencies there was midyear in Vegas just last month. You have to know how to promote yourself and put yourself out there to be seen. Even with this "oversaturation" there are jobs still out there; you just have to know how to look.

The Recoverer

Poppin' Bottles
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2012
8 Mile Road
Status
Pharmacy Student
:thumbup:
My school is a newer program in an area where many pharmacists don't want to move so there is a shortage here. We're constantly told that it's best to get involved in organizations; networking is the key. You can go to national meetings, such as APhA's meeting in LA the first week of March, and for pharmacists looking for clinical residencies there was midyear in Vegas just last month. You have to know how to promote yourself and put yourself out there to be seen. Even with this "oversaturation" there are jobs still out there; you just have to know how to look.

About the Ads
Jun 9, 2009
Status
I've tried making connections, but most of them are just too busy to keep in touch and rarely reply when I have a question.

Maybe they just don't like me :(

D

deleted307836

Actually there is. There is a reason why nursing is ranked among the top 3 for jobs in this country. States especially in the south are experiencing a severe shortage of nursing staff. Plus if you look on the jobs databases for hospitals for even my region, a lot of them are for nurse openings

Also the two schools in my state, many nursing students get jobs before graduation.
Actually, it looks like you are wrong. This was on CNN today:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/14/news/economy/nursing-jobs-new-grads/index.html?iid=HP_MPM

About 43% of newly licensed RNs still do not have jobs within 18 months after graduation, according to a survey conducted by the American Society of Registered Nurses.

GrimeWizard

7+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2012
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Jobs for all healthcare professions will grow a lot in the next few years. The baby boomers are going to start retiring soon and the economy wont be in a recession. Stuff will be a lot better 6 years from now.

Jun 9, 2009
Status
Jobs for all healthcare professions will grow a lot in the next few years. The baby boomers are going to start retiring soon and the economy wont be in a recession. Stuff will be a lot better 6 years from now.
Yeah.

And other people should quit predicting the future without any evidence.

RN2RPh

7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2012
Status
Pharmacist

If you ever worked as a Registered Nurse (RN), you would see that the so-called "nursing shortage" does not exist in reality. Yes, there are lots of job postings for nurse everywhere, but the majority of them are NOT for new grad RN. It costs a lot of money to train a new grad, so just like a poster said above "we'd love to hire all of the new grad, but we just don't have a budget for that". My unit used to have 9 vacant FTE positions and manager only hired about 2 new grad. In nursing, those job postings are usually filled by: overtime from current staffs, internal transfer, or travel nurses. As a result, only a small number of new grad get into the nursing workforce and thus, the job postings are still everywhere. The problem with nursing is that they get used to operate in that "shortage mode" and although they try to fix it, it all comes down to "do we have $$$?"

So it does not matter if you choose nursing or pharmacy, you have to work really hard for your first job. There are thousands of pharmacy students get jobs offers (FTE positions) before graduation every year, aren't they?

GrimeWizard

7+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2012
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Yeah.

And other people should quit predicting the future without any evidence.
There is a lot of evidence that says the economy will get better and that the baby boomers will start to retire. What do you want evidence for?

GrimeWizard

7+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2012
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
For the other stuff. I don't doubt the economy will improve.
Here is a Pew Research Center article that talks about how, "on January 1, 2011, the oldest Baby Boomers will turn 65. Every day for the next 19 years, about 10,000 more will cross that threshold." There are a lot of other articles out there that talk about this and the numbers vary, but everyone agrees that the Baby Boomers have started to retire and will continue to do so.

The Recoverer

Poppin' Bottles
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2012
8 Mile Road
Status
Pharmacy Student
Here is a Pew Research Center article that talks about how, "on January 1, 2011, the oldest Baby Boomers will turn 65. Every day for the next 19 years, about 10,000 more will cross that threshold." There are a lot of other articles out there that talk about this and the numbers vary, but everyone agrees that the Baby Boomers have started to retire and will continue to do so.
Isn't the Pew Research Center pretty hard liberal?

30Percent

Big boy shoes
Feb 5, 2011
Status

Your cousin should know that GPA doesn't matter when you go into retail. If she was applying for residency being 2nd in her class would have mattered more.

About the Ads
Jan 13, 2011
Status
Dental Student
Do you think the problem with oversaturation has to do with all the new pharmacy schools which opened in the last ten years. In dentistry, for every three dentists retiring, we are only graduating two. My cousin, who is in pharmacy school, says that new pharmacy schools pop up like weeds,schools that you never heard of and they are really expensive. Luckily she's instate, but I wonder how you can afford to pay off such massive loans.

As for nurses, there is difficulty in getting employed as a recent graduate. And schools are trying to phase our 2 year nursing programs.

Anyway, it seems like everyone and their mama is trying to get into the health professions. Just curious as to what you guys think.

