Pharmacy Research after Pharm D?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AtomicLuv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All.
I am not sure if I am supposed to be posting here since I am not a pharm student (but a pharm student wannabe, I'm a junior in undergrad).

I just wanted to know, how difficult/easy is it to pursue drug research after completing a pharm D? I don't mean after completing the dual pharm D/PHD degrees, just after completing the sole Pharm D one. I've heard its actually hard to get involved in it because mostly PHd people do that. Is this true? Also, if it is relatively easy, what sort of research is available for Pharm D graduates? Do any students get involved in it during their Pharm D coursework and then continue with it afterwards in a job setting?

I would love any information you all could give me. Also, please feel free to pm me. This would really help!

Thank you!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to get into bench research get a PhD. A PharmD will not get you into that position.

You might want to look into working for a pharmaceutical company if you are interested in drug research. They do hire pharmacists for certain jobs, but the Ph.D's and chemists are the ones doing the actual labor when it comes to drug research. I don't know of anyone doing a dual Ph.D/ Pharm.D as is done in medicine.:confused: Not to say they don't exist. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All.
I am not sure if I am supposed to be posting here since I am not a pharm student (but a pharm student wannabe, I'm a junior in undergrad).

I just wanted to know, how difficult/easy is it to pursue drug research after completing a pharm D? I don't mean after completing the dual pharm D/PHD degrees, just after completing the sole Pharm D one. I've heard its actually hard to get involved in it because mostly PHd people do that. Is this true? Also, if it is relatively easy, what sort of research is available for Pharm D graduates? Do any students get involved in it during their Pharm D coursework and then continue with it afterwards in a job setting?

I would love any information you all could give me. Also, please feel free to pm me. This would really help!

Thank you!
:)

If you want do do that you can complete your pharm D get into clinical pharmacy and then get a one master degree in clinical research. From there you can get into drug discovery or design or in clinical trials. For the researchs students get into while in pharmacy school you need to talk to your teachers and advisors

Yes its possible.

You can go to my school's website - UCSF. Click on School of Pharmacy, then click on School Profile, then go down to Major Research Facilities/Services & click on some of those.

Some of those programs are run by PharmDs. However, almost all of the chemical drug methodology is done by the chemistry & biophysics depts or are outsourced to pharmaceutical labs.

But...that might get you started on you pursuit.

btw...have you ever done bench labwork? You might try getting an intern position at your university in a lab.....it doesn't really matter what they study - it gives you an idea of being a bench lab person.

Also....depending on where you go to school....you can make appts to just talk to people in the business - there are areas of the country in which drug research is really big, if thats what you want.

I agree with SDN1977 that you should do an internship and see if you like bench work, but if bench work turns out to be what you want to do don't get a pharmd get a PhD. For one they are almost always stipend, so they pay you to get the degree. Secondly, for the most part there are no pharmd's in bench research unless it's a dual pharmd/phd. There are always exceptions to the rule but this is the reality for the most part, at least from my experience in the pharmaceutical industry as a researcher. Hope this helps.

Bench science? Or do you mean population-based epidemiologic research or intervention studies or clinical trials? There is a big difference.

You will need direct research training to do laboratory work (Ph.D. or Master's). The Pharm.D. program is clinical and your research experience is going to be very limited. As you noted there are dual degree options and they will get you into the clinical research or epidemiology field.

For a reference, I am a pharmacoepidemiologist and work in a research/academic setting. I have a BS in pharmacy, 2 year add-on PharmD, Master's in Epidemiology, plus a two-year fellowship in pharmacoepidemiology. You can get a clinical research job without the Master's but I wanted the epi focus so I did it.

hey all!
thanks for your suggestions!

I wasn't referring to any specific type of research, whether its clinical or bench lab work or drug research. I was just wondering if there are opportunities to do some sort of research after obtaining a pharm D, even if it involves getting a masters degree or a residency of some sort afterwards, that sounds good to me. I just want to make sure there are options other than hospital or retail type jobs after pharm D. I'm sure I'll figure out what exactly I want to do once I am in pharm school (G-d Willing).

thanks again!
;)

Definitely follow everyone's suggestions...get some experience first. I went to pharmacy school with the intention of going on to get my PhD and working for a drug company/university doing research on new medications. I worked in a research lab on campus all 6 years of pre-pharm/PharmD school. Traveled all over the US presenting my research at different conferences/seminars and for the most part loved it... However I started to get burnt out on school by my 4th and 5th years of school...I couldn't imagine going another 3-5 after 6 to get my PhD in pharmacology. A PhD is pretty much required if you want to be in hardcore research for a drug company. So I had to rethink everything and fortunately somewhere along the line I stumbled into Geriatric/Consultant Pharmacy and absolutely loved it.

My advice...start sucking up to profs on campus who are doing research. Work in their labs during the school year and over summer. Apply for grants, fellowships, etc. Present your research at conferences. After doing that for awhile and your heart is still set on doing research, then go for it. I'd also recommend trying to do some rotations at some big Pharma companies. I did a month at Pfizer and a month at GSK and honestly after those two months I'm glad I didn't choose to apply to grad school...but it's different for everyone, so get some experience first, then decide.