Pharmacy Professor thinks the future of pharmacy is bright

Started by BMBiology
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://www.pharmacytimes.com/contri...ist-supply-and-demand-past-present-and-future

"Now for the good news: demand appears to be on the precipice of high growth. The role of the pharmacist is evolving towards more responsibility for patient care, and one can look toward flu season as a timely and relevant example.

A few years ago, patients would routinely visit the physician for flu shots. These days, the flu vaccine can be—and most often is—administered by pharmacists. The "baby boomer" population continues to age, and the Affordable Care Act is predicted to add millions more insured Americans who need care. As the recession wanes, those who were clinging to jobs for fear of retirement will be presumably less reluctant to retire. The pharmacy job market, like any other market, is cyclical, so it is only a matter of time for the market to correct itself—and that time looks to be coming soon."
 
Certainly he is entitled to make his own analysis of the situation. I certainly hope he is correct. He is very optimistic in his advocacy, though those in academia (as part of the problem) generally are. His school, at least, has been around a while. I guess we shall just have to see if he or Katie Zavadski is right about the future. I am already in this, and don't really have an alternative so I guess I am along for the ride whatever it brings.

Guess I can always go back to the family business.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://www.pharmacytimes.com/contri...ist-supply-and-demand-past-present-and-future

"Now for the good news: demand appears to be on the precipice of high growth. The role of the pharmacist is evolving towards more responsibility for patient care, and one can look toward flu season as a timely and relevant example.

A few years ago, patients would routinely visit the physician for flu shots. These days, the flu vaccine can be—and most often is—administered by pharmacists. The "baby boomer" population continues to age, and the Affordable Care Act is predicted to add millions more insured Americans who need care. As the recession wanes, those who were clinging to jobs for fear of retirement will be presumably less reluctant to retire. The pharmacy job market, like any other market, is cyclical, so it is only a matter of time for the market to correct itself—and that time looks to be coming soon."


Certainly he is entitled to make his own analysis of the situation. I certainly hope he is correct. He is very optimistic in his advocacy, though those in academia (as part of the problem) generally are. His school, at least, has been around a while. I guess we shall just have to see if he or Katie Zavadski is right about the future. I am already in this, and don't really have an alternative so I guess I am along for the ride whatever it brings.

Guess I can always go back to the family business.

The flu vaccine thingy is a pathetic and weak example for the increased demand of pharmacy and/or job opportunities for pharmacists imho.

Wait and see, in this case, is for the helpless or bystanders.

For everyone else who is interested in pharmacy, have a vision and a plan and start taking actions before the ship tanks. This Titanic is on course to hit the iceberg and everyone sees it, including those professors regardless what they are saying there !! 🙂
 
Last edited:
What is this guy smoking? Flu shot didn't lead to more pharmacist positions. Immunizations led to retail pharmacists adding even more workload to their already busy day.
Until pharmacists can prescribe for minor conditions (as they can in Europe), I don't see much growth for our field in the retail sector. What good is a bunch of pharmacists retiring if they outmatched by desperate new graduates?
 
Flu shots are great until we start getting reimbursed cost + 50 cents. How about when insurances start reimbursing under cost for flu shots?
 
When I worked for Walmart back in 08, the RPHs there did not give flu shots. They had nurses come in few a few days and give them. I don't know if that's how they still do it. But I thought it was smarter for them, because I am sure it saved them significant payroll dollars. I used to see help wanted ads for RNs who did this. I think the pay rate was $20 -25 dollars an hour as a part-time contractor thru a different company.
 
When I worked for Walmart back in 08, the RPHs there did not give flu shots. They had nurses come in few a few days and give them. I don't know if that's how they still do it. But I thought it was smarter for them, because I am sure it saved them significant payroll dollars. I used to see help wanted ads for RNs who did this. I think the pay rate was $20 -25 dollars an hour as a part-time contractor thru a different company.

Better to keep it in house and let the pharmacists get a lot more extra work for 0 extra pay. Payroll cost 0, additional revenue = millions. Now, that's smart for other chains.
 
I agree with MatCauthon. If pharmacists in this country can one day attain nationally recognized provider status and finally receive direct reimbursements for the MTM and counseling we provide, then we may see a surge in the opening of more residency programs needed to provide training for advance practice pharmacists, and subsequently, the creation of more MTM jobs in all sectors of the pharmacy profession. Of course, easier said than done...I remain hopeful!

What is this guy smoking? Flu shot didn't lead to more pharmacist positions. Immunizations led to retail pharmacists adding even more workload to their already busy day.
Until pharmacists can prescribe for minor conditions (as they can in Europe), I don't see much growth for our field in the retail sector. What good is a bunch of pharmacists retiring if they outmatched by desperate new graduates?
 
