Pharmacy school is so overpriced!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

statepharmagent

Full Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just talking to my interns the amount of tuition is off the charts. My interns average 200k or more for loans. Have any of you wanting to go into this profession actually sat down and thought about how long it would take to pay that off or how much interest it will be if you don't pay it off especially now that the rate is like 4.45%!? Just to compare my interest rate was 2.8% and i borrowed only 100k ish and that dragged me down forever and i was pretty much paying about 2.5k to loans each month.

I dont know how any of my interns with 200k loans at 4.45% or higher with the grad plus supposed to live when they might not even have a job or part time. Folks, pharmacy is averaging 55/hr and you may think 100-120k is a lot but after taxes you get like half back and after loan and rent I cant see how this is worth it. At least MD, DDS at 200-300k debt they make 250k+ yr.

Think about it guys. You will owe so much that the 100k job you get, if you do get one, isnt even going to dent your loans for any foreseeable time. You prob have less each month than some regular job. Is this what you envisioned when you want a 100k job? New car? new house? New stuff? LOL good luck.
 
Just talking to my interns the amount of tuition is off the charts. My interns average 200k or more for loans. Have any of you wanting to go into this profession actually sat down and thought about how long it would take to pay that off or how much interest it will be if you don't pay it off especially now that the rate is like 4.45%!? Just to compare my interest rate was 2.8% and i borrowed only 100k ish and that dragged me down forever and i was pretty much paying about 2.5k to loans each month.

I dont know how any of my interns with 200k loans at 4.45% or higher with the grad plus supposed to live when they might not even have a job or part time. Folks, pharmacy is averaging 55/hr and you may think 100-120k is a lot but after taxes you get like half back and after loan and rent I cant see how this is worth it. At least MD, DDS at 200-300k debt they make 250k+ yr.

Think about it guys. You will owe so much that the 100k job you get, if you do get one, isnt even going to dent your loans for any foreseeable time. You prob have less each month than some regular job. Is this what you envisioned when you want a 100k job? New car? new house? New stuff? LOL good luck.

I agree that a budget plan has not been observed for many people. It seems that the correlation for pharmacy as a career choice is reflected in a couple of factors: Low GPA (can’t get any other career in healthcare), and fast-track to min six figures: 0+6 programs that don’t require a bachelors.

On top of this many programs don’t require “x” amount of hours worked in a pharmacy. Easier acceptance is contributing to saturation with that same correlation contributing to high student loans. Contingency plan(s) will put someone ahead if they crunch the numbers. As you said though....hard to face the facts if you don’t crunch the outcome.
 
Keep in the mind that the average American is terrible at math and finance and most likely does not know how loans, taxes, and lost earning opportunity cost work. The average pre-pharm or pharmacy student seems to be no better, which wouldn't be surprising since many of them have never held a real paying job, let alone one in a pharmacy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure where you got interest rates of 4.45%; Mine are 5.85%. Haven’t seen rates that low in a while.

I would not recommend a single soul to go into pharmacy right now.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
The current rate for unsubsidized direct loan is 6% and for grad plus loan is 7%

How the hell is one going to pay that off with a measly pharmacist salary? My loans were 2.8% and the homes and stuff were cheaper 10 years ago and I had to struggle paying loans with a family. How are you kids going to pay off interest that is more than a home loan on part time hours? How will you ever buy a home with these rates and pharmacist salary not increasing much at all past decade (going down some places)? CRAZY!

I crunched the numbers and at these rates borrowing 200k, you will pay roughly $2300 a month for 10 years! Good luck on that car or house you wanted. Kids? Hahaha
 
Last edited:
They will have to live their life as a student forever. That's what I can see.
 
I'm going to say a few things about this, but that's it I'm done with this convo.

1.) Look around you, isn't there an opioid crisis going around? Does that not tell you anything?
2.) Yes, dentistry is better in terms of $, I give them that. They don't have to deal with insurance like pharmacy and medical, and I hope they never do.
3.) In the world of drugs there's a lot of hustling. Some like it and some don't... I love it! 🙂

Pharmacy school is cheap IMO, but I'm a non-traditional student.