Pharmacy School after grad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Shawakatema

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently working towards a Ph.D. in Chemistry but instead I have decided that I would like to switch to pharmacy school after getting my masters degree. I am doing well in my program, I just feel that pharmacy is a better fit for me. I was wondering if anyone else has any experience or advice in switching from a Ph.D. program to pharmacy school. Does anyone know if having the masters degree will hurt my financial aid package?

Also, I'm nervous about telling my adviser about switching programs and I feel guilty about "quitting". Maybe some shared experiences would help me gain some confidence! 🙂 Thanks.
 
I am currently working towards a Ph.D. in Chemistry but instead I have decided that I would like to switch to pharmacy school after getting my masters degree. I am doing well in my program, I just feel that pharmacy is a better fit for me. I was wondering if anyone else has any experience or advice in switching from a Ph.D. program to pharmacy school. Does anyone know if having the masters degree will hurt my financial aid package?

Also, I'm nervous about telling my adviser about switching programs and I feel guilty about "quitting". Maybe some shared experiences would help me gain some confidence! 🙂 Thanks.


For encouragement, I know a previous PhD student that didn't like it so switched to podiatry.
 
Well, there was a guy with a Ph.D. in Anthropology (I think it's anthropology) in the year after us, and in my class there was a gal with MS in Biology and a guy with MS in tax accounting. So it's definitely possible. 🙂 I have no idea about the financial side, but I am pretty sure the guy with tax accounting degree had a full-ride scholarship or something, because he said he didn't pay anything out of pocket.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, there was a guy with a Ph.D. in Anthropology (I think it's anthropology) in the year after us, and in my class there was a gal with MS in Biology and a guy with MS in tax accounting. So it's definitely possible. 🙂 I have no idea about the financial side, but I am pretty sure the guy with tax accounting degree had a full-ride scholarship or something, because he said he didn't pay anything out of pocket.


A scholarship would be nice. 🙂 I'm guessing those might be hard to come by though.
 
We have a Ph.D. in Chemistry in our class. I know he was able to borrow the full amount of financial aid from our school.
 
I will be getting a Ph.D in pharmacology as well. I know exactly what you are talking about the guilty feeling. I guess you just have to get it over with. But I waited the last minute right before I need to have my adviser to write a LOR for me and then I told her. I have been thinking about the word in my head for about 1,2 months. I felt guilty that I did not follow the normally pathway like other ph.D people. But you need to do it eventually, it is better he/she heard it from you then other people. Some adviser will not ok with it, so I probably won't recommend tell them very early, because even you are working hard, and if you are sick for one day, they will think that is an excuse. Human nature.
 
I will be getting a Ph.D in pharmacology as well. I know exactly what you are talking about the guilty feeling. I guess you just have to get it over with. But I waited the last minute right before I need to have my adviser to write a LOR for me and then I told her. I have been thinking about the word in my head for about 1,2 months. I felt guilty that I did not follow the normally pathway like other ph.D people. But you need to do it eventually, it is better he/she heard it from you then other people. Some adviser will not ok with it, so I probably won't recommend tell them very early, because even you are working hard, and if you are sick for one day, they will think that is an excuse. Human nature.

Yeah! I was worried about the repercussions as well. I will have to stay in the lab for another year and during that time it could be very awkward and my adviser might be more sensitive to how much work I get done before I leave. 🙁 The worst part is that I still have a few of the non-science pre-reqs to take, which means I'll have to beg my adviser to let me take classesunrelated to my field (like economics and physiology). Not getting these classes in could delay my application by a whole year!
 
I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding financial aid. I have a master's degree and I was able to get the full amount of loans from my school AND I got a grant 😀. This is just my experience though. Good luck!
 
I am currently working towards a Ph.D. in Chemistry but instead I have decided that I would like to switch to pharmacy school after getting my masters degree. I am doing well in my program, I just feel that pharmacy is a better fit for me. I was wondering if anyone else has any experience or advice in switching from a Ph.D. program to pharmacy school. Does anyone know if having the masters degree will hurt my financial aid package?

Also, I'm nervous about telling my adviser about switching programs and I feel guilty about "quitting". Maybe some shared experiences would help me gain some confidence! 🙂 Thanks.
I have my B.S. and my M.S in biology and I am going to start pharmacy school in a couple of weeks. My financial aid package wasnt affected at all by my masters which I took out loans for. I was still eligible for 33000 in stafford loans. So I think you will be fine. Good luck..its ok to change your mind...thats why I got my masters before I entered professional school but I was wishy washy about M.D. or Pharm.D...nevertheless, Iam sure you will make the right choice!
 
This is a very good topic you brought up so I created a new thread for those of who have completed graduate school and is going into pharmacy school..
 
I have a masters degree (biology), am starting pharmacy school next month, and I am able to borrow the full cost of tuition. As other people have already mentioned, I don't think the financial aid part will be an issue.

There is a cap on the lifetime aggregate Stafford loan amounts you can borrow, but for pharmacy students it's really high -> currently $189,125.

Beyond that limit, there are always Grad PLUS loans and other private loans.

I was in a terminal masters degree program and have been working the past eight years (!)
 
Do u think a masters degree in biology helped you getting into pharmacy school? I have a undergrad gpa of 2.71 and I'm currenly a masters student with a gpa of 3.90. I will be applying to pharmacy school and was wondering if they will disregard my undergrad gpa and if my masters degree will help. thanks
 
I have a B.S. in Biology, a M.S. in Chemistry, and I'm applying to pharmacy school as well.

Shawakatema, I was in a Ph.D. program for a year before I decided that going into academia wasn't the right avenue for me. I've worked in the pharmaceutical industry for 2 years, volunteered at a local pharmacy, etc. My advisor wasn't at all happy about my decision; However, at the end of the day, it was my decision to make and I'm incredibly happy with the decision. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering the same thing about GPA from grad school. I'm doing my MBA which is a lot different than an MS, but I was wondering if schools would even look at it. I know UF probably only cares about my pre-req GPA, but since we have to put ALL college credit on PharmCAS most schools are going to see the grad school work too. I'm sure we will be able to get loans with a master's degree because I'm not getting any wealthier by remaining in school! lol