I agree with MatCauthon. If pharmacists in this country can one day attain nationally recognized provider status and finally receive direct reimbursements for the MTM and counseling we provide, then we may see a surge in the opening of more residency programs needed to provide training for advance practice pharmacists, and subsequently, the creation of more MTM jobs in all sectors of the pharmacy profession. Of course, easier said than done...I remain hopeful!

Probably unlikely to happen, IMO. Insurance companies don't even reimburse (or reimburse very low) psychiatrists for psychotherapy/talking. Only for prescribing and managing meds. The trend seems to point towards procedures or something quantifiable.
 
him and every single other pharmacy faculty. honestly if youve heard one dean speak, youve heard them all, same for any other professors who think we're "at the most exciting point in time for the field of pharmacy"

to be fair, there is someone like Daniel L. Brown, a professor in the Lloyd L. Gregory School of Pharmacy and Director of Faculty Development at Palm Beach Atlantic University

Medscape Pharmacists
The Future of Pharmacy Jobs -- Will It Be Feast or Famine?
Darrell Hulisz, PharmD, Daniel L. Brown, PharmD

April 15, 2014

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/823365


I don't know what enables him to speak out like that... prob won't last long with the school... 🙂
 
to be fair, there is someone like Daniel L. Brown, a professor in the Lloyd L. Gregory School of Pharmacy and Director of Faculty Development at Palm Beach Atlantic University

Medscape Pharmacists
The Future of Pharmacy Jobs -- Will It Be Feast or Famine?
Darrell Hulisz, PharmD, Daniel L. Brown, PharmD

April 15, 2014

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/823365


I don't know what enables him to speak out like that... prob won't last long with the school... 🙂
Couldn't read it bc I am not logged in but I'd get the gist. We had a similar talk with our dean..someone asked him about the saturation issues and he replied something along the lines of, "oh well if you make yourself stand out by joining all our wonderful orgs and attend all these conventions (at your own expense) then...and, that's a problem every job faces now, but pharmacy is expanding so much now that...."

Of course he then goes on to talk about our new multimillion dollar healthcare center that includes a new pharmacy building.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
again, I blame all this mess on the mandate of the PharmD degree, a degree that is not needed for the real practice of pharmacy and is purely reserved only for some academic or clinical purposes. It was mandated to "meet the need of future roles of pharmacy" such as clinical, MTM, provider status, etc all the things that were imagined and invented or relabeled old roles and functions of pharmacy with new names by those in academia who never had to practice real pharmacy.

even diagnosing and/or prescribing for "minor conditions" is basically practicing medicine. If you can do that and also compound and dispense medications all under the same roof, then pharmacy should have not even separated from medicine in the first place.

This vision was known false from the beginning but touted and mandated to make money for universities and satisfy the needs for the people who want to play "doctors" and be called "doctors" but cannot or do not go through medical schools. Everyone is happy, right??

Here we see this abuse and inflation of this doctor credential across the board in healthcare system now: doctor nurse, doctors pharmacist, doctor physical therapist... Heck, we might soon see doctor physician assistant or doctor nurse aid... lol 🙂

this is greed from the beginning and it is simple that the free market will correct this problem with great consequences !!
 
Couldn't read it bc I am not logged in but I'd get the gist. We had a similar talk with our dean..someone asked him about the saturation issues and he replied something along the lines of, "oh well if you make yourself stand out by joining all our wonderful orgs and attend all these (useless) conventions (at your own expense) then...and, that's a problem every job faces now, but pharmacy is expanding so much now that...."

Of course he then goes on to talk about our new multimillion dollar healthcare center that includes a new pharmacy building. Pharmacy is a lucrative degree. Lucrative for all the people at the top who could care less if we actually pass or not.


google for the article and Google might give you a link to bypass the login 🙂
 
again, I blame all this mess on the mandate of the PharmD degree, a degree that is not needed for the real practice of pharmacy and is purely reserved only for some academic or clinical purposes. It was mandated to "meet the need of future roles of pharmacy" such as clinical, MTM, provider status, etc all the things that were imagined and invented or relabeled old roles and functions of pharmacy with new names by those in academia who never had to practice real pharmacy.

even diagnosing and/or prescribing for "minor conditions" is basically practicing medicine. If you can do that and also compound and dispense medications all under the same roof, then pharmacy should have not even separated from medicine in the first place.

This vision was known false from the beginning but touted and mandated to make money for universities and satisfy the needs for the people who want to play "doctors" and be called "doctors" but cannot or do not go through medical schools. Everyone is happy, right??

Here we see this abuse and inflation of this doctor credential across the board in healthcare system now: doctor nurse, doctors pharmacist, doctor physical therapist... Heck, we might soon see doctor physician assistant or doctor nurse aid... lol 🙂

this is greed from the beginning and it is simple that the free market will correct this problem with great consequences !!
said better than i ever could have.