Pharmacy school and life

Started by mtslegacy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mtslegacy

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am 35 year old working adult and the sole provider of a fairly large family. I am definitely going back to school this year but will be on a fresh start program which will be starting at the beginning for the most part. I am interested in Pharmacy, hoping to own a pharmacy someday. My concern is about supporting my family while I am in school. My wife is from Japan, she will not be able to gain employment and earn enough to support us or even pick up any slack. Is there a time during a pharmacy students school career that he/she is unable to work at all? Has anyone been in this situation or can offer advice? Thanks.
 
It depends on the school. I heard some schools don't even let their students work the first year, but most don't really care if you work or not. Now you're probably just doing the pre-pharm for a few years, then the schedule is really up to you. Just manage your time and money well. I have friends that take out the max allowed of student loans and still not have enough. I usually just take half of what they take and still have more than enough to live off.
 
I'd say, based upon what I know, that theres no time in school when you couldnt sneak in 1 day...6 or 8 hours of work per week.

If you're thinking of trying to work full time and go to school...I doubt that is possible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's possible, but it WON'T be easy. You will be sacrificing something in order to spread yourself so thin. Either you'll be sacrificing sleep, studying, or family time/life (or a combination thereof).
 
Moved to pre-pharm forum because of topic.

Of the people I know that work, I would say typically the max is 10 hours per week. I do know there are a few people who work a lot more than that though. You probably won't be able to work your 4th year because of rotations. Those are 40 hours a week or so. You might be able to squeak some work in there but it would be tough.
 
I work 8 hours on Saturday and 3 hours on Sunday night. I get 95% of my studying done on the weekdays, so my weekends are pretty much free to do what I want, if I have a test coming up, I will study a little.

I don't have a family so I don't really care too much about having to work, optimally I wouldn't be working at all but I have car payments to make.

I guess you could work the weekends and a couple of hours here and there on weekday nights but you will have to make some sacrifices.