Pharmacy Practice Transition from Texas to Washington (Seattle)

Started by araytb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

araytb

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Texan hospital staff (non-clinical) pharmacist here seriously considering relocating to Seattle, WA within the next year. Any current Washington pharmacists originally from Texas care to comment on the transition? How much different is pharmacy practice different there? How's the job market? Here in Texas, we're oversaturated with new pharmacy schools so the job market isn't that great in the city. I'd likely stay in the hospital field though I'd consider delving into consulting/LTC.
 
I'm not a pharmacist. Not for a few years anyway. But, I am a Washingtonian.

Don't go there unless you've visited first during the rainy season. It rains there an enormous quantity. It's a temperate rain forest. So much so that it's a hotspot for season effective disorder. People get sick all year long. The elderly almost always end up in nursing facilities. It's a hard place to live unless you LOVE the rain. You'd be looking at up to three months at a time of overcast and not seeing the sun.

Other than that, one of the most beautiful place on earth. Green year round. Unbelievable hiking, kayaking, camping, etc...

I live in a tropical paradise, Costa Rica, and I still miss Washington's beauty at times.

Good luck!

Oh, last note, Washington, Oregon, Cali, etc... are a haven for left wing extremists and apathetic citizens that our firmly out of touch with reality or any form of common sense. Be prepared for a culture shock when you leave Texas. Unless you move to Eastern Washington.
 
Unless you are coming from Austin, prepare for some major culture shock.

This is the first post I've heard of that considers Texas as saturated. I'm pretty sure Washington and Oregon are already saturated. There are a lot of schools in the region considering the population. Also, Californians move to the northwest in droves, and there are TONS of schools in California already with more to come.

Make sure to consider the sizable differences in cost of living and taxes before making the move...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm kinda looking for a change in scenery (not just environmental) so maybe a culture shock is exactly what I need. The grass is always greener on the other side right? :-/

I'm not a pharmacist. Not for a few years anyway. But, I am a Washingtonian.

Don't go there unless you've visited first during the rainy season. It rains there an enormous quantity. It's a temperate rain forest. So much so that it's a hotspot for season effective disorder. People get sick all year long. The elderly almost always end up in nursing facilities. It's a hard place to live unless you LOVE the rain. You'd be looking at up to three months at a time of overcast and not seeing the sun.

Other than that, one of the most beautiful place on earth. Green year round. Unbelievable hiking, kayaking, camping, etc...

I live in a tropical paradise, Costa Rica, and I still miss Washington's beauty at times.

Good luck!

Oh, last note, Washington, Oregon, Cali, etc... are a haven for left wing extremists and apathetic citizens that our firmly out of touch with reality or any form of common sense. Be prepared for a culture shock when you leave Texas. Unless you move to Eastern Washington.

The weather is my biggest worry. I hate the rain but here in Texas it's hot, humid, and muggy when it rains. And here, when it rains, it pours. I heard in WA, the rain is more steady and light. I visited during December. Is that the worst it should get as far as rain/cold goes?

Unless you are coming from Austin, prepare for some major culture shock.

This is the first post I've heard of that considers Texas as saturated. I'm pretty sure Washington and Oregon are already saturated. There are a lot of schools in the region considering the population. Also, Californians move to the northwest in droves, and there are TONS of schools in California already with more to come.

Make sure to consider the sizable differences in cost of living and taxes before making the move...

Yes, in Texas there are 7 pharmacy schools (some with several branch locations) with another one on the way! Of course, we are at least 3x bigger population wise than Washington (which has just 2 schools)...
 
Texas (~27 million) has almost four times the population of Washington (~7 million). To get specific, I recommend comparing numbers of students graduating in each state vs population rather than number of schools vs population.

Washington has two schools, but Oregon also has two schools and a much lower population than Washington (~4 million). There's a lot of movement between those two states for jobs.

And then the behemoth California with who knows how many schools. I'm pretty sure every Californian secretly wants to live in the northwest.

As far as weather, if that's a real concern, don't do it. Washington has good years and bad years for weather, but the bad years are really depressing. The constant drizzle, lack of sunlight, and chill can be hard on people.

I don't think you can really get the feel for a Washington winter until you've been there for two weeks at least and the rain hasn't stopped once and you haven't yet seen the sun...
 
Texas (~27 million) has almost four times the population of Washington (~7 million). To get specific, I recommend comparing numbers of students graduating in each state vs population rather than number of schools vs population.

Washington has two schools, but Oregon also has two schools and a much lower population than Washington (~4 million). There's a lot of movement between those two states for jobs.

And then the behemoth California with who knows how many schools. I'm pretty sure every Californian secretly wants to live in the northwest.

As far as weather, if that's a real concern, don't do it. Washington has good years and bad years for weather, but the bad years are really depressing. The constant drizzle, lack of sunlight, and chill can be hard on people.

I don't think you can really get the feel for a Washington winter until you've been there for two weeks at least and the rain hasn't stopped once and you haven't yet seen the sun...


Well said. I grew up there my entire childhood and it was terribly depressing at times. If we didn't have Costa Rica to fly back to during the winter, I wouldn't consider moving back there myself.