Here is the link for best jobs for 2013, and don't buy too much into what it has to say:

http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/rankings/the-100-best-jobs

Last edited:

The Recoverer

Poppin' Bottles
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2012
8 Mile Road
Status
Pharmacy Student
Do you think the problem with oversaturation has to do with all the new pharmacy schools which opened in the last ten years. In dentistry, for every three dentists retiring, we are only graduating two. My cousin, who is in pharmacy school, says that new pharmacy schools pop up like weeds,schools that you never heard of and they are really expensive. Luckily she's instate, but I wonder how you can afford to pay off such massive loans.

As for nurses, there is difficulty in getting employed as a recent graduate. And schools are trying to phase our 2 year nursing programs.

Anyway, it seems like everyone and their mama is trying to get into the health professions. Just curious as to what you guys think.

Here is the link for best jobs for 2013, and buy too much into what it has to say:

http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/rankings/the-100-best-jobs
US news is the most bogus filled website out on the internet today http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=974047.

No one listens to that site lol

Jun 2, 2011
Status
Non-Student

That doesn't sound very believable. She graduated 2nd in her class at Stanford, and decided to become a pharmacist? I mean a pharmacist has a good quality of life, as in job stress and compensation, but I don't think it would attract somebody that by that ranking would be one of the best students in the U.S. Fake story?

According to http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Pharmacists.htm there is not an over saturation of pharmacist. I personally believe it's a great misconception due to gunners. I know a pharm tech who works at my hometowns local K-Mart, and they were in such dire need for a Pharmacist that they raised the signing bonus to $50,000 in order to acquire one.

Also you have to keep in mind that there are a lot of non PharmD pharmacist that have been grandfathered in. I know three local pharmacist with only four year degrees that have been in pharmacy 20+years. I think with the PharmD change the job outlook for the future is definitely going to be good. Lets be honest, very few people are willing to go to school 6-8 years.

Last edited:

glory4england

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That doesn't sound very believable. She graduated 2nd in her class at Stanford, and decided to become a pharmacist? I mean a pharmacist has a good quality of life, as in job stress and compensation, but I don't think it would attract somebody that by that ranking would be one of the best students in the U.S. Fake story?

According to http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Pharmacists.htm there is not an over saturation of pharmacist. I personally believe it's a great misconception due to gunners. I know a pharm tech who works at my hometowns local K-Mart, and they were in such dire need for a Pharmacist that they raised the signing bonus to $50,000 in order to acquire one.

Also you have to keep in mind that there are a lot of non PharmD pharmacist that have been grandfathered in. I know three local pharmacist with only four year degrees that have been in pharmacy 20+years. I think with the PharmD change the job outlook for the future is definitely going to be good. Lets be honest, very few people are willing to go to school 6-8 years.
I wouldn't rely on BLS. It's pretty well known that BLS is several years behind and has a very optimistic outlook. Plus the PharmD change happened decades ago.

6-8 years for a six-figure salary? In this economy? With all the new schools and old schools expanding? ALOT of people are willing to do this :/

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist

Discussed heavily on here before, BLS stats lag and is not a realistic indicator due to the averaging of rural areas.

Again, there's no oversaturation if you want to move undesirable areas. Your hearsay n = 1 isn't exactly valid stuff.

AlPacino

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
Notice how in threads like these the OP doesnt post more than once tor twice......just saying.

Maybe back in the 90's... lol. Is this person a troll or for reals? :laugh:

Arijos0222

"The Opportune Moment"
Oct 21, 2012
Bump

Sure there is a job shortage for clinical pharmacists, but what about all the other fields that Pharm.D's can get into with their degrees?

The Recoverer

Poppin' Bottles
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2012
8 Mile Road
Status
Pharmacy Student
Maybe back in the 90's... lol. Is this person a troll or for reals? :laugh:
Not sure why you are THIS pessimestic about the outlook on pharmacy. I understand you need to be realistic, but it seems like you are kind of mocking the highleghted statements and thinking they are untrue.

I really think they are valid. Pharmacists DO live a relatively comfortable life. And unless you are completely antisocial in pharm school and do not network, then yes, a job is going to be hard to find.

The babyboomers are still here and with more and more people retiring and relying on healthprofessionals such as pharmacists, this field will continue (even though slow) expanding.

There is really a small portion of people who are oerly worried about getting a job. The truth is, if you do well in school, network( such as getting to know your preceptors), and actually become involved in your school and getting your name out there, it would be hard to believe that you would not be able to find a job.

it really botehrs me that you bolded "the 50k" bonus? What is your reasoning behind this? Are you suggesting tha this is not very common? becuase it is. Let me just mention the elephant in the room, whether you like it or not, students go into healthcare (med, pharm, nursing) for the money.

If everyone was worried about not getting a job and staying away from healthcare, they field would never expand. Part of the reason why fields grow is taht the people in those fields are brave enough to risk it.

About the Ads