Pharmacy Scholarships from Retail Company

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GaPharmGirl09

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am applying for an intern position with CVS. I was wondering if anyone knew how their scholarship works. I'm not sure what it is called, but it's where they give you so much each year that you agree to work with them after graduation.

How much can you get each year? What happens if you decide not to work for them after you get out? How does it affect your bargaining power when you are ready to work as a pharmacist?

Thanks!
 
GaPharmGirl09 said:
I am applying for an intern position with CVS. I was wondering if anyone knew how their scholarship works. I'm not sure what it is called, but it's where they give you so much each year that you agree to work with them after graduation.

How much can you get each year? What happens if you decide not to work for them after you get out? How does it affect your bargaining power when you are ready to work as a pharmacist?

Thanks!

I believe that CVS will pay back $5,000 per year, up to 4 years. If you don't decide to work for them, you'll have to pay it back as a regular loan. I have no idea what interest rate they charge you.

I'm pretty sure that they offer all new grads in the same area equal pay. But, it could affect other bargaining such as location and sign-on bonuses.
 
dgroulx said:
I believe that CVS will pay back $5,000 per year, up to 4 years. If you don't decide to work for them, you'll have to pay it back as a regular loan. I have no idea what interest rate they charge you.

I'm pretty sure that they offer all new grads in the same area equal pay. But, it could affect other bargaining such as location and sign-on bonuses.
I was told that they no longer offer this program for P1 students.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Requiem said:
Shoppers Drug Mart has a lucrative offer:

$15,000 per year of schooling, and you work with them for each year that they've paid.

Not quite

the contract length is 3 years regardless of when you sign on

So if you sign it going into your 4th year and only receive 15k total, you still owe them 3 years

Also, the 15k option allows them to send you anywhere in Canada for 3 years.

The old scholarships they had were much much better
 
not sure how they work...
just be careful about signing any contracts so early in your career. in the 4 years that I have been out, salaries have gone up quite a bit. by '09 when you are out you won't want to be obligated to work somewhere if you can get a better deal somewhere else..