Pharmacy school help/questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sasquatchisever

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I was just directed to this forum by a pre-pharmacy student on Yahoo! Answers and I am very glad she did. I am currently a freshmen at UNR and have decided that Pharmacy is perfect for me. I would love to transfer out of here ASAP with just completing the minimum pre-requisites but before I go and start changing my whole schedule I just wanted to know a few things.

1. My counselor says it is better to graduate with a degree in Biology and then apply to Pharmacy school and while I am sure this is true will I have alot of trouble getting into a school with just the basics done? Has anyone here done that?

2. If it would be beneficial to stay and get a degree would a psychology degree be a good thing to get. Im not trying to take the easy way out it's just that I find psych. much easier for me to learn and more interesting.

Thank you so much for all your help!!!!!!!
 
it doesn't matter what you major in, as long as your prereqs are completed. I would do a major that you like and can get good grades in. good luck!
 
Hey there Bigfoot.

1. You won't necessarily have a problem w/ just pre-requisite completed, no. However, be advised that a Bachelor's degree is becoming more common, and even schools that do not "require" a BA/BS you will find sometimes that their "acceptance w/ 4 year degree" is still over 50%, with schools in CA being >90% routinely.

Thus...

2. If you love Psychology (I did at one time, hence my two degrees) and have the money/resources/time to complete the 4 year degree, you will definitely be a more competitive applicant than if you simply just had the pre-requisites completed.

HTH.